PDA

View Full Version : Pathology questions?

Cal-Gal
06-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

I am still learning on this journey--and while I am done with my chemo regiment--I still have questions regarding my surgical path report.

What do the following notations on my pathology refer to?

1.) "Intermediate for Lymphovascular invasion"-it notes that D2-40 immuno stain examined--when I looked and found that--(I think in the lymph node biopsy noted area.) It noted this;
"equivocal, foci suspicious for lymhovascular invasion not present on stain." I was rated negative or 0/1 node. And what are foci??

2.) Ki-67 20%?

3.) SPR(tubule,nuclear, mitotic) Score 8/9 on 3 tumors 7/9 on the other?

I found through reading etc. that #1 refers to the spread of cells into the bloodstream--not sure if that is correct or not? and that is usually reported as positive or negative? mine is intermediate?

I found through reading that #2 and #3 refer to a metric to score the rate at which a tumor is growing?--but I could not find what the actual scores or numbers really mean.

I would appreciate any of you that have any feedback or explanations for me.

I remain high on life today---and grateful for all of you---

Jean
06-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi Cal gal,
All good questions...and you are so smart to question, knowledge is power.

KI 67 is another tumor market test which shows the aggressiveness of the tumor. The level of the score is a predictor or demonstates the risk of recurrence. This test shows how fast the cells are growing. Newer research correlated Ki67 levels along with tumour size and nodal status to make treatment choices and decisions. I can hear your next question...what are the scores...0% to 15% are classified as low. 16% to 25% are classified as medium, 26% to 100% as high.

When I was first dx. Dr. Slamon used my Ki67 levels as a means to determine chemo/herceptin. When he reviewed my pathology report and saw 40% he said that was enough to detertermine treatment in his mind
(back in 05 early stage bc) early stage (1) bc was not treated with chemo/herceptin.
Ki67 levels are a strong way to help make treatment decisions with early stage bc.

Tumors and cancer cells grow with a blood supply,
so bc tissue has a blood supply like normal tissues in our body. If cancer cells under examination appear to have invaded into the blood vessels or lymphatic channels of the tumor, there is the possiblity the cancer cells have spread to nodes or other areas in the body increases.
Your test showed negative for any invaded blood vessels. This is favorable.

Foci means the the locialized area or main site of the tumor.
Hope this helps, many good wishes being sent to you.

Hugs,
Jean

Cal-Gal
06-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks Jean for providing this information to me!!!!

Hugs back to you,