PDA

View Full Version : The Campfire

Pages : 1 [2] 3

SoCalGal
03-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Hope you like Mike n' Ikes. Too bad I ate all the marshmallows. Next time I'll save some for the campfire. Will taste better than the toaster oven, no doubt.

It's a beautiful, crisp night since it rained today and you can actually see some stars.

I am going to pray with you now, too. I am certain that God is present...

harrie
03-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Ok everyone....lets clasp all our cold fingers together and begin to feel the warmth and energy move among us as we send our prayers out into the universe.

WomanofSteel
03-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Brenda, sending out a hug for Milo. I feel for you honey, it's a tough thing to go through. He has you to help him through it and you have us, so hang in there. Meanwhile, let me join in the prayer circle. I brought some choc cupcakes too! MMMMMMMMM! I could use a cup of joe.

Soccermom
03-05-2009, 07:26 AM
I am dragging my lawnchair closer to the fire to share in the companionship and prayers...forgive me if I 'go away" occaisionally..
Just want to share that my friend,Caryn (yes another Caryn) the one in Phila,PA, got to fulfill one of her dreams by meeting Donnie Osmond...I am happy for this warrior woman who has been brutalized by the beast...
Now I seek your company and warmth, cause I am cold too..
Brenda, many hugs of compassion for Milo
Marcia

vickie h
03-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Brenda, Warm hugs to Milo. Throwing on some eucalyptus logs for him. Love, Vickie

ElaineM
03-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Eucalyptus logs sound good to me. Prayers are going into the universe for healing, direction and comfort.

freyja
03-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Love you all.

vickie h
03-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Where is everybody? Oh, there you are...it's dark out here....
P raying for all those who have gone before us and who are leaving soon. I , too, love you all.

hutchibk
03-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks everyone, from me and Milo. He's hanging tough, but we need to get through the weekend in stable condition to see the oncology vet on Monday. He might still be able to do chemo, and then maybe not. We'll have to see...sigh. Cats (all pets really) are quite simply angels on earth. He has been the most amazing nurse through all of my treatments, I just can't fathom that this beast has stricken him, too.

This hot cocoa is good. Frangelica anyone? I've got plenty. And I have an extra Snuggie if anyone gets chilly.

hutchibk
03-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Oh, and watch out for the little traps I set on the outskirts of the tents... don't want any boogeymen sneaking up on us from the depths of darkness out there.

Bill
03-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Adding my prayers to everyone's. Hmmmm,,,,,,I just noticed an unusual number of commas in your post Flori. What's up with that!?!? I thought you were comma-less! You got some 'splainin' to do!

Colleens_Husband
03-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Commas are so overrated. Flori, could you pass me a few of those commas, I'll toss them in the fire to stoke up the warmth.

hutchibk
03-06-2009, 12:40 PM
She got her commas back a couple of weeks ago. I'm planning on using one or two (she has a lot of spares now) in your new cabana boy outfits...

Bill
03-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Lol!!!! Hucklebuck!

harrie
03-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Hope Milo improves and feels better Brenda.
While youre at it, maybe you guys can say a prayer of thanks for my goat, Cherry. This wk she got her hind leg stuck and when I found her she was just lying there and I thought she was going to die. But she is fine now and running around like normal! Whew!! She just gave me a huge scare!! Our 2 goats, Cherry and Cookie are Nubian goats....VERY social, playful and happy (really smart too) goats!! So cute!!!

hutchibk
03-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Heaven has another cancer angel as of this afternoon... my tabby extraordinaire, Milo, went to sleep and woke up in heaven. He declined very quickly over the last 36 hours, and as of 4am this morning, he could no longer stand up or walk. I still can't believe it. He was my baby and I am so honored that he chose me as his human 16 years ago... I can only hope I took as good care of him as he has me.

I'm putting a fresh log on the fire, as I curl up under his furry blue blanket and watch the stars twinkle, as I know he is up there looking down on me and keeping good watch over all of us. Sigh... oh I miss him.

Bill
03-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Oh, Brenda, I'm so sorry. Let's just sit back and watch the stars drift around over us. Tell us some funny stories about you and Milo romping around the house. I tell ya what! Let's toss a log onto the fire right now and wherever the brightest, biggest spark shoots up into God's sky and crosses a brilliant blue star, from now on, that will be "Milo's Star", okay?

hutchibk
03-07-2009, 07:44 PM
OK, Bill. You are so good with words... Thanks.

Milo was a star, it's only fitting that there is one named for him!

WomanofSteel
03-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Brenda so sorry about Milo. Sending a hug your way. I would like to hear those Milo stories too.

ElaineM
03-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Milo is watching over you from heaven.

ElaineM
03-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Maryanne,
I am glad Cherry is okay.
Do Cherry and Cookie give you goat's milk?

harrie
03-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Oh Brenda, well I am sure Milo was incredibly lucky to have found you for his family. That is a beautiful pic of him!! I will be looking up at the stars after all this rain clears and will look for his special star too.

Elaine, we do not get any milk from our goats. We would need to get the lactation going and we don't have the time to keep up with milking her twice a day.

Jackie07
03-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Brenda,

Wish I could bring you another kitty - my in-law's yard is full of different kinds of cats. I know, it's hard. My 'Puppy' passed away 3 years ago, and I still can not bring myself to getting another 'doggy'. She came to our door in 1993 and very possibly had saved our marriage, kept me sane...

vickie h
03-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Brenda, So sorry about Milo, I know you must miss him so much. Bill is right, there is a new Milo star shining down on you tonight. I love those kitties and the love they give so freely...Again, I am saddened to hear of your loss, though I know you two will be frolicking together again someday. Love, Vickie
I'm throwing some catnip into the fire so it ascends to heaven....

chrisy
03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Brenda, I know how much you miss Milo. He was a very wise cat for choosing you as his person.

We were lucky enough to have a wise cat, Tucker, who saw me through some very rough times. He always knew when I was scared or sad. He'd come in, stare at me (wisely), purr and then roll over on his back with his paw over his heart, showing me how much he trusted me and loved me.

Too bad he was actually the next door neighbor's cat because when they moved they took him away. But he was a wanderer, and I still expect to see him come running to greet me when I come home.

Now that Bill built this campfire, maybe Tucker will come join us and bring us kitty-comfort.

sassy
03-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Brenda,

Thinking of you and knowing Milo still purrs softly in your ear.

My original "Sassy" was with me for 18 years. She chose us after living at the horse barn for a while. Sassy "talked" to me daily. A dear friend found us a new calico, who my boys insisted had to be "Sassy" also. Sassy II has been with us for seven years.

You will never replace Milo, but I'll bet another kitty will find a home in your heart.

StephN
03-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Dear Brenda -
Here at the campfire we will comfort you when you need that. It is OK to feel sad. My Isadora, Fatty, Katya, Saba, Asafash, Nelly, and Bridgitte will gladly romp from star to star with Milo. I, too, have not had the heart to add a new kitty to our household since Brigitte passed away about 2 years ago. I just catsit for my friend and sister when needed.

All my kitties lived between 16 and 19 years. They really get to be like children in a person's life.

fauxgypsy
03-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Brenda,
A house is just not a home without a cat. I am so sorry you lost your Milo. The one I have in my house right now was one I was going to find a home for and then he was injured, the vet thinks a car hit him. His front leg was broken in two places and his hip was dislocated. They were going to suggest that we put him to sleep and then he got up and used his litter box in spite of all of it. They just couldn't do it. He is a now beautiful and healthy tuxedo cat whose name is Boots. He sleeps on top of me most nights. While he was confined with his cast he helped us take care of two kittens whose mother wasn't taking great care of them. He bathed them and loved them and missed them when they found a new home. Cats are special.

Leslie

ElaineM
03-10-2009, 08:56 PM
That's quite a cat you have there !!
With all the animals, humans and "the One" watching over us from other parts of the universe we are quite lucky.
I'll throw a couple logs onto the fire to warm us. Anyone for a nice cup of hot tea?

hutchibk
03-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks all - in my world a house is truly not a home without a cat or 4... sigh. In the last 6 years I have sadly gone from 4 cats to 1. All have lived upwards of 15 years - 2 have lived to 21. I miss them sooooo much. I don't have human kids, so my cats are my kids. My remaining kook is so wacky and wonderful. He is getting more affection these days than he ever thought possible.

It's gonna be a bit cold here the next couple of days, so lets put a few extra logs on the fire and watch all the well loved cats and dogs in heaven jump from star to star...

Believe51
03-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Dear Milo, I hope you can find a nice sink to cuddle up in so you will be comfortable as you watch over us. There are so many of our loved ones that you will get to meet. Look for a gorgeous black and white cat named Casey, she will make a terrific wife for you. I am so happy to have been able to hear wonderous stories about you in the past. Thank you for chosing Brenda for your Mommy, your love reigned supreme in her life. You will be sadly missed but always remembered.

Brenda, I am so sorry for the loss of Milo. When I popped over to the fire and read the news I just cried. Right before Ed got diagnosed we had to put Casey down, she had cancer. It had to be the hardest decision I ever had to make. I held her as the administered the shot and even as weak as she was she sat up and spoke to me. She was thanking me for all the love we shared with her and appreciated us realizing that she could fight no longer. I am sure Milo fought with all he had and certainly appreciated you knowing that he could fight no more. I know you will give that other kooky cat extra love, after all, kitty will miss Milo too.

Ooooh look, a 'jumping' star. I think I just seen a kitty. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_21.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_)Love>>Believe51

PS: Elaine, I'll trade you some homemade guacamole for some tea (wink)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp= (http://www.smileycentral.com/dl/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb095_&utm_id=7923)

hutchibk
03-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Your wonderful post really warmed my heart Marie ~ I know Milo is running and jumping with Casey right now. The year before I was dxed, I lost Milo's sister, Pizza, a beautiful torty/calico football with fur, to osteosarcoma in her spinal column. We treated her with rads and adriamyacin - and she got 5 more years. She was quite a warrior and an amazing little girl. Just a month before her, we lost K.C., Milo's 21 year old brother, the most elegant and dignified Balinese on the planet. Talk about a gorgeous and wise old man.

