PDA

View Full Version : Testing - Which and When?

'lizbeth
09-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm almost through with my 6 treatments of Taxotere. I still have my year of Herceptin to finish.

I was wondering what tests & scans you each used to follow up on the cancer and how often?

I think my doctor wants to do a cat scan every 3 months (and I forgot to ask starting when).

I want to be proactive about my care - so please share what worked best so I can study up!

PS. And if there are any other grounded pilots I'd love to hear from you.

thanks,

'lizbeth

PinkGirl
09-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Hi
My onc. doesn't do any follow up tests. If I complain about
some pain, then I have scans.

Right now I have check-ups at my cancer centre every 3
months. I think it will soon change to 4-6 months. I get
a very thorough physical examination.

Other than that, I have a
mammogram and bone density test yearly. He does not do
tumour markers. I think it depends on your onc.

SoCalGal
09-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Hi-

My onc did an office exam plus tumor markers three times a year. Plus I had a mammogram twice a year. When I had my recurrence (6 years later) I found that lump.

After the local recurrence and bilaterial w/recon. he added a petscan to the tumor markers and exam's. I had normal markers until APRIL of 2007 when I was DX stage 4.

I think that it's important to look at markers because it's an EASY tool - a blood test. It does not tell the whole picture and for some does not even relate but for many who have normal markers - the elevated marker is the first "sign" of trouble.

Flori

Brenda_D
09-09-2008, 08:38 AM
My onc does tumor marker blood work every 4 months, and a pet/ct scan once a year, so far.
He does do a physical exam of my lymph nodes in the neck, shoulder, and under arm areas each time I see him now, which is about every 4 months.
I also have CMP and CBC's drawn, in addition to the
Ca 27-29.
I am going on 2 years out from surgery.