PDA

View Full Version : Nine years ago today - and counting ...

StephN
11-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I was trying to come to after my lumpectomy. Was having a hard time getting my blood pressure up and feeling nauseous from the anesthesia. They had to get a shot (epi) ordered to try and bring me out of it. Had to spend the night in the hospital (was not a "drive-through" day for me!) as blood pressure would not come up over 100 by 9 pm!

As I lay there trying to recover from the surgery drugs I had no idea what was in store for me. I was taking things one day (or week) at a time, trying to comprehend what I had to do just get through the initial phases of dealing with this very unexpected disease.

My surgeon came in and said something about clean margins and cancerous sentinal nodes. I could not tell if that was good news or not. Was I in some kind of weird dream?

So, now it is 9 years later and I still live my life in fairly short increments. My calendar still has medical appointments every month, and the cancer ball and chain is still firmly fixed to my ankle. Some days it feels lighter and easier to drag around and other days the weight is almost stagnating.

Just want to share that the days will fade into weeks, the weeks into months, and the months melt into years while daily life continues as best we can make it.

I thank and send praises to whatever entities allowed me to have and keep the faith in myself.

Barbara H.
11-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Congratulations, Steph!! You have been through a lot, but I'm so pleased that you are doing so well at this time.
Best,
Barbara H.

Sherryg683
11-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Congrats Steph, here's to at least 9 more years. I understand what you mean about short increments. It seems I live 6 months by 6 months...when I get clean scans, I feel like I have been given a reprive. I still find it hard to buy clothes off season, but I make myself. I jokingly say that if nothing else, my sister would inherit a huge wardrobe. The fear is always in the back of our minds and sometimes in the forefront. All we can do is keep living...which is a good thing...:)
sherry

DanaRT
11-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Steph,

We share the same anniversary. Two years ago today I was told I had invasive ductual breast cancer. I nearly ran out of the clinic.

Your story is inspiring. Wish you many more years of NED!

Laurel
11-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Loved the writing in your post, Steph, it was lovely. I wish you many, many more years of lugging the 'ole ball and chain. No wait! I take that back....I wish you forever free of the 'ole ball and chain! Thanks for being such a grand lady!

WolverineFan
11-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Congratulations Steph...Nine years is awesome!! Hopefully, you will have many more than another nine to look forward to!!

DianaT
11-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Very inspiring ~ I pray my results next week are as wonderful as yours!

ElaineM
11-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am very glad you around 9 years later to share. Many, many more years to you !!

caya
11-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Big congrats Steph - wishing you many more years ahead, hopefully with less medical appointments:)
all the best
caya

schoolteacher
11-03-2009, 06:27 AM
Stephanie,

Thanks for offering us some HOPE with your story.

Amelia

Becky
11-03-2009, 06:41 AM
You are an inspiration to me. Your knowledge and self advocacy gave me hope when I was going through it 5 years ago and continues to do so.

Sheila
11-03-2009, 06:50 AM
Steph
Congratulations...what a role model you are for all of us. I remember reading your posts when I first joined this group.....congratulations on such a milestone...you give us all hope~

tricia keegan
11-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Mnay congratulations Steph, I love your analogy of the ball and chain and I hope it gets lighter and easier from here on:)

Dana, congratulations on two years to you!!!

Joan M
11-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Steph,

Your nine years and still counting is really an inspiration to me. It gives me hope.

Joan

Chelee
11-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Steph, Congratulations...you really are an inspiration. I remember reading all your posts when I first found this board. You were one of the Her2 sisters that gave me so much hope, & you still do. :) May you continue down the long road of NED...now go out and do something special for yourself.

Hugs!

Chelee

vlcarr
11-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Thank you Stephanie! I had my 2nd chemo today, 4 to go. You give me hope and inspiration since I'm also ER/PR-.

I'm so happy for you.

TriciaK
11-04-2009, 09:00 PM
What an inspiring post, Stephanie!---as yours have always been. You have often lifted my spirits and given me encouragement. I wish you many more years times nine! I read a wonderful poem once about a person who was riding on the handlebars of a bike, going on a wild ride up and down hills, through puddles and around corners. The person was terrified until she realized that she was riding on a bike being steered and peddled by the Lord, who was completely in control. The moral was to just trust Him and try to enjoy the ride! (If anyone has that poem, I would love a copy. I think of it often.) You have certainly been on a wild ride, but somehow you just keep on going! Thank you for sharing your experiences so eloquently. Hugs, TriciaK

Jackie07
11-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Steph,

Congratulations! Your story relieved my anxiety over liver mets when the scans found 'hepatic hemangioma' this spring. I figured I could battle it just as you had done. Other issues remain, but I certainly have the attitude that I can beat whatever that's thrown at me. Thanks.

Keep on setting record, Sister!

Jean
11-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Dear Stephanie,
As I read your post I was so elated for you.
You have passed thorugh many difficult days and thank God you ae standing in the Sunshine!

May you continue to stand NED free with the sun always on your beautiful face.

Hugs,
Jean

CourtneyL
11-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Steph,

You are a personal hero of mine! I am so thrilled for you and your success. I will never forget how you reached out to me when I first received my brain mets diagnosis. You gave me reason to hope. You made me believe I could do it too. I thank you for that and I celebrate your success! May you continue to be so blessed.

Love,
Courtney

lexigirl
11-06-2009, 08:25 AM
You are inspirational to all of us Steph. I am thankful that you continue to do well and hope to be celebrating with you in 9 more years!

Hugs,
Lexi

WomanofSteel
11-09-2009, 07:32 AM
God bless you Steph, glad to have you with us.

suzan w
11-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Congrats Steph!!! 9 years WOW!!. Your post brought back memories of waking up from anesthesia, in a fog, trying to figure out what all the reports meant. My first doctor told me that I was ER+, PR+ and Her2+. I thought all those +'s were good...kind of like a report card. Go figure!!