It's interesting that Casey sat up and talked to you. Milo did that in the moments before they put the catheter in his little arm. He had been so weak for the last 36 hours that he couldn't stand or walk, but he sat up, perked up and had a thing or two to say. Of course it immediately made me question the path we were on, but the vet said that it was very common for that to occur. He then sat back down, his third eyelid appeared again and he looked so tired. He went to sleep cradled on my lap in my arms. All three of my babies were cradled in my arms when they went to sleep and woke up in heaven.

Sigh.

freyja
03-11-2009, 01:35 PM
How special for those precious creatures that they got to say goodbye to you and go out in comfort and with so much love. I feel so much for you right now. A little catnip on the fire tonight.

Believe51
03-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Nice whiskers TipToe!!>>Believe51

Jackie07
03-11-2009, 06:47 PM
"All dogs go to heaven" = "All cats go to heaven"

My Father-in-law continues to feed the cats after my Mother-in-law passed away. Actually, he has allowed one of his neighbors - a new comer who is living all by himself - to refill the cat's bowel every day. The gentleman comes by twice daily and enjoys playing with the cats.

At first, it was just one stray cat that my Mother-in-law was feeding. Because it is an open country and they put the feed out under the porch, pretty soon whole bunch cats came (plus the Momma cat kept giving birth...)

My Mother-in-law's mind had been deteriorating because of Alzheimer's - but wasn't diagnosed at the time. My Father-in-law even allowed some of the cats to stay inside the house and spent money on treating worms and fleas - just because my Mother-in-law loved those kittens.

He then had to spend money on treating the fleas inside of the house. Once my Mother-in-law went to the nursing home, all the cats stayed outdoors. At night time, they either stay on top of the roof, under the floor of the storage shack, or inside one of the tree trunk.

Jack's Brother-in-law treasures his three-legged Dash-shound - it lost one of its legs after a lawn-mower accident. 'Princess' is a perfectly normal dog, just can't run very fast.

WomanofSteel
03-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Ok so I definitely need the fire today. We had a gas leak on our street last night and they came and shut everyone's gas off for a while. Brrrr! Throw another log on!

chrisy
03-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Here, have some cocoa, too.

WomanofSteel
03-12-2009, 10:15 AM
MMMMMMMMMM! Thanks that hit the spot! I am starting to feel much warmer.

ElaineM
03-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Now that we are feeling warm and cozy by the fire thanks to the warm beverages I have a suggestion.
Eric asked if it is a good idea to make Wednesday our day to pray for everyone who is affected by cancer.
I think it is a great idea to make Wednesday our group prayer day around the campfire. We can still pray on other days, but wouldn't it be nice to have many people
around the campfire on Wednesdays praying together?
The many prayers of our members all praying on the same day will be heard. It doesn't matter which religion people are praying in either. All are welcome.

vickie h
03-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Great idea, Elaine. I'll be here by the campfire every Wednesday eve. I'll be bringing fresh strawberries and hot tea and my prayers. We could all use God's help right now. Throwing on some Madrone and eucalyptus.
Love, Vickie

Believe51
03-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Great idea and if one does not pray, positive thoughts and healing energy will help to!>>Believe51

Jackie07
03-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Well, are we going to have a 'moment of silence' like kids are doing in school these days? :)

tricia keegan
03-14-2009, 04:24 PM
I just found this forum for the first time having posted here since '05! I'd like to toss a log on the fire and join you all and say how sorry I am Brenda on the loss of Milo. I have six cats, (two when dx but the numbers grew!) hubby says when number seven arrives he's divorcing me!
Anyway, on a sadder note I've lost a couple of cats I loved more than anything in the past few years and can feel your sadness.
I'm sure Milo will be waiting to greet you on the rainbow bridge some day. :)

fauxgypsy
03-14-2009, 04:50 PM
One of my friends was killed in a car accident last night. Sonya was a beautiful woman with five wonderful home-schooled children ranging from a baby about 18 months to a fifteen year old. Her youngest daughter, Lenya, is in Le Bonheur in a medically induced coma, not sure how she is yet. Please keep them in your prayers.

Leslie

vickie h
03-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Oh Leslie,
I am so sorry to hear this news. I'm in Idaho visiting a friend and decided to come to the campfire tonight.
I am just heartbroken for your friend's family, especially those sweet children. I have always believed that we should love everyone's children as if they were our own and I am stunned and saddened to hear that a mother was taken away from her beloved children and husband at such a young age. I will say extra prayers as I sit here tonight looking into the fire, tears falling, heart heavy with grief.
May God wrap his arms around her family tonight and give them some peace and strength to get through this.
Love, Vickie

hutchibk
03-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Prayers for you Leslie, and Sonya. She is in the stars that shine tonight!

ElaineM
03-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Leslie,
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Yes. May God protect her family and heal her child who is in the hospital.

sassy
03-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Leslie,

May God grant comfort, peace and understanding to you and Sonya's family and friends as they try to cope during this horrendous time.

WomanofSteel
03-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Leslie, so very sorry about your friend. My sincerest sympathies to you and her family.

SoCalGal
03-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi campers...
Just stopped by to warm up and give Leslie a hug. And Brenda, too. Maybe I'll just go 'round the fire and give everyone a hug...

StephN
03-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi Flori -
Here's a hug back to you and anyone else that needs one. Leslie - are you still here among the group?

That reminds me - hubby and I saw a movie today called "Cherry Blossoms." I hightly recommend it. There is a scene in the movie (in Tokyo) where some young people are are on a street corner with a sign that says 'Free Hugs' and they are just there to give hugs. This is interesting for a society that is often described as "inscrutible!"
It is first run and getting good reviews. See it.

tricia keegan
03-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi Steph,

Sounds interesting but a little sad to have to rely on strangers for hugs!!
My daughter in law is Japanese and when my son went to visit her home town he was amazed that people were hired at the large stores to stand at the door and welcome you and wish you a good day. maybe you have this in America but we definatly don't in Ireland? It's tough enough to get the sales people to say thank you:)
Thanks for the movie tip and I'll definatly try to see it when it gets here:)

ElaineM
03-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Hugs are great. Group hug everyone !!
I have never been greeted upon entry in a department store in the U. S. I always enjoyed being greeted in stores and banks in Japan. Some offices send several members of the staff out to say "sayonara" to visitors when they leave. I just went to my organizational meeting today. Most of the staff where we had our meeting today is Japanese. The staff stood on the curb waving and bowing as we pulled away and turned onto the street.

harrie
03-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Elaine, did you FREEZE over there all last wk??? The campfire was a real life-saver!! On Fri, my day off, it was only 55 degrees at 8:00am and all day it never went higher then 65 degrees!! (Loved it though!!)

ElaineM
03-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Harrie,
You had 55 in Hilo and we had 58, cloudy and kind of windy in Honolulu. It was good sleeping weather though. Actually I want this weather to last another month. I don't mind wearing sweaters when I go out. Summer is soooo hot and humid over here.
The campfire is a good warmer upper !!

Believe51
03-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Came to say hello and ask for a hug. I am so sad today.>>Believe51

freyja
03-17-2009, 02:08 PM
We love you so much Beleive51. You bring so much positive energy to the group. Hope we can lift you up, too. Are you o.k.?

ElaineM
03-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Here is a hug for you !! Tomorrow will be better !!

vickie h
03-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Marie, my sister,

Don't be sad
Not even a tad
and don't feel bad
or let depression be had
For in our love you are clad.
Love, Brad (AKA Vickie) XXX000

Jackie07
03-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Ditto.

(That is such a neat poem. Did you write it, Vickie?)

Wondered if Dr. Seuss had one on 'Sad' - I think I've seen one put out by PBS - Sesami Street - that rhymed everything in 'ad'.

WomanofSteel
03-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Don't be sad Marie! I brought some cute Goofy stuff to the fire to show you. I have my babydoll holding the baby Goofy and his blanket. I also have the baby Goofy that crawls when you pat it's bottom. So, cheer up little bukaroo and I'll let you play with my Goofy race car. It does all kind of neat things!

vickie h
03-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Jackie, Yes, I just sat here and tried to rhyme a little ditty for Marie. Thank you for the compliment! I love writing and composing poetry...just entered a poetry contest in our newspaper. Much love, Vickie

Jackie07
03-17-2009, 08:32 PM
So you just made up that last line with 'Brad' to match the ladder form?
[Love, Brad (AKA Vickie) XXX000]

That is so neat. I hope you win the contest. It requires true talent to write poetry, and you've done so well.

If you don't win that contest, we'll give you a medal from this board... :)

chrisy
03-17-2009, 09:23 PM
marie, i'm sorry you're sad. but it's ok. just come a little closer to the fire and let us give you a big hug.

harrie
03-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Marie Sweetness.....here is a nice long hug from me to you too. Hope sun starts shining through those clouds tomorrow for you.

Believe51
03-18-2009, 06:34 AM
Thanks to my buddies here I feel so much better today. I was encompassed by love and felt so secure that I actually slept all night long. I have not posted in 'Today's Joy' yet, but that should give you a small chuckle. Thanks for loving me!>>Believe1

freyja
03-18-2009, 08:32 AM
The fire's been great for burning away our fears...now can we find something to burn away the extra pounds I gained this year?

vickie h
03-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Jackie, I was going to sign it Chad...but Brad Pitt came to mind.....Love you, Honey Pie, vickie

Believe51
03-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Vickie, can I cut and paste that lovely poem for Ed? I think he could use that today. Thank you Lovey, I loved it but forgot to post that to you!!>>Believe1

ElaineM
03-18-2009, 04:37 PM
I am here to offer prayers for healing for everyone affected by cancer and to ask God for guidance in our health care. I am also throwing some fears into the fire, so that they will go up in smoke.

vickie h
03-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Marie, Sweet Angel,

I'd love you to cut and paste
and do so without much haste
for it's all in good fun and taste
that our wishes for you are based
on prayers that can only be traced
to God for the fears we have faced.

