PDA

View Full Version : Would appreciate any help or advice

tricia keegan
10-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi everyone,

I had a bone scan that showed one area of suspicion, so they want to do an MRI.

This almost scares me more than the results as I'm claustrophobic.

I'd appreciate any advice or tips to get through this:)

Cal-Gal
10-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Hi Tricia-
Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you for a good outcome.

I never had an issue w/MRI's--never understood what this was all about and I am someone who gets claustrophobic---so someone else might be able to shed some light-might have something to do w/the type of machine--I might have had the more 'open' type---

alicem
10-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Hi Tricia,

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I hope the MRI shows that this is nothing.

I have had only one MRI. I just kept my eyes closed, took deep breaths and tried to pretend that I was just going to sleep.

Hope this helps!

Alice

TriciaK
10-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Tricia, I do self-hypnosis, but still don't like MRI's. The only thing I ever know to do is to focus on the rhythm of the machine, ignoring the"knocks" as much as possible, and repeat over and over "No. Evidence. Of. Disease.", like a mantra, breathing as slowly and rhythmically as possible with the machine. The "open" MRI's are a little easier than the usual ones. Ask for a sedative and let them know your fears. I was told even grown he-men types get claustophobic and panic, so don't be embarrassed. Tell them to keep talking to you and to let you be able to express you feelings. I think they can take you out if you insist, but I'm not sure because I was told PET scans can't be stopped, so maybe MRI's can't either. I think there are three difficult things: the loud knocking sounds, the length of time, and the feeling of being so enclosed. If you can find anyone who can do hypnosis with you I think that helps more than anything.
I really sympathise and will hold you in my thoughts and prayers. You may find, though, that you amaze yourself by how well you do. Just look at everything else you've conquered! You are a cancer survivors and therefore a warrior!! Hugs, (the other) TriciaK

Sheila
10-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Tricia
I know just how you feel...but since MRI's are now a big part of my life, i do the imagery thing...put myself somewhere else, like on a nice sandy beach with a warm wind and palm trees....and a cold Guiness in my hand....I truly have learned to overcome the fear by focusing on somewhere else....and, if that wont work, as long as you have someone to take you home., try an Ativan or some Valium...just skip the guiness!!!

Henny
10-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi Tricia,
I do bone scans (and PET/CT scans too) for a living and I have seen many scans that just don't give a clear reading. Bone scans aren't specific for cancer-they show increased tracer anywhere the bone is remodeling itself-like from arthritis,stress fractures etc

So for your MRI, if it was me I would get lots of drugs and a driver to get home-just like Shelia said. Sometimes I can talk myself into calmness and sometimes I just get too wound up and that's when I like a little help. Lorazipam is a good one and last time I had a nasty biopsy I tried vallium and that really helped.
My view is that it doesn't make sense to beat yourself up if there is something that can make the whole experience easier.

Good luck

Henny

Patty F
10-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Tricia...I have to take an Ativan before an MRI. They help a lot. But you will need a driver.

Chelee
10-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Tricia, This is a common problem being claustrophobic. That's the 1st thing they ask you when you go for a MRI. So this isn't anything you should be embarrassed or worried about. In fact they have open MRI's just for people that can't deal with a regular MRI machine. I do think I've heard a regular MRI is more reliable as far as results...but even if you do an open one it will be fine or obviously they wouldn't even have them.

I just did a MRI of femur and pelvis...took two hrs in that machine. I took some xanax and just got comfortable. (Except for my back but thats due to my scoliosis.) They do give you a "blub" to hold in your hand. They tell you if at any time you need something or want out to SQUEEZE the blub and they will instantly ask you what you need and pull you out if necessary. :) They run across this problem all the time...so just call them ahead of time and tell them your concerns and see if they suggest you go to a open MRI instead. Although like the others here said...if you close your eyes and relax its just like taking a nap. I'm not claustrophobic at all and I never opened my eyes because I was resting. They give you ear plugs which work great...you can hardly hear the knocking noise. They can talk to you while your in the MRI machine & hear everything you say...so you aren't diconnected from them at any time. Wishing you the best.

Chelee

Rich66
10-28-2009, 08:18 PM
If you don't have to respond to breathing commands, music and some closed headphones might work. I had radial keratotomy (pre laser lasik) on my eyes years ago and the little valium pill MUST have been how I got through it. When I think about an opto-scalpel apparatus being lowerered over my eyes and me being asked to look up, down etc as eyeball pressure was felt..
All I can say is "Yikes! Excellent drugs!".

