PDA

View Full Version : Wine and Herceptin

Cal-Gal
11-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen-

I was looking for information on drinking an occasional glass of (red)wine-organic of course or champagne while on Herceptin and could not find anything as far as if it is recommended or not???

Part of me doesn't even want to look at a glass of wine--knowing that the strong chemo I was on probably did enough internal organ damage--and why make it worse with alcohol--

And of course the other part of me--would like an occasional glass--

Anyone out there that can answer this???

Thanks in advance---

fullofbeans
11-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Go ahead I should think the occasional glass or two of wine is good for the soul..

I think the secret is to no have it as a routine (i.e. on a daily basis or even quite often weekly..) but when you meet friends/family at the week end I think it would be bad to feel excluded..

and have toast to health!

Cal-Gal
11-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Hello and thanks for the note---

Yes, I was speaking of an occasional glass--like once a month!!!

Do you know of anywhere that there are any precautions posted by Genetech or others on this?

Thanks so much---

fullofbeans
11-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Never heard specifics about the occasional glass and herceptin.. I think we would have known by now.

I had a few glasses with others on this site.. all taking herceptin

tricia keegan
11-03-2009, 04:17 PM
I'd go for it!

I'm off herceptin a long time but my onc told me during chemo it was okay to have a couple of glasses of wine the second week after chemo if I felt like it.
I did'nt go out much during this time so we arranged the second week after my chemo to plan a nice meal with wine at home and it gave me something to look forward to:)

I should point out I could hardly face eating the rest of the time so really looked forward to this and it was the highlight of my time in chemo for me and my "little reward!!
I don't have statisitics but don't feel it did 'nt do me too harm , all in moderation:)

vlcarr
11-03-2009, 04:52 PM
I specifically asked my onc this question when I was doing Herceptin/Tykerb and she said it would be fine. I haven't had any since starting chemo and didn't have much before...like you all said, in moderation. I have been thinking about a glass since I started feeling better........

margiermc
11-04-2009, 07:48 AM
I was told by dr. that once in a while ok with dinner - something to eat, pref. red wine - its better for you. I had one on my plane ride coming home from Seattle to Tampa. The next day I had blood work, my liver enzyme went up to 37, normal for me is 15. I never had a glass after that. The dr. thinks it was the plane ride, not the glass of wine. We had terrible turbulence - the wine helped with my nerves - but, I did not eat, so maybe that was not good.

But, I still like this call a nurse - they may help with herceptin and a glass wine at 1866-449-4372. However, chemo., no I personally would stay away from it - that is just me - its all up to you dr. and what your meds are and body reaction - we are all different.

dcis 8/08
liver met/10 or more
tch 3 mon. 2/11/09
herc - 3x
vaccine 6-11/09
tumor markers normal
blood work normal
scans normal

Hopeful
11-04-2009, 08:32 AM
When I was receiving Herceptin, I would occasionally go directly from the infusion to a dinner where I had wine. Never had a problem.

Hopeful

Cal-Gal
11-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks for all the feedback--

Margie--which blood work checks liver enzymes? what is the test or market called?
I get a panel once a month and weekly I get a CBC and electrolyte test---I would like to check mine--

Thanks--