Love, Vickie

fauxgypsy
03-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the hug, Steph. An update. My friends daughter appears to be doing well. They measured swelling in brain and it was much better than they had feared. Yesterday they were talking about bringing her out of the coma. She will still have several weeks in the hospital but there is hope for recovery now. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Leslie

Believe51
03-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Thank you Vickie for your love so true,
That supplies me color, but removes the blue.

I value this friendship that I view as gold,
Warming my heart, I am no longer cold.

So walk with me and forget the bad,
You have made me better, I am no longer sad.

You lean on me whenever you need,
I'll give you my all, your soul I will feed.

I am stronger now and it comes from you,
Thank you Vickie for I love you too!!

Forever,
Marie

vickie h
03-19-2009, 11:34 AM
thank you, Sweet Marie, that was beautiful and so appreciated! Much love to you honey pie, Vickie

Believe51
03-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Right back at 'cha, Vickie!>>Believe51

StephN
03-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Leslie - Very glad to hear the hope for your friend's daughter. This on the heels of the news of Natasha Richardson passing from head trauma in a ski accident.

Now we have a POET's CORNER going at the Campfire. Maybe Leslie will bring her easel and paints. Anyone want to start a quilt???

ElaineM
03-19-2009, 04:23 PM
I can probably do a little quilting if others will join me.
So glad your friend's daughter is doing better Leslie.
We have some real talent on this board--------poets, artists and quilters. We should do something with all that talent.

vickie h
03-19-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm a quilter and have 2 quilts going right now. I'll bring them to the campfire with some needles and thread and batting. We can recite poetry, quilt, draw and laugh a lot. I'll even bring some warm teas and honey. Love, vickie

ElaineM
03-22-2009, 08:53 PM
I am here with my craft supplies to help make the quilt, but nobody is here. Oh I see a cooler with some food in it, so I will help myself to a snack before I throw on a few more logs and call it a day. The quilt will never get done if I have to do it myself. Oh well.

Believe51
03-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Okay it is storytime for today. This one happens to be one of my favorites. The last gift that MichelleH gave to me was another blessing.

In the mail about a week within her passing I get this beautiful card and long letter. The letter is from her best friend, Stacy from Seattle. This woman thanks me for loving Michelle as much as I did. She said that our friendship was a prized gift that Michelle held close to heart. Michelle was a very private person and for her to let me in to her soul was a blessing for her and to me.

Stacy keeps very close contact with me as does Michelle's husband. She even signs her cards to me 'Your Best Friend Forever'. This makes me feel so special and something like this was so typical for Michelle to do, she always gave me what I needed before I even knew I needed it. Through the last year Stacy and I have grown so close. We are one anothers gift, Michelle's gift that keeps giving.

I have started a picture albumn of Ed and I with places and things that are important to us. On each page there is a spot for negatives but I put a typed paragraph describing what the picture is. With us seperated by miles and miles it allows us to remain close by getting to know each other very well. I have also got to know Michelle 'before' breast cancer and I cannot tell you what a joy that is.

Now for the best part. We are starting a cross country quilt. Two of the same swatches of material will be sent and that person will make the two quilt blocks and mail them back. In the end we will have to assemble our own quilt but it will be a menagerie of special materials from us both. When finished we will have a completed quilt that has travelled from the east coast to the west coast. Those materials we use will all have a special meaning to each of us. The resulting quilt will keep us warm through the test of time. Each year more special.

On a light note I want to mention that I talked to Michelle's husband last week and I heard such 'belly laughs' from him. If you think I am crazy when you read what I have to say, it does not hold a candle to me in real life. We laughed so hard for so long that our bellies literally hurt. I cannot tell you how happy I was to see him slowly healing. He is a great father and has come so far since last May. The kids are growing up so fast and appear to be doing fine, considering. I thought that this may be important to pass on since many worry about the little ones.

So move on over Elaine, I'll help you get a headstart on our quilt so we can catch up with Vickie. It will also free up Vickie a bit, I mean come on now....how can she keep up with the quilts, poetry and cooking otherwise?? I am planning on buying some fabulous prints that replecate our unique personalities. I have also made some Vegetarian Enchillada's stuffed with refried beans and the all mighty Vegetarian Chile. I have also made some Crisp Avacado Salad and Spanish Rice. Mmmmm!! Me Hungry.

Whew, I am tired now after that post.>>Believe51

ElaineM
03-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Move over? No problem Believe 51. Besides I enjoy your stories. The vegetarian enchilada sounds and smells good. I will share my vegetarian dinner and I brought some nice rice pudding. Let's eat before we quilt.

vickie h
03-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Okay, Just finished the enchiladas and rice pudding...I'm going to saunter off to the bushes for a moment, but when I get back let's break into song and dance before we start painting, quilting, writing and playing music. Throwing on some red madrone to color the fire and make it good and HOT. Love you all, Vickie

harrie
03-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Vickie, just wondering why you are running off in the bushes....do you need to pee???
LOl!!!...just kidding....just in that mood tonight!
Well, hurry back so we can do some dancing!!

Believe51
03-25-2009, 06:00 AM
Wait Harrie, I will go fetch my Caracas, be right back!>>Believe51

harrie
03-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Ok! I am not bad on the tamoborine!

Believe51
03-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Start playing Harrie, I am looking forward to the wonderful childhood memories that it will spark. That was my first musical instrument as a child. Do not have the heart to ever get rid of it. I also have my first harmonica. Maybe we can get Bill to play that, after all, I am not a one man band

Bill
03-25-2009, 08:51 PM
You got it Marie! I can play the harmonica like nobody's business! I just wish I could play the guitar as well. Maybe if I hang around Lee a little more I can soak in some of his talent. Please share my pistachioes. We can eat 'em and then throw the shells in the fire. Love y'all, Bill

ElaineM
03-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Sorry I have been away a few days dealing with housing assistance, pension and other financial issues.
There was also 4 days of major renovations in my bathroom. The drilling made me feel like I was getting my teeth drilled during an earthquake. Lots of fun.Lots of stress. I need prayers just to get through all this.
Anyway, I could probably add to the entertainment by doing a basic hula if the band will play a Hawaiian song.
Thanking God for Caryn's miracle. Prayers for everyone who is struggling today.

harrie
03-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Oh YES.....Bill, you go Buddy and DO that hula!!!
will switch my tamborine to the uke! Now I know we are going to need a lot more room around the campfire once words gets out Bills doing the hula. Watch everyone come out of the forest!!

WomanofSteel
03-26-2009, 06:12 AM
It's rainy and damp here in NJ, so the fire feels really nice on my chilly bones. I brought a pot of nice hot mint tea. Would anyone care for a cup?

Believe51
03-26-2009, 07:34 AM
I do, I do!!

Also, although Ed does not play his instruments because of his numb digits but he will be willing to teach Bill the guitar. Up to it, Bill??>>Believe51

SoCalGal
03-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Oh- I am born in NJ:). Newark, NJ. A long time ago. Since we are around a campfire, I think I should tell my fire story from the other night...

I was trying to make gluten free matzoh for Passover. Testing ahead of time, a simple recipe (oats and water - even I can bake that). Well, the matzoh not only looked ugly but tasted like cardboard. I thought it needed to be toasted. But I felt that it would not turn a nice brown color unless it had some butter. And since I don't eat dairy I sprayed it with a dash of organic canola oil. And put it in the toaster oven. Within 30 seconds, my entire kitchen was filled with billowing black smoke. The toaster was in flames. I opened the kitchen door and then did what I always do in an emergency - FREEZE for 10 seconds while I swear the same word over and over about 20 times.

Beau was trying to herd me out. He was running in and out of the house.

As soon as I finished swearing, I thought to unplug the oven. So that helped. And then I made the mistake of opening the oven door, and the flames jumped out again! Next I got the fire extinguisher out (first time out of it's holster in 12 years) but I didn't really know how to use it (there's a pin and a trigger, but I didn't have my reading glasses on) and I didn't feel like having to clean a big mess of extinguisher stuff from my counter. Meanwhile the smoke was billowing.

Finally I thought to soak some dishtowels in water and throw them over the toaster oven. They did the trick and smothered the fire without a mess. I was shaking from fear and then I started to laugh really hard because all I could think was that the bummer is that now I can't toast marshmallows anymore. So I'll have to toast them here, around our fire.

Believe51
03-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Flori, you are my 'Today's Joy', just thinking of you in a fit of laughter over the whole marshmallow thing. All after you almost burned the house down! In fact, you had me laughing out loud again. Stay away those appliances today if you can. Good we can all laugh at this now girl>>Believe51

ElaineM
03-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Please toast a couple matzoh over the campfire for me.
I love them plain or with jelly or cheese or yoghurt after Passover. My friend's Catholic church gives me all their leftovers after Passover dinner. I love it.

Believe51
03-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I'll do it Elaine, looks like Flori is having difficulties today.>>Believe51

ElaineM
03-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks Believe 51 !!
Flori's experience reminded me about when my bathtub (ofuro) went on fire when I lived in Northern Japan. Maybe Kathy S. can relate to this.
Flames were coming out from beneath my ofuro one night when I started to get into the tub. The gas man came, but since that was in the beginning of my life in Japan I could only understand one word-------abunai, which means dangeous. He put out the fire, but I had to wait 3-4 weeks for repairs, so I had to cook water on the stove to bathe in the middle of winter until the repairs were finished. I sort of felt like a pioneer woman cooking water for bathing. There was no central heating in my apartment. I only had a small oil stove for warmth. Not lots of fun !!!!