BonnieR
10-28-2009, 08:23 PM
As others have said, I try to go into a sort of meditative state. Zone out.
Some MRI machines have a mirror deal on them too, so you can "see" out the end of the tube and not feel so confined.

I have also certainly taken an Ativan when anticipating something stressful!
Keep the faith.

Lani
10-28-2009, 08:26 PM
where was the area that lit up? If it is your leg or pelvis or low back they will probably put you in legs first. If it is your skull, neck or upper spine they would probably put you in head first. The former may seem easier than the
latter if you are claustrophobic--you may be able to see the entrance to the tube which is open so you don't seem so far in. if it is say above your knee, they won't even put you in at all, rather putting a "coil" around your knee.

I once had an MRI done with "virtual reality" where they gave me headphones and weird glasses to watch a TV located outside the MRI past my feet. I watched how to make Thai Chicken Pizza on a PBS station while the scan was done.

If you can, imagine your favorite place and sing to yourself.

Aloha!

SoCalGal
10-29-2009, 12:14 AM
#1. Take some ativan.
#2. Tell yourself, just like an actor with anxiety before a performance...you're gonna go out there, and you're gonna come back in. For you, you're gonna go in and then you'll be out before you know it.

It is a tube, but it's not so much a tight space feeling. With an MRI, there is a banging and vibrating noise. I find it very unpleasant. My MRI's are always for my brain. So I have to wear this stupid cage on my head. You won't have that added gear. They also keep a fan on, so it's not stuffy or hot - and they talk to you the whole time. And there is a emergency squeeze ball, so if you are freaking out you can squeeze it and it will shut down the machine. The whole thing will be over in less than an hour. No special diet required.
#3. Take your best friend and she can sit and hold on to your foot. Then you will not feel so alone.

#4. Don't wear any metal and then you won't have to change into a gown.

OK - those are all my best tricks:)
Flori

Mary Anne in TX
10-29-2009, 04:01 AM
Hey! I'm sorry you have to fight the MRI dragon, but You will win! I hate the thing too. Close my eyes as I lay down on the table and don't open them again til done. Every part I hate, closeness, noise, being still, etc ...when it starts I tell it I'm in charge today because I'm winning this battle! I always think about the young people (they all seem so young to me) running the machine and how nice they are trying to be. I think about the great information being provided to my onc to help me get better, stay better, etc.
I start at my toes and direct my body to relax. Start with my breathing...."with every breath I take, I relax deeper and deeper." "Toes it's time to take a nap. We're enjoying the sunshine and breezes of this beautiful beach and it's time to relax. Feet.....etc. I go to the tip of my head, one little bit at a time. by the time I get to my chest or so, I'm relaxed and imagining good things.
I just never open my eyes....if I don't open my eyes, I win!
Best wishes for the battle. You will win!
ma

tricia keegan
10-29-2009, 04:03 AM
Thank you, thank you all for such wonderful tips and advice which I'll be sure to follow:)

Lani, the area was mid thoraic so half way down my back, I don't feel quite so scared having read your replies and knowing what to expect.

Of course the results are the next worry but I'll deal with that when and if the news is bad. You're all wonderful, and thank you again:)

caya
10-29-2009, 06:57 AM
Good luck Tricia - it could be many things... ended up being bursitis in my hips when I had a scan a few years ago (this was before BC).

Keep us posted, I'm betting on the luck of the Irish for you...

all the best
caya

schoolteacher
10-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Tricia,

Sorry you have to go through the procedure. I always repeat one phase over and over while I am dong the procedure.

Are they going to do a PET too?

Amelia

tricia keegan
10-29-2009, 10:47 AM
I hope so Caya and thanks for your good wishes!

Amelia, thanks for replying and so far the Dr just mentioned the MRI...I'll keep you posted but it's going to take a couple of weeks arranging it so won't have any answers too quickly unfortunatly.

BonnieR
10-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Amelia, for a moment I thought that the phrase you repeated over and over was "Are they going to do a PET, too?"

Whatever works! lol

Nancy L
10-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Claustrophobia was a big issue for me but Valium has been the trick to get through this test. They give me 5 mg when I arrive. Good luck--I hope you get a clean report.

tricia keegan
10-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Thank you Nancy!

