PDA

View Full Version : Port removal reassurance needed!

BonnieR
09-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi all. I am needing reassurance about having my port removed. I finished my Herceptin in July. Only would need the port now for routine lab work every 3 months, hopefully. Although I had bilat mast, I only have minor lymphedema symptoms on one side. So would use the other arm for blood work.
The port is in a terrible location. Everyone at the treatment center comments on it. I cannot even wear certain clothes or underwear with thin straps because of where it is situated they irritate it. (But the surgeon said if I ever needed another, it would probably have to be in the same place.) Anyway, my onc saw me today and told my surgeon she was good with having it taken out. So, they just phoned and want to remove it tomorrow morning!!!!. An in-office proceedure. Now I am feeling indecisive! But I don't know why I would keep it "just in case".
Thanks in advance....

Henny
09-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi Bonnie, I also finished Herceptin in July. I was anxious to get the port out and finally did a month ago. It was like having my binkie taken away-what if I needed it again? I kept telling myself that getting it out would help me put this phase behind me and wouldn't have the constant reminder of the pain (lifesaving of course) that went through the port.
So now a month out, I feel great-just a little lingering around the site-psychologically it is very liberating. If I ever need it again, I'll have another popped in.
Good luck tomorrow

Henny

AbbyDawg
09-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi Bonnie!

I'm all for the, "Out! Out! D@mn Port!" approach with no worries IF the need for one would come again.

I had mine pulled immediately because it was like a lobster claw in me from Day 1. (I had bilat too). To me it was the worst thing about chemo.

I just think some ports go in and become a natural part of you with no trouble or else they become a foreign body irritant. And I think it's a coin toss ... random. I am hoping if I need one again, they'll just have better luck with it. But putting up with a bad one isn't vital.

If I ever need a port for general labs, I will ask for a PIC line. It is a semi-permanent one/partially exposed in the elbow. I wore one for 2 years in order to have daily antibiotic IVs for Lyme.

But ... this was also BC BC (before breast cancer) and having to be cautious of things like lymphedema in my arms.

Just a thought from one whose port was a pest.

AbbyDawg

Patb
09-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Its good to let it go if your treatment is over. I did
it in the Dr. office with no problem. It can become
infected and you would have to have it flushed so I
let mine go. Its just one of the things we get attached
too and it is so easy to use and saves the veins.
patb

Bill
09-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Bonnie, if it makes you feel better, take it out. It sounds like a simple procedure for you, and, to be quite honest, God forbid, if you ever need one again, it's fairly simple to get another one. (I just re-read this last sentence. I didn't mean to sound flippant, but I only meant in the context of other surgeries) Please let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Gerri
09-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi Bonnie,

My port never gave me any trouble but I was more than happy to have it removed a few months after completing Herceptin. It was a simple procedure and was done in less than 20 minutes. I do have trouble with blood draws because the veins in my usuable arm are shot, but I don't regret having my port removed.

Catherine
09-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes, it is easy to have your port removed. I had mine out after a year of Herceptin. Easily done in the office with a few stiches. Did not even really hurt. I have sort of an ugly scar, but I am glad it is gone. Hoping, I never need another one. I am lucky that I have good veins on my good arm. I hope it goes smoothly for you. I think you will be glad it is gone, I am glad mine is gone.

Good luck, Catherine

BonnieR
09-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feed back. I just needed some hand-holding. Tomorrow it goes.

madubois63
09-10-2008, 02:31 AM
First off - you should not be using the lymphodema arm for blood work!! Take care of that arm!!! I am all for having the port out if it isn't needed. You can have a port placed on either side in the future if need be (hopefully not). They use a CAT scan to find the best placement. I've had 3 on the right side and 1 one the left side. I've also had 2 catheters, 1 pick line and 1 central line, so I think I know a little about this. You may be sore for a day or 2, but this is one of the easiest cancer related problems you can have. Good luck and be happy with your decision. This will not jinx you in any way.

BonnieR
09-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Maryann, I bow to your voince of experience. Thanks.
Everyone here has been much more encouraging than the staffer from the surgeon's office who said, when calling to arrange the appointment for port removal, that the process of having it removed in the office sounded "creepy" to her!! Really inspires confidence! Just hoping the surgeon does not feel that way herself! lol

Becky
09-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Out, out, out Bonnie. You don't need it anymore. What's more - you will have to keep having it flushed when not in use besides. It will be alright and you'll love being able to wear whatever you want (or don't want:))

AlaskaAngel
09-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Hi Bonnie,

I kept mine and still have it, but I have had BIG draws every 4 months as part of a trial to develop better markers for breast cancer and ovarian cancer. It hasn't been a problem and isn't inconvenient like yours is and in fact I rarely remember mine is there. But the last draw I had was difficult for the first time, and I may be having it removed. The flushes are an extra cost I don't need. I kept it originally because I have never had Herceptin and thought I might. Go get it out and then celebrate!

A.A.

BonnieR
09-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Okay, I have been "de-ported" as my husband says! It went well an already feels good not to have that protrusion. Thanks everyone for the support!

Chelee
09-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Bonnie, I remember how difficult it was for me to have my port removed...even with my onc, surgeon and 2nd opinion onc all recommending I have it removed. I was surprised they all told me to have it out that soon after finishing my herceptin, especially being stage III with pos nodes?

But it was great once I decided to have it removed...no more trips to have it flushed. Plus it was much more freeing then I thought possible. Believe me...you will be so glad you did this. So congratulations on yet another step of moving forward. :) Its nice to hear you have offically been "de-ported". Love that!

Chelee

juanita
09-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Glad things went good!