ElaineM
03-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Just dropping by after a busy day to throw a log onto the fire and sit for awhile with a cup of mint tea. I left a thermos of it for anyone who drops by later.

StephN
03-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Whew! Am I pooped! Spent all afternoon with hubby doing major gardening. Digging up grass to enlarge a garden area to plant a pear tree, weeding, planting primroses, spreading moss killer (we need this in our climate!), etc.
Just need to "set a while."

Got an old grape vine to toss into the fire. Not needing food as just had a big dinner. Just some herb tea and maybe some good "trail mix."

Not up to working on a quilt tonight!

hutchibk
03-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Flames from your bathtub, Elaine? LOL that visual is cracking me up! Glad it all worked out ok. The only flames around here are from our toasty little campfire...

hutchibk
03-29-2009, 11:01 PM
And OMG Flori - I am just on the floor, laughing so hard I'm crying. And I think I know what word you were cussing...

ElaineM
03-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Yes hutchibk (http://her2support.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=257)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_193461", true); </SCRIPT>. Now I laugh about my Japanese bathtub experience, but I wasn't exactly laughing back the.Can you envision a short gas stove with a tub mounted on top? That is what a Japanese bath tub looks like. The earliest version of that was a fire with a tub mounted on top. So, if we were inclined to build a sturdy frame with a ladder over our campfire we could all bathe and get warm at the same time. I guess one could call it the original "hot tub". I am not suggesting it though.
Smile everyone !!
My boss bought me a portable stove like thing that hands over the kitchen sink to heat water for Christmas that year. My pioneer days were finally over. The cold water goes up from the faucet into the stove and then hot comes out the other side for "instant" cooked water for washing dishes and other things.

Believe51
03-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Girls, I brought some bubble bath for you sillies. I am still chuckling today about this conversation. There is some Tumeric Tea waiting for you after you are through with you baths. I also made some Almondine Chicken Skewers to munch on and nice Roasted Organic Vegetables.

Don't worry though, I told Flori and the rest to take a load off and relax. I think I'll do the cooking for a while.>>Believe51

Bill
03-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Just stopping by to throw a stick or two into the fire tonight. (Marie, that would be awesome to get some lessons from The Mighty Oak) I hope everyone is doing well. It's nice to sit here awhile, under the stars, listening to the crickets chirping and frogs croaking, and feeling the warmth from the fire seep into my sore bones. I'm glad to be in the company of good friends like y'all right now. Right now, everything is going super-great in my life, but today happens to be the birthday of one of my all-time best friends, Scott (Nicola's brother) whom we lost in a drowning accident years ago. I'm sorry to bring a downer mood to the fire, but Scott and I shared many fires, and I guess I just wanted to celebrate his birthday around another one. Thanks for listening.

ElaineM
03-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi Belive,
Thanks so much.
We are always glad to have you here Bill. Feel free to share anytime.

Believe51
04-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Sorry I woke you all up but I was so excited and needed to share the news.......My Mother-in-Law is out of her coma. She is still on the vent but her eye's are open!! Let's celebrate!!>>Believe51

tricia keegan
04-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Marie thats fantastic! I've just opened a chilled bottle of very dry white wine...ready to celebrate if anyone cares for a glass??

Bill, Anniverserys always bring some sadness no matter how many years have passed. The important thing to recall are the happy memories and absent friends.
Cheers!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_125.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000%283%29)

ElaineM
04-01-2009, 09:03 PM
I am here with thankfulness about your mother in law.
I am praying for eveyone who wants one.
Now sit down and relax. You look awfully tired Believe !!
Let us provide some of the food. You have been cooking up a storm.

sassy
04-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Just wanted to stop by for a little solitude and peacefulness. It seems so many people are having difficulty with their lives/health/employment. Want to gather my thoughts and say a prayer---a good long one---for everyone who needs strenght, comfort and courage.

vickie h
04-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Thank you, Sassy. Sitting here with you and praying for all those disrupted lives, especially those in Italy tonight.....

tricia keegan
04-08-2009, 04:57 PM
hear hear Sassy, God help those affected by this tragedy.

Colleens_Husband
04-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Bill, let us not feel sad about the loss of Scott our any of our fallen friends. Instead let us feel glad that our friends still live on with us in our hearts, our souls and our memories. The fact that Scott was an extraordinary soul is the reason he stays with you and that is what we should celebrate.

So let us all pour a drink and toast our absent friends who have touched our lives and changed us for the better. Be sad out of respect but do not forget to celebrate those amazing people as well.

ElaineM
04-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I agree. Our friends and family members who have passed away are gone in physical form, but will be with us forever in spirit.

vickie h
04-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Well said, Elaine and Lee,
Let's honor all those that have gone on before us. Those brave souls who have blazed a path for us to follow someday. We'll all be together again...and happy to hold each other in our hearts and souls.
Love, Vickie

Bill
04-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks, everyone! It just hits you once in awhile, you know. Let me toss a log on the fire for Marie and Ed. I've misplaced her number and would like to call her. (I know, I know, but I'm horrible with phone numbers and birthdays) Maybe a sweet little bird could lend a hand. Happy Easter to all!

harrie
04-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Hey WB....will I fit the "sweet little bird" since I am HarrieCanarie??!!

Everyone, I just put together some bread pudding with diced apples on top. It is in the oven right now as I write this! (really!!)
So everyone, please come by and have some!!

Jackie07
04-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks, Maryanne. It tasted mighty good to me. How have you been? I've got some Chinese dumplings in the freezer. Maybe I'll cook some over the fire with a big pot of water...

harrie
04-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi Jackie! I'm doing great! And you???
Glad you liked my bread pudding. Are the Chinese dumplings called sui mai or won ton?
I love won ton. Every NY eve for our party, my daughter and I made won ton and with all the extra won ton wrappers, we fry them up and then sprinkle with either salt or powder sugar. This is our own homemade version of won ton chips!
Maryanne

Jackie07
04-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Very smart, I'll bet you guys really enjoy it. No, it is called 'Sui Giao' (water dumpling) Our dumpling is like Wonton with thicker skin and more ingredience inside and is shaped like a gold 'Yuen Pao' (gold bullion?) You put them in boiling water, wait till the water boils again, add a cup of cold water, repeat the process three times (dumplings have been floating three times) then they are done. In the old, old days, poor farmers in the north only get to enjoy the dumpling during Chinese New Year Festival or special family gatherings (usually when someone's leaving home for a long journey.) Now anybody can eat it any time.

Young people (College students or members of churches or civic groups) often have the so-called 'dumpling party' where one or two persons roll the dough into flat round shape (small totilla sort of thing) and others would fold the ingredience into each one and tighten the folds. When there are enough (20-30, depending on the size of the pot) to put into the pot, they would be put into the pot when the water is boiling.

People learn division of labor and many young people find their 'mate' through the dumpling party. [You can fry them also - the steamed ones are
really, really good. (No, I am talking about frying dumplings, not those young people. :)]

harrie
04-13-2009, 12:03 AM
jackie, what kind of ingredients do you put inside your sui giao?

Jackie07
04-13-2009, 01:33 AM
Traditionally it comprises with fine chopped pork and Chinese cabbage (Bah choy)with some green onion (salt & pepper to taste - be sure to squeeze out the liquid off the cabbage as much as possible). Another popular version is the 'giou tsai' dumpling made of Chinese chive (giou tsai).

My host family who used to live in Denton had experimented one time using cheese and artificial crab meat. Turned out pretty good, too. (I think it was deep fried like an egg roll, although in Chinese restaurant you will find something called 'crab rangoon' that is shaped like a small four-legged crab with cheese inside...

O oh, I've got to go get a buffet to go tomorrow from House of Lee...

fauxgypsy
04-13-2009, 12:28 PM
My friend's daughter that I posted about early is recovering and now out of the hospital. I just wanted to let everyone that read my earlier post know. It seems that she is recovering from the accident much faster than they had thought she would. I know it will take them all much longer to begin to recover from Sonya's loss. thank you for the prayers.

Leslie

harrie
04-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Glad to hear the good news Leslie....

Jackie...bout the won tons or dumplings....
My friend makes won tons and puts cream cheese and crab (with seasonings) in the skins and deep fries it. It is SO good!!

You know how people have chocolate fondue parties? Is that what you are kind of talking about with the college dumpling parties?? ...putting whatever you want into the skins and cook it in the pot?? How fun that would be.

ElaineM
04-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for sharing the great news Leslie. I hope things continue to get better.
Thought I would come by with my morning coffee and sit awhile. Hot drinks taste so much better in the fresh air.

StephN
04-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Wonderful news about the daughter. Young people have such an amazing ability to heal and bounce back physically. (Don't these old bones wish ...)

We really have some things to smile about today, including Leslie feeling well enough to make it to the camp fire. Just need some good news from our friend Believe.

I brought some organic yoghurt covered raisins to munch on. Take a handful and pass them on.

juanita
04-14-2009, 02:17 PM
throw some extra logs on please! it's wet and cold here. beginning to think i need to start building the ark.

freyja
04-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey all. I really haven't been posting much, but I'm here. Been doing the daily radiation routine, but tomorrow is my LAST DAY of treatment! I've definitely burned away some fears...and a whole lot more. Ugg, can't wait for my skin to heal. Blessings to all of you, and your dear friends we've been praying for, too.
Love, Celeste

ElaineM
04-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi Celeste,
Glad you dropped by. Have you considered aloe for the radiation induced skin problems if your radiologist hasn't recommended something? I heard putting aloe jell in the refrigerator and then applying it to the burn helps alot.

ElaineM
04-17-2009, 09:06 PM
I just came to sit and relax awhile. Since it is getting a little warmer how about moving our campsite closer to the water? That way, we can enjoy the campfire and the coolness of the water at the same time when it gets a little warmer.