Bonnie lol, thanks for the laugh...maybe if I remember this and try it it may make me smile rather than cringe:)

Laurel
10-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Well, Tricia, since you are Irish I heartily recommend Guiness stoudt, at least one, preferably two, prior to the MRI. Of course there is that nagging problem of the post-Guiness bladder fill!

Seriously, you have been given great advice. I will close by wishing you Godspeed and good news.

Tom
10-30-2009, 03:24 AM
You've heard some good advice Tricia,

Try all of it. I'm not particularly claustrophobic, but I can tell you that a little Ativan before the deal has proven to be a miracle worker for many people I've known. As part of a test for commercial diver training, I was once asked to swim underwater into a 40" diamteter pipe, for quite some distance without freaking out. That "long tube" stuff will try anyone's nerves.

While I was in the pipe I thought about all the things I had planned for the day after, as well as the huge sandwich I had waiting for me once I got dried off. Like most everything in life, it's all a game inside your head. Make that sandwich before you go to the hospital, and maybe start a good novel. Don't sweat it. I'm sure you'll do just fine. Let us know what's up?

Sincerely,
Tom

D.W.
10-30-2009, 05:48 AM
Hi Tricia,

I shake a bit because of dystonia, so MRI's are awful. But what my docs decided to do was to give me anesthesia. I tolerate it very well. That may seem extreme, but it works for me.

I'll be praying for you.

D.W.

tricia keegan
10-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks DW, Tom and Laurel for more great advice. I think by expecting the worse I'm ready to face anything right now! :)

I've posted this question elsewhere but does anyone know if her2 bone mets grow or spread very quickly?? It may be a stupid question but the onc says the mri will take 2-3 weeks to schedule and it just crossed my mind if it is mets it could be really growing at a rate of knots!!!
Thanks again to everyone, I really do always feel more empowered and brave to face these unpleasant things having posted here and read your replies:)

Jackie07
10-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Tricia,

Are you having any symptoms? Did your doctor decide to do a bone scan because of the result of your blood test? (Extra calcium might have been detected?)

I requested a bone scan after my recurrence just because so many of our members had had it done. It turned out O.K. as my oncologist had predicted. Since you've got a whole year's worth of Herceptin, I think the odds are in your favor. I've heard that Arimidex causes quite a few side effects. I would think most likely they are finding 'weakend' bones instead of bone mets. I will keep my finger crossed. [Sometimes our doctors just don't bother to explain to us why certain procedures are done. I was sent to get an Ultrasound of my liver after a CT scan. I was sure that there's something - otherwise why would they send me for another procedure? Turned out they were using the Ultrasound to confirm that the shadow on the CT was not cancer. Why didn't they tell me in the first place?]

By the way, many of the new MRI machine now are equipped with a small mirror that you can see what's going on in the room. I've only got experiences on MRI of the head, but not on other parts of the body. I do know that they most likely going to do it twice - the second one with a contrast agent (dye) to compare with the first one.

Even though I've had MRI done so many times (in the past 19 years,) I still find my breathing getting faster as the noise of the machine increases. It can be very loud and scary regardless if one is clausphobic. You might want to get on the Web and find some pictures and information about the procedure so you will know what to expect.

tricia keegan
10-31-2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks Jackie! I had some minor back ache so the onc ordered the bone scan to check although blood work was normal.
My last dexa was okay and bones looked good, although hopefully it is just the arimidex and old age lol..thanks for your help.

DanaRT
10-31-2009, 06:51 AM
Good Luck , Tricia. You're getting good advice from all of the board members.

I am keeping a good thought for you--clear (clean) pictures and an easy time of it.

Catherine
10-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi Tricia,

Hope the MRI shows a big nothing. I am claustrophobic too. MY MRI was 3 and a half years ago and I was scared. Took an ativan before arriving at the clinic. I told them in advance that I could not get in the MRI tube even if it was "open." My nurse friend told me to ask for a valium IV. I did it was great. I was in lala land but still totally able to follow instructions. Good luck, I hope it all goes well.

Hugs, Catherine

margiermc
11-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Let tech. and dr know, they gave me a call button - they would talk to me, they had a mirror so i could see out, and an ativan helped before - go with someone, so they can be right there by tech. when you need help. I will pray. margie