View Full Version : Her2 expression linked with DCIS

margiermc
10-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi everyone,

I found that article today, the labe never tested me for
Her2 status in my breast - final report for

Her2 ___

Thats exactly how it looked - blank.

Now, I know why it went invasive, I spent the whole day researching DCIS, and came up with this from Shands
Hosp., so when they test DCIS, early stage, they need
to test Her2.

Just upset - damage is done, what can I say: I feel at age 46 and had a healthy body - I'm just hurt.

Unregistered
01-30-2010, 05:35 AM
what lab test is done for Her2+? I have blood tests every 6 months, but never saw Her2+ noted on the results.

Becky
01-31-2010, 09:57 AM
When I was diagnosed in 2004 with Stage 2 bc on right, I also had a low grade dcis on the left. Pathologies were totally different. The invasive cancer was moderately ER+, PR neg and highly Her2+. The dcis was moderately ER+ and PR+ but it was too small to test further with the exception that it was low grade compared to my cancer side which was higher grade. My dcis was only 3mm and sometimes there just isn't enough.

I ask alot about that tiny dcis as many on this board over the last 5 years know. There is evidence that over half of dcis starts out Her2+ but as it morphs to invasive cancer, some (I guess if you do the math - 80%) lose their Her2+ status.

Thinking out loud - in general, half of all dcis does become invasive cancer (statistics say of diagnosed dcis, if it recurs after treatment - half comes back as dcis and half comes back as invasive cancer) Perhaps this does have to do with the initial dcis' Her2 status.

I did want my dcis further tested but there just wasn't enough of it. I hope it doesn't come back but dcis really does have a 10 year timeline and I have another 4.5 years to go to really rest alittle easier but I think for either dcis or invasive cancer, the more time that goes by the better your odds against recurrence.

After going through this once, if something comes back or I get a brand new cancer, at least I know what to do straight off rather than have this learning curve and alot of would've, should've and could'ves.