StephN
04-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi Elaine -
Maybe warmer where you are, but the campfire is still in the "late spring zone." I'll be away for a few days, heading for Denver with Joe, Christine and a few other ladies.

They are having a dang-blasted, full-fledged snow storm there tonight! Making my packing a little difficult to cover the weather bases. The warmth of the fire will be missed ...

ElaineM
04-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Have a terrific trip Steph. It sounds very interesting.
Please share your insights with us after you get back.
We will keep the fire going until you get back.
I can understand if you folks in colder climates want to wait to move the campfire closer to the water. I am still using a blanket at night over here too. It gets cooler in the early morning.

ElaineM
04-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Just dropping by to sit awhile and leave a bag of fresh spinach from my garden for whoever wants it.

WomanofSteel
04-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Man I am in the mood for some junk food. I have some tiny kosher hot dogs to roast over this fire and I am willing to share. Sure could use a beer here! Maybe even some pickled eggs!

Colleens_Husband
04-24-2009, 12:19 PM
I second the junk food. I wonder what happens when you warm spray cheese on the fire? Everyone who isn't real brave or real stupid (sometimes there is a thin line between the two) better back away.

tricia keegan
04-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Why don't we splash out, live dangerously and have some fries, sausages and ketchup mmmmm????

Followed by some apple tart which I've freshly baked, now if some one brings the cream:)

Bill
04-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Y'all are making me hungry again. Aaaaaaannnndddd, if you recall, the campfire is very close to a beautiful mountain stream. That's why I keep slipping away every so often to check my lines. And, I've got a great recipe for pickled eggs, WOS, if you want it. Hope everyone is having a peaceful evening.......

WomanofSteel
04-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Bill that would be great. I love trying new recipes! I haven't had a good pickled egg in a lomg time.

Believe51
04-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Hahaha....then you guys will not mind if I stay waaaaay over here right?>>Believe51

ElaineM
04-26-2009, 08:46 PM
That's okay Marie. I will make us a nice omlet over the fire.I like mine with fresh veggies and rice. I will add a slice of cheese once in awhile. If you would like some potatoes please bring some.
What kind of fish do you get in that lake Bill?

Believe51
04-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Whewww.....Good save Elaine, you always come to my rescue and I really do not know what I would do without you.

I have brought some Lyonnaise potatoes for us since we are doing French tonight. I also made some of my famous crepes and fresh berries for us to nibble on.

On my back I have one of Ed's Stratocaster guitars, I am hoping it distracts 'Wild Bill'. Where is Harrie? I miss her musical talents and she is just the one to keep Bill under control.>>Believe51

harrie
04-26-2009, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't mind a nice fat juicy hamburger, fries and a choc shake!

WB!!! I hear your bell ringing!! Let's all run over and see what he's bringing in!!

Marie, is Ed a musician? Both my husband and daughter have stratocasters. My daughters was made in Mexico, my husbands in Japan.

Believe51
04-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Harrie, my husband is very musically inclined and has always made the music come alive for me. He has an antique folk guitar from his grandfather that he holds dear. When we first started dating he had just moved from California and was living with his Mom. On a night I went over to visit he took me into the music room which housed instruments that cost more than my car. We sat there while he sang a song about me, had my name in it and everything and I felt so special. As time went on I missed my song and asked him to sing it to me as he played his guitar again........he told me that he gets into playing and the music just flows to his head, his fingers just move. This was just the feelings he had that moment. All that time I thought he had spend time writing something special for me.....well he did...that moment, wish he wrote it down. I was comically crushed (smiling fondly).

Now let me get to making you your hamburger, that story must have made you hungry. Want to try a coffee shake? In Rhode Island we have a company that makes coffee extract and we put it in milk like others use chocolate. Even if you are not a coffee drinker it is good. I also have a company started in RI that is called Del's Lemonade, they make an awesome slushie-type frozen drink in lemon, watermelon, cherry and blueberry. Mmmmm, thank goodness summer is on the way!>>Believe51

harrie
04-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Marie, Ed sounds very talented! Is this a hobby of his or is it his profession? My family is very much in to music also. Our living room is transformed into a music room with guitars, amps, drums, keyboard, etc. My daughter was just in India and while at the ashram, she and her friend wrote music and later had it recorded in Mumbai.

Those drinks sounds awesome!! I am ready for my burger now and that coffee shake sounds great!!

That slush sounds REALLY GOOD TOO!! I think I would like a green apple if avail!!!

Marie, is that you in the pix? Very cute pix!!

Believe51
04-27-2009, 12:16 AM
It was a profession but mostly a hobby now, actually he does not play as much as I would like to see him play. I am sure after this chemo kicks the cancers tail he will resume.

Your daughter sounds like someday she will be famous. Music is such a powerful way to express oneself and a talent that keeps on giving....forever. Someday we will have to leave the campsite long enough to spend some time in your living room. Do you think she could write a song with my name in it? (LOL)

And yes to the picture, that is little 'ole me at one of Ed's and my walking spots, woods and the ocean in the same coastline. If I can ever learn how to put pictures in my posts I would like to share some pictures. I'm getting there though.

Close your eyes, taste this......smell it? I made it special for you.>>Believe51

harrie
04-27-2009, 12:34 AM
HHHmmmmm Marie......YUMMY!!!!

The song she wrote at the Ashram is called Karmas Best Idea. Wish you could hear it.

Marie, you look like you are about 30 yrs old if that!!

If you don't mind me asking, do you know if Ed is a carrier of BRCA?

Going to bed now....goodnight Marie and sweet dreams!
HarrieCanarie

StephN
04-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Hey Harrie -
Can your daughter put her music on You Tube? Al from Canada's son had his group's songs up there. It was fun to see it, although I am not a You Tube junkie, I will go to see something interesting I am directed to.
Or perhaps her own web site?

Your living room sounds like my nephew Shane's. He has at least 10 different guitars, plus keyboards, my brother's drums and other various items of music. He has a very nice wall mounted rack for his guitars. His stepson is only 6 and is taking to the guitar like a duck to water. Such a cutie with that adultsized guitar!

Yes, let's have some music for the flames to dance to. Might be kind of hypnotic ...

ElaineM
04-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Yum. Those crepes and berries are delicious. I could go for a coffee shake or smoothie. Sounds terrific. I think I will try to make one.
I will bring one of my smoothies next time. I make all kinds of fruit smoothies and mixed veggie juices.
Good idea Steph. Harrie please ask your family to put some of their music on Youtube.

harrie
04-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Steph, I will ask her if she is on Youtube. I doubt it though. She is on Facebook and Myspace, but I think you need to be her friend to view it.
Maryanne

Bill
04-28-2009, 08:32 PM
At night, we fish for cat-fish (steak of the sea) in the deeper pools and during the day we fly-fish for trout in our little stream by the campfire. Just close your eyes and lay back and listen to the crackling fire and the water tinkling over the rocks nearby. This is your time, and nothing and no one can take it. It's yours. Let the aroma of sweet-grass and pine and good foods fill your nostrils, as the hearty laughter of true friends merges with the sounds of the sweet Earth. Peek at the star-filled sky as the fire pops and crackles and sends our fears and concerns skyward to merge with the glory of the heavens. It's ok to doze and dream by the warm fire. Your friends will watch after you.

Bill
04-28-2009, 08:40 PM
"Aunt Betty's Rosy Pickled Eggs" 2 cups water, 1 cup beet juice,1 cup vinegar, 1 clove garlic,1 bay leaf, 2 Tsp pickling spices, 12 hardboiled eggs, 1 onion (rings). Just mix it all up and refrigerate for several days. I like to throw a whole can of small beets in it and pickle them and eat 'em too. Go to the store and buy a very large jar of dill pickles and eat them all up as fast as you can with a little cheddar cheese while you watch the game, and then after washing the jar and lid, you have your pickled egg jar. Try it and let me know!

ElaineM
04-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Yes. It is lovely to get away from the city and enjoy nature where we can let our concerns go up in smoke while we relax with friends and enjoy nature as we sleep, eat and enjoy the natural environment around us.

Bill
04-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Marie, thanks for reminding me that Harriecanarie is the one that keeps me in line. I sorta feel like acting up, but I better not right now because Harrie is around. (I wish I had Ed's skills with the guitar. I'm more of a lyricist and just twankle around with my guitars.)

harrie
04-28-2009, 11:38 PM
NNNNNOTTTT BBWB!!! I don't keep you in line....liar pants on fire!!!
In fact I like it when you ACT up your normal Act-Up-Self!! You are more fun that way!

Any by the way, I love your discriptions of feeling and hearing Mother Earth. A true way to feel the peaceful energy of the earth to nuture our Spirits. We can all use that. Esp me....esp today....

HarrieCanarie
BGHC

Jackie07
04-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Oh-oh, got here too late. Only some charred fabrics remain. Harrie [Potter?], you ought to be careful with the power you have... We don't want BBB get 'burned' (But he's a smart guy, I am sure he escaped safely...:)

WomanofSteel
04-29-2009, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the recipe Bill. I am definitely gonna give it a try. I need some relaxing vibes today. It is proving to be a very stressful week. I can feel the tension and headache mounting. I think I will bring a hammock and just chill by the fire the rest of the week. Wake me when it's over.

Believe51
04-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Hey WomanofSteel, I have a surprise for you My 'Lil Chickadee........I brought a hammock for you to chillout on and get into REM sleep. I even tested it out for myself to make sure it was the quality you deserve. I too have had a hard week and today no one or nothing with bother us, okay?

I'll make lunch and join you with a good Stephen King book and a Goofy stuffed animal and my own hammock I just dyed bright orange. Thank goodness for this fire.>>Believe51

PS: Hey, maybe if we do not snore our friends will be so happy that we are taking the day off and make us supper. Let's try to be quiet..Hehe.

WomanofSteel
04-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Sounds like a plan. Orange is my fav color Marie. I could use a day off from cooking, so I'll be careful not to snore. LOL

Believe51
04-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Well then, please take my orange hammock instead. Off to a quick lunch then sleepies for us! Nice breeze, 'eh?>>Believe51

WomanofSteel
04-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Why thank you Marie, you are too kind. Oh the breeze feels lovely. I think i feel myself relaxing already. Ahhhhhhhhh!

Believe51
04-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Me too, but I think I should wait to sleep while I am not near flames! I think the birds that are chirping are not helping to keep me out of a trance. Haha>>Believe51

Believe51
05-01-2009, 12:05 AM
I have cleaned up the campsite and replenished our stock. Fire has been burning long and hard. I threw my almond shells in the flames and they burned such a pretty color. I also threw all of my stress and fears to burn away.

I lay here unable to sleep so I meditate looking up at the clear night sky. I think how spectacular my relationships are, how beautiful nature is and yearn for gathering my own time to be able to experience more. I try not to think of why this is all happening to Ed and I, the reason does not matter. This is happening and we have accepted it without its reason for this is our life now. However, it is perfect Zen times like this that I get a little sad and right before I start to get overwhelmed and cry, I thank God for this moment and beg him for more.

I throw this message into the fire. Burn baby, burn. I throw the same message from you into it too. I pray for us all and whisper goodnight in all of your ears. As my son used to say to me as I tucked him in each night, "See you in the morning when the sun comes up." This phrase has since then become a special thought I whisper nightly and tonight it is to you all.>>Believe51

ElaineM
05-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks for cleaning up Marie. It is so beautiful and peaceful here, so we want to keep it that way.
We should take turns cleaning up and making sure the fire is going for everyone who needs it.
Here is a big thermos of pina colada smoothie for everyone.

WomanofSteel
05-06-2009, 05:47 AM
I think it is time to have some virgin pina coladas and some shrimp kebobs roasted over our lovely fire. I think the Olive Garden near me makes the best coladas. I will have to find out their secret. Then, I will lie down in that lovely orange hammock that Marie offered me and listen to my 24 cd Stephen King book.

Believe51
05-06-2009, 09:48 PM
My secret is in the coconut milk. Oh....and those Stephen King cd's, ah....would you share them with me. I mean, I do not want to bring anything up but after all, I kept the hammock warm for return from chemo #1. Hey, leverage is leverage....(laughing like a fool right now)>>Believe51

StephN
05-06-2009, 11:29 PM
OK - who is tossing the pistacio nut shells around??

Marie had this place all tidied up. This is not a baseball dugout!

Shells go in the fire, please.

I know the nuts are good with the Pina Coladas.

Believe51
05-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks Steph, I know I am a neat freak and I did not want to say anything. I think Brenda put them there so she could hear anything sneaking up on us. She tends to protect us like that. Bill has been awefully quiet, leads me to believe he is helping you to clean.

I am listening to the quiet. Normal people are sleeping right now. I am taking the third shift here tonight just to enjoy that peace and quiet.

I am amazed at how much comfort we find here. I will be making breakfast in the morning and you are not going to believe the fresh fruit I found. Rather sweet for this time of year.>>Believe51

WomanofSteel
05-07-2009, 06:37 AM
MMMMMMMMMM fresh fruit sounds yummy. Of course I will share my cds with you Marie. I am rereading (listening) to the Talisman. After that I have Black House and a Patricia Cornwell book. I am also watching season 1 of the Pretender. My I have a lot going on here!

freyja
05-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Hey, just found an amazing swimming hole in the river nearby, anyone up for a dip...skinny or otherwise?

Believe51
05-07-2009, 11:47 AM
With such a beautiful place we reside I would not doubt that it had hot and cold water springs. Would that not be the best? When I lived in the Pocono Mountains we lived right near a crystal clear private lake with hot and cold water springs. I remember walking there and picking fresh berries for our adventure. On the way home I would pick up my mail and gather herbs for my dinner that grew on my property. If we think about it we could plant those same berries and herbs for our campsite. Oh the possibilities.......>>Believe51

ElaineM
05-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Your home in the Poconos sounds wonderful. I wonder if there are any wild berries around here?
Maybe I can bring some of my herbs from my garden for you guys after they grow a little more.

Believe51
05-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Oh Elaine, I could see every star in the sky at night. Our property was huge and the walk to the mailbox was a daily workout. My daily ritual was the mail, gathering berries, wild fruit and herbs on the way home. I had my own catering business so I got spoiled at home. Closest people were a mile away, ah yeah! Every day it was a new and healthy meal and the fun of it all makes me homesick. The ocean is my home and I had to come back but I do miss the mountains, I love the cold. (Shhh, people will take my temperature if this gets out!)If I close my eyes I can smell the trees, the moisture in the air, the snap that it held. Wait, I am in the woods, therefore explaining my senses!! (lol) Better get to the hammock, looks like I need some slumber. Tomorrow is treatment and afterwards when Ed is relaxing I will come to our site and get the soil ready. Maybe Bill has some spare fish we can plant in the ground to help them on their way. Ohhhhh Bill....>>Believe51

Bill
05-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Marie, sorry I've been quiet lately. I accidentally gave myself food poisoning on Easter Sunday and then wound up with a series of illnesses since then. I've been thinking of y'all alot, but this past week I've been struggling with pneumonia, but I'm getting better day by day. My wrestling coach (an amazing Samoan and an awesome fisherman) would place a fish-head in the ground wherever he planted something. He always had the best garden. I am gearing up to fish the Sound soon. I will bring plenty of fish to our campfire!

Believe51
05-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Hey thanks Pal, we would appreciate a nice garden with fresh organic foods. Sorry you have been under the weather lately. Sounds like you got your hands full so no rush with the fish. Thinking about you, Bill and hoping for a speedy recovery. I have given up my hammock for you tonight, please take a load off and relax. Lots of Love.>>Believe51

ElaineM
05-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Sorry to hear you were "under the weather" Bill. I hope you are feeling much better and ready to challenge the world again.
I think I remember one of my grandfathers planting fish heads in his garden. He was a part time fisherman, a part time farmer and a part time something else, so I guess he found a useful way to multi task way back then. The fisheads enrich the soil.
How about making a smaller second garden next to our camp. Then we would have food right next to the campfire and not far from your lake (water source).
Maybe you would even give us a lesson or two in practical gardening to get us started if you get to eat some of the results. Smile. There might have to be rules about quiet times or areas for sleeping, praying, meditating and other quiet activities.

Jackie07
05-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Life rekindled

by Fred Afflerbach (http://www.tdtnews.com/staff/?view=1#Fred Afflerbach) | Business Writer
Published: May 18, 2009
http://www.tdtnews.com/img-small/images/photos/4779.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:wopen('http://www.tdtnews.com/zoom.php?id=4779',424,700);)
Telegram staff writer Fred Afflerbach spent a recent week on vacation mesmerized by a campfire. Fred Afflerbach/Telegram

At a routine checkup following a weekend camping trip, our family doctor must have wondered how, at about age 7, I had singed my eyelashes. The campfire, I explained, got too close.

Four decades later, transfixed by orange coals and yellow, flaming tongues, I cross my legs on a stump, and put pencil to paper.

In a world where immediacy threatens our tranquility, a campfire provides an opportunity to pause and reflect. It soothes the nerves better than any sedative packaged in a pill, fermented and bottled, or rolled in paper for inhalation.

A campfire is relaxing because it stirs all five senses.

Like a breakfast cereal, dry oak branches snap, crackle and sometimes pop. And with a steady south breeze fanning the flames, a campfire sounds like a flag fluttering in the wind, or sheets flapping on a clothesline.

A campfire is a visual treat. Comparable to watching clouds on a breezy day, logs morph into arches, bridges, fire-breathing dragons or serpents. At my boyhood campfires, my brothers and I gazed into pockets where coals throbbed like they were breathing. We called them boiler rooms.

Campfires warm more than just the heart. On cold nights, I’ve stood before a campfire and rotated my body like a rotisserie chicken. Campfires heat only one side at a time.

Although you can’t directly taste a campfire, grilling pork chops, sausage or hamburgers over campfire coals brings out flavor no stove can equal. My father, Charley, and Uncle Raymond masterfully shoveled campfire coals under an adjacent grill suspended by cinder blocks. The trick - extract the embers without having to rebuild the campfire. At night, they nestled orange-red coals around a cast iron pot simmering with beef stew.

You can smell campfire smoke wafting across a pasture, fence, road. Take a slow breath - aromatherapy. Here in Central Texas, mesquite emits both a sweet, yet pungent odor and a live oak campfire smells like a scene from a Western novel.

I’ve learned to appreciate a modest campfire. Here’s a maxim from a fellow campfire lover: The white man builds a big campfire and stands back. The red man makes a small campfire and gets close.

Sitting by a campfire, I’ve enjoyed friendly discussion about politics, religion and family history, but never heard harsh words. Like Knights of the Round Table, all voices are equal around a campfire.

Ninety-nine years ago, a Vermont couple founded the first nonsectarian girls organization in the United States. They called it Campfire Girls because “campfires were the origin of communities.”

That communal spirit is evident today in the Southwest. For back porch fire gazing, we’ve adopted large, outdoor clay pots with a wide mouth and open top, called chimeneas.

President Franklin Roosevelt took the campfire spirit indoors. Aiming to inspire Americans during the Great Depression, his radio broadcasts were dubbed fireside chats.

With a long drought here in Central Texas, county officials have implemented burn bans that have doused my campfire plans for almost a year. Finally, spring showers turned the land green.

So, here in Mills County, I drop another log on a low campfire and recall why I purchased this small ranch, top-dressed with prickly pear cactus and a limestone outcropping. I’m not a hunter, rancher, nor farmer. For me, it’s all about the campfire.

Campfire tranquility glows inside us all. We just need an occasional spark to rekindle the flames. Singed eyelashes are optional.

Editor’s note: Before lighting a campfire, check with your county officials about a burn ban.

ElaineM
05-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Very nice !!

Believe51
05-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I liked it too, thanks. Where's Flori?? I want some marshmallows now.>>Believe51

Bill
05-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks, Jackie! That was really nice.

StephN
05-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Maybe you will move the campfire closer to the water as Elaine suggested by then. I am going to a warmer climate in north/central Italy and am optimistically packing light!

However I am sure I will think of the campfire while inside those old cold stone museums and churches! Been trying to study Italian and refresh my art history knowledge ...

Will try to bring back some sort of goody to share with you all. Meantime - Watch what BILL eats!

ElaineM
05-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Have a fantastic trip Steph !! We will miss you.
I am sure you will have many adventures to share with everyone after you return. We will look forward to the goody you will bring back.
Yes. It would be nice to move the campfire close to the water. That way we can take a refreshing dip in the water whenever we want and still be able to come back and warm up or dry off by the fire.

ElaineM
06-06-2009, 08:58 PM
I dropped by to relax in my brand new hamock with a nice glass of iced green tea. Humm. It seems nobody has been tending the campfire. I cleaned it up a bit before I started relaxing, but I think it needs a big spring cleaning before we begin having summer picnics around here.

freyja
06-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey Bill...

da da da DA da DAAA...CHARD!!!!

StephN
06-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Hi everyone -
I am back on Terra Firma after a three-legged plane trip yesterday.

Hey Freyja - do you mean "chard" as in "chardonnay" or "chard" as in the green leafy vegie?? Guess I have wine more on my mind than veggies. They do not eat that many veggies in Italy. But, no problem finding wine!

WomanofSteel
06-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Steph, welcome back, you will have to fill us in on all of your adventures and post pics!

juanita
06-11-2009, 12:39 PM
this is the fire dilly wanted to have while she was here.

Believe51
06-12-2009, 03:05 PM
This one is for you Dilly!! Make sure you visit Grandma alot, I know she will miss seeing you so much now that you have moved out. Give her big hugs when you see her and I know she will feel better. Here Sweet Cheeks, I will share my giant orange comforter with you so you can enjoy the fire with Grandma, start with those hugs now.>>Love Auntie Marie

Believe51
06-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Lots of fears and negative energy to toss into the fire tonight. Be gone you awful feelings, burn baby burn.

I will be tending the fire as I research over the evening so worry about nothing. I took snackies too>>Believe51

harrie
06-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Marie, I will help you but all that rubbish. Will toss in more logs over it AND will light some fireworks around to get rid of any residual negativity! Hows that??!!

Believe51
06-15-2009, 09:01 AM
That is awesome, in fact, I would like to make you lunch. Just you and me staring in the face of fear and eating like it no longer exists. Would you mind making a toast to Joy with me?? I have lattes here which is her favorite drink but I took some blueberry and grape juice just the same. Not everyone is up to the 'hard stuff' (lol)>>Believe51

harrie
06-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Oh yes Marie....for Joy too....great idea!

Believe51
06-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Harrie, I am glad we got to burn up those fears and negative energy. They would have been a heavy load to carry around with us at the doctors today. Spring has us all busy with the crazy weather but I am headed to clean some bush and start gathering wood so it will be cured somewhat for winter. Gotta start now because I know Bill is busy with his chard and cannot help. Hope he can come up with some creative recipes and keeps our bellies full.>>Believe51

harrie
06-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Marie, BTW, I think I would like a Mohito tonight. How about you?
HarrieCanarie

Believe51
06-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Just me guys, I am here with Shobha fears to burn while she awaits her phone call from the doctor. Burn away these fears so she can enjoy another day of living with the freedom she deserves. Woe, that is some heavy fear she had, look at those flames......quick, could someone hand me over some marshmallows??>>Believe51

harrie
06-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Marshmallows.....I got white, strawberry and chocolate,...take your pick...

Believe51
06-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Strawberry please, I think it will compliment the Chocolate Tums I just took. Thanks for joining the fire Harrie, I was getting lonely during my low sugar attack (hehe)>>Believe51

PS: Harrie, here is the mint for the Mojitos, believe it or not it is chocolate mint and good for your beverage!

harrie
06-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Believe51, heres a piece of chocolate to stick inside your strawberry marshmellow. Now you can roast it altogether!

Thanks for the mint!

Believe51
06-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Now that is what I am talking about!! Where's Bill?? I am thinking that this recipe he can handle...hahhah!>>Believe51

Bill
06-25-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm here! I'm here! What is it, Marie? I can do it! I know I can!

StephN
06-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi everyone -
I thought I might bring by a few of Michael Jackson's better tunes. Bet there will be one heck of a funeral.

Believe51
06-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Bill, you can only help if you have tuned your 'recipe' skills...hahaha. How are you doing, Rita too. Think you can help Steph get the tunes together?? She really enjoys dancing with NED so let us help her celebrate that! Steph, got your dancing shoes on??>>Believe51

notamrnpsn
06-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Such a sad day. First Farrah the Michael. I clearly remember the posters on my childrens wall of the two of them, farrah in the boys room and Michael in the girls. Of cource the girls wanted Farrahs gorgoues hair. May God hold them in the palm of his hand.,,, Jeanette

Believe51
06-25-2009, 09:09 PM
I know, all my boyfriends had that picture on their walls. My Mommy let me cut my hair into 2 different haircuts growing up. One was Farrah's and the other haircut was a Dorothy Hammill. I know, I know, I regretted the Dorothy Hammill haircut. Hey, out there in the woods, stop laughing at that. I had a moment is all! Jeanette, I hope that was not Bill snickering, if it is I will have him cook (rotfl!) Love ya Wild Bill>>Believe51

ElaineM
06-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Michael and Farrah are dancing together now.

Believe51
06-25-2009, 09:42 PM
I remember all my boyfriends all had Farrah's picture on their walls. My Mommy let me get two special haircuts as a child. One was Farrah's and the other one was Dorothy Hammill. I know, I know, I do regret the Dorothy Hammill haircut....hey who is in the woods laughing at me?? Bill, if that is you laughing I am going to suggest you do the cooking tonight. Ah, cannot be Wild Bill, I think I frighten him too much to be laughing at me (chuckling)....love ya Bill>>Believe51

Jackie07
06-25-2009, 10:32 PM
All the major networks were showing programs paying tribute to Farrah except CNN is completely devoted to Michael. The clips of his dancing reminded me of the late Kungfu star David Caradine who just died in a strange way not long ago. A strange season for so many passings of the famous in June.

harrie
06-28-2009, 04:41 PM
recipe for the campfire:
2 choc chip cookies, fill between cookies with minature marshmallows, choc chips, graham cracker crumbs
wrap in foil and throw on grill.

freyja
07-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Harrie, you have an open invitation to my fire pit any day! You are one marshmallow roasting pro!!!! Could we combine that recipe with one I just learned...pull back the peel of a banana, put chocolate chips and marshmellows in the banana, close it up, wrap it in foil and roast in the fire...then unwrap and slide the concoction between graham crackers...or in this case, chocolate chip cookies! I think I just found heaven on earth.
ALOOOOOHA!

harrie
07-05-2009, 01:01 AM
OOOOhhhhh Freyja, that sounds GOOOOOOD! CAn't wait to try it!! I LOVE bananas too!!

ElaineM
07-05-2009, 12:11 PM
It all sounds good. How about combining recipes and coming up with a brand new invention to outdo smores and that stuff made from rice crispies and marshmallows? We could be famous !!!!!!!

Bill
07-05-2009, 01:50 PM
(Warning if any one might be queasy, don't read this) Ok, I gotta set the record straight on a few things. One, my food poisoning a few months ago wasn't from my cooking. I had hard-boiled a bunch of eggs and made some pickled eggs and a dozen or so just to eat now and then. Easter Sunday I was baking a ham and smoking/slow-roasting a turkey breast on the grill. I got hungry, so I grabbed a hard-boiled egg from the fridge, peeled it and took a big bite, chewed, and swallowed it. Hmmm, I says to myself, that egg tasted.....moldy.....I looked at it and the yolk had a green edge to it. Typically, I'm not a hasty person, so I paused to think it through.....when we were kids, we kept Easter eggs for a "long" time in our rooms in our baskets and peeled them and ate them whenever we felt like it.....this egg has been refridgerated, so that's better, right?.....alot of good eggs have a greenish shade to the yolk.....what if this egg is ok, but just tastes funny? I can't just throw it away.....I've already eaten half of it, if it's bad, it's too late, and the damage is done. I popped the second half of the egg in my mouth and ate it. Twelve hours later I realized that it really was a bad egg and I had food poisoning and I cursed that egg. I really am a good cook, Marie, it's just that nobody told me that they don't make eggs the way they used to and that they don't last as long. By God, I'll know next time.

StephN
07-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Dear Bill -

Now we know the "rest of the story." Guess that can qualify for a "campfire" story.

There should be date stamps on your egg cartons just like the milk and everything else. I look at those things and will pay more if I think the cage free, non-hormone diet eggs are fresher, which they normally are. Perhaps that "bad egg" had a tiny crack in the shell even before you boiled it.

I hope you were happy with your 4th of July steaks!

Was thinking of bringing some deviled eggs and carrot salad to the campfire, but you may not be up to eggs yet. http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon12.gif

ElaineM
07-05-2009, 09:36 PM
I have some fruit to go with everything else.
Excuse me while I tie my hamock to a tree for a nap. This has been a lazy weekend.

freyja
07-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Just stopping by to stoke the fire. Put a nice big log on to last through the night. Think I'll string my hammock up right here for the night...I am soooo tired.

juanita
07-17-2009, 09:33 PM
i think it's so cold here right now i'd be laying in the fire. we might set a record low high temperature tomorrow. feels more like october than july!

Believe51
07-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Freyja girl....come over here with your hammock, Mighty Oak is singing again. It is very sedating. Not to mention we have to guard Juanita, can't have her in the fire. (lol)>>Believe51

juanita
07-18-2009, 08:12 AM
hey what happened to this global warming they keep talking about?

Believe51
07-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Juanita, I think we will have to head west for that heat you speak of. I was just going to relax with some hot stones on my back but I am afraid of removing my sweatshirt....yes, I said sweatshirt. I am not complaining though, my head, neck and back get really bad in the heat and humidity and migraines come 3-4x per week for certain. So far this season has been half way decent for the body.>>Believe51

Mary Jo
07-18-2009, 02:12 PM
No kidding Juanita....Global warming, ya right? The temp. (for the high) today and yesterday is a whoppin' 64 degrees. Oh well...could be worse....tornadoes...hurricanes....earthquakes! So, will not grumble over these temps (or I'll TRY not too.http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon9.gif) PLUS like Marie said...some people do better with cooler temps... so.... for those folks we'll be happy :o)

ElaineM
07-18-2009, 04:01 PM
I have been here behind a few trees in my hammock. I just woke up and since I am getting my lunch out of the cooler I will share it with you guys. Anyone for a Tofuky sandwhich, vegetable drink, and some yoghurt with blueberries and knox unflavored gellatin I made with natural fruit juice?
Maybe Mighty Oak will be in the mood to sing us all to sleep for a nice afternoon nap among the beautiful trees.

Bill
07-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Elaine, that sounds delicious, except for the Tofuky part, unless there's some bacon and barbecue sauce involved, no offense. I just threw a few sticks onto our fire. I lit off some fireworks a few hours ago, and not on the 4th of July, like I wanted to, because Joe told me that if I wasn't careful, I'd blow my fingers off. That'll get a man to thinkin'. Anyhow, everything went real smooth. We had a great time!

ElaineM
07-18-2009, 09:19 PM
You can add whatever condiments you want to your sandwich Bill, but I am going to eat my tofuky sandwich plain with vegenaise and cranberries on the side along with the other food I brought.

ElaineM
07-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Good morning everyone. I slept in my hammock over there behind my favorite tree last night. I see somebody threw a few logs on the fire (was that you Bill?),so I put a pot of oatmeal on the fire. I think of the campfire as something to nourish us as well as chase our fears away.
Anyway, there are raisins, cranberries, apricots, and nuts for garnish. I am going to add a little yoghurt and cinnamon to mine too. There is enough oatmeal for whoever shows up in the next 30 minutes. Use these garnishes or add your own. Are you listening Bill? He he.
Smile.

juanita
07-20-2009, 05:53 PM
it's warmer here now so i don't have to lay in the fire anymore. that was starting to get a little hot.

ElaineM
07-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Did you write lay "in" the fire? Oh please don't do that !!
I found a lake quite a walk away for those who need to cool off. I sure wish Bill would hook up some kind of portable shower behind those trees over there or set a backyard swimming pool full of water on weekends for those of us who want to stay close and cool.

Bill
07-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Mmmm, thanks for the oatmeal and wonderful garnishes, Elaine! Don't worry, I'm working on the hot shower for our campfire. It will be located behind the boulders to the northeast of of fire. Thanks for tending to our needs.

ElaineM
07-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Oh. Thank you so much for the shower Bill !!!!!! You are so sweet.
I have very happy memories of taking outdoor showers at my friend's place on the Big Island. It was so refreshing to take showers with a view of big pine trees. Yes. We have pine trees in the higher elevation of all islands.
I will try to make breakfast again next Sunday for you guys.

Jackie07
07-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I've got some figs from my backyard. Anybody cares for some?

ElaineM
07-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Can I have a couple figs please? I haven't them in a long time. Thanks.

ElaineM
07-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Okay Guys!! Breakfast !! There is some hot water on the fire. There are some cups, tea bags and instant coffee over there. I brought fresh bagels, freshly ground nut butter (no added oil, just ground up nuts), vanilla yoghurt with macadamia honey, and freshly made papaya orange juice. Eat up and enjoy !!
I will be enjoying mine over there by my hammock under the trees. Take a break from building our shower and have some breakfast Bill. We are all looking forward to a nice shower later.

ElaineM
07-26-2009, 10:52 AM
I forgot. Here are a few bananas. By the way, if you heat up the bagels on a skewer a little and then spread the nut butter it is soooo good.

StephN
07-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Morning - rather "good noon." Just picked a mess of raspberries before the sun beats on them too long. Help yourself - they are really good with all this hot,dry weather!
That sounds like a great way to toast bagels, Elaine!

Already 85 on the hall thermostat!
Anyone complaining about their cool weather can trade places with me!

We will have some days in the 90's here this coming week. Not good here as most homes/apts/condos do NOT have/need air conditioning 99.9 % of the time.

I think we will be sleeping in the basement guest room (along with my sister's cat that we are sitting this week). Unless there is a nice cool breeze at the camp site ...

ElaineM
07-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Gee thanks for the rasberries Steph. They go so well with the yoghurt. We don't get fresh rasberries in Hawaii too often !!
I hope it cools off over there. I can't help you with the breeze. We are waiting for the tradewinds to return to Hawaii.

juanita
07-27-2009, 11:56 AM
cleaning up the yard from the last good winds we had and have LOTS of small limbs to throw on the fire.

ElaineM
08-07-2009, 11:14 AM
I just put a few small twigs on the campfire to keep it going, but not too hot to sit around. Now I am going over to my hammock under the trees where it is nice and cool to take a nap. I am going to see if Bill finished the outdoor shower when I wake up from my nap.

vickie h
08-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Elaine,I came to the campfire tonight because i know I can always find you here, keeping the flame going. Just wanted to share some fresh peaches with you, throw on a few logs, and tell stories of hope and encouragement and mostly to thank you for keeping our flame alive and burning (even when you're asleep in the hammock!).
Much love and hugs,
Vickie

ElaineM
08-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Did you say, "peaches". Oh thank you !! That is a treat for someone from Hawaii. A big mahalo !!!!! I will get out of my hammock for peaches and a chat. I put a few ears of corn on the fire. Please help yourself when it is done. That is another treat we only get in summer over here.
I love the quote about dancing in the rain. We are expecting a tropical storm or hurricane, so I guess I will be dancing in the rain pretty soon.

vickie h
08-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Speaking of dancing in the rain, when I was growing up in LA it never rained so when it did we all raced outside and played until we were soaked! I love the rain, mainly because it is so rare here and we are in a drought.
Ah, those juicy peaches are so good and the corn was perfect. Thanks for sharing the hammock, Elaine, I just woke up and added more branches to the fire to keep you dry for your upcoming storm.

Love,
Vickie

ElaineM
08-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks for adding more branches. It looks like I will be hanging out at the campfire with you guys for awile. The first storm passed without major incidents, but another one is on the way, according to the weather "experts". I would rather stay dry over there instead of swimming down the street. Smile. I like a little rain, not a flood !!

ElaineM
08-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Only a few of us has visited the campfire during the summer. We have been keeping the fire going at a very, very low heat, so we don't overwhelm anyone during the summer. The area under the trees is actually pretty comfortable. I have been hanging out in my hammock under the when I have free time.

vickie h
08-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi Elaine,
Came to join you at the campfire....soon winter will come and more will flock to the fire. We'll keep it going and swing gently in our hammocks, eat raspberries and look to the moon and stars. Tonight is so beautiful...let's go for a hike in the morning after breakfast and gather some wild blueberries.
Love,
Vickie

ElaineM
08-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Sorry I missed the berry hike. I hope you saved some for me.

vickie h
08-24-2009, 06:52 PM
I saved a whole box for you here in the shade. The temps are dropping so I added a bundle of eucalyptus branches and they smell so aromatic and fresh.
I'm looking up to the stars and praying for all our sisters and brothers who can't be here with us.
tomorrow I'll go into town for some supplies and to take my grandchildren school shopping.
Love,
vickie

ElaineM
08-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the berries. They were delicious The eucalyptus branches smell so nice. I will put a few twigs I brought on the fire before I leave to keep the fire going tonight.

freyja
08-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Who's got a good ghost story? I know we're burning our fears away...but maybe a good spook story would be the perfect distraction from them.

ElaineM
08-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Hold that thought. Ghost stories would be good in October around Halloween. I can share one from where I live. It might be chilly enough to gather enough people around the campfire then too. We could imagine all kinds of scary things in the woods. Oh did I scare everybody away with that comment?

freyja
09-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Building up the fire for Ed and Marie tonight. Big hugs to you guys!

juanita
09-05-2009, 10:59 AM
having a fire here tonight to celebrate my 5 years on monday! anybody in the neighborhod is welcome to stop by.

ElaineM
09-24-2009, 09:27 PM
I going to help Celeste keep the fire burning. Anyone want to join us in the campfire prayer circle?

schoolteacher
09-25-2009, 04:59 AM
Elaine,

I am with all of you keeping the fire burning. I send prayers out today for the Mighty Oak, Joy, Chelee, and any other of our sisters and brothers that need God to comfort them.

May all of us receive blessings.

Amelia

StephN
10-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Congratulations, Juanita - my, how time can fly when we are are busy with our families!

Getting chilly now at night and seems like a good time to add a little fuel to our little campfire. Need to keep some of our suffering souls warm now.

vlcarr
10-11-2009, 12:00 PM
This is so perfect. We are having our first "cold spell" as we call it here in TN and nothing comforts like the warmth of a fire. I'll be keeping the logs handy. I'll bring my vision board my daughter made for me-we can surely read it by the light of the fire with all the positive messages and images to remind us not to be afraid.

I love the idea of writing our fears down and throwing them in the fire--I have several I would like burn.

"And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire"........