PDA

View Full Version : having a boy

LAURIE
09-07-2008, 08:19 PM
We found out on Tuesday that the baby alien (that what the ultrasound looks like to me) in me is a boy. It was our first ultrasound. I am now 17 weeks preggers and showing some belly now. I will have to say that having this baby has kept my mind off the fear of a BC reoccurance. We should find out more genetic testing results this week. I was able to see a head, spine, arms, legs, hands and feet. Since I am of "advanced maternal age" they docs encourage some more advanced testing.

We do not know of a name yet, but it is on or minds a lot. I was secretly hoping for a girl and my husband wanted a boy. I did not know his reason why until tuesday. He said that if it was a girl that he did not want her to have the lifelong increased risk of BC since her mom had it as such a young age. Why in the world did I not think of that. What a swetheart for him to think of that.

I am feeing pretty good. For some reason I am having lots of charley horses in my calves. Thought it might be a vitamin defeciency so I'm uping my vitamins. My lymphedema is a little bit worse, but not horrible and what reminds me of my chemo days is the constipation. I had forgotten how icky that can make you feel.

I will keep you all updated when we find out more test results. Its strange to think, but even if this baby is "special", I know we can handle anything that comes our way. Having cancer in your life really makes you grow up fast.

lexigirl
09-07-2008, 08:33 PM
WooHoo Laurie!! A son!!! How terrific!! I am so excited for you and your dh!!

I had the charlie horses also while pregnant. They would wake me out of a sound sleep. I was told it could be a potassium deficiency. I tried to add banana's to my diet. My mil also said a spoonfull of molasses was a good source of potassium.

Can't wait for more updates!! I am looking forward to pics!

Lexi

Bill
09-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Congratulations, Laurie! Cramps, charley-horses also can be caused by dehydration. Drink a few more bottles of water a day. It can't hurt and it may help. Calling your son "the alien" reminds me- I call my son "the enigma". He lifted his head and looked around the day he was born, and when he left the hospital 3 days later(c-section baby, had to be kept for jaundice) he was already rolling over by himself. And yes, you can handle anything that comes your way!

madubois63
09-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Here's a name for you...how about Ned??? Congratulations and I will be praying for all those extra tests to be good news!!!!

karenann
09-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Laurie,

Congratulations on your terrific news!

Karen

harrie
09-07-2008, 11:32 PM
A boy!!! Well that son of yours is going to have a record number of aunties and uncles!!!
Yes, please keep us updated and wishing your a healthy smooth pregnancy.....

Mary Jo
09-08-2008, 03:59 AM
Sweet!

Mary Jo

dhealey
09-08-2008, 04:06 AM
Congrats Laurie. Glad your doing so well. It's nice to hear some good news for a change. God Bless!

WomanofSteel
09-08-2008, 04:08 AM
Laurie, what wonderful news! Hope everything goes smoothly with the tests. Will say an extra prayer for you and your baby boy!

DonnaD
09-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Laurie,
I was just thinking of you last week and hoping all was going well. A BOY! Congrats. I have two little grandsons. You will be a great Mom.

Continued prayers for you and that sweet little boy!
Donna

Ruth
09-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Laurie ~ How absolutely wonderful! I am soooooo happy for you and your hubby. This is great news! You are almost half way there. Yippee!

Hugs ~ Ruth

Becky
09-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Wonderful news.

FYI - Like Lexi, I had horrible charley horses in my calves when pregnant. I think it just happens to some women.

Stay well and eat whatever you want!

Believe51
09-08-2008, 11:19 AM
A boy, our nephew. Oh Sweetheart, I am so happy to hear of this news. Of course we will be spoiling him with lots of loving, but I am sure you are aware of that by now. Please keep us updated and fill us with all the details when you get them. Any morning sickness?? Lots of well-wishing>>Believe51

tricia keegan
09-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Aw Laurie, thats so sweet and I'm really pleased for you and that little boy. Keep us posted!

juanita
09-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!

janieR
09-08-2008, 12:30 PM
many, many congratulations - how wonderful, I am so very happy for you

Janie

mts
09-08-2008, 01:03 PM
There is nothing more cuddly than a little, baby boy snuggled in your arms...

I am so happy for you !!!

Regarding the name- I did not have a name until after I delivered. So, take your time !!!

Knowing your parents -just think what a wonderfully spoiled little boy he will be !

lotsa love !

Maria

chrisy
09-08-2008, 01:06 PM
laurie, thanks for posting this - and reminding us that life does go on!

Lien
09-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Dear Laurie,

Such wonderful news! I have 4 boys and they are all terrific. The two older ones are my husbands' but they have become mine emotionally too. The two younger ones I had at age 36 and 40. The youngest was a home-brith too! And the cramps could be caused by a magnesium deficit.

Aren't these ultrasound images amazing? I remember the first one so well; he seemed to be waving at us. With my youngest all the alarmbells started ringing because they thought they could see some heart trouble. Fortunately all turned out to be well. He's 8 now and healthy as can be.

May everything go smoothly for you, and may your son be a joy to you for ever and ever!

Lien

Jackie07
09-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Congratulations! I am so happy for you. Thanks for sharing.

Sheila
09-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Laurie
So excited for you...this must be the season for boys...my son and his wife are having a boy in November!...He will be the most wonderful gift...and make you so proud!

sassy
09-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Wonderful news Laurie!

I have two boys and have loved every day with them!

Boys are great!

(I'm sure girls are too!)

Joan M
09-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Laurie,

Wonderful news ... Great scan results!

Joan

StillHere
09-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Laurie, Your news was the best non-pharmaceutical UPPER ever!

caya
09-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Congrats Laurie - thanks for posting this happy news.

And I was also a member of the charley horse in the calves club when pregnant -

all the best
caya

Faith in Him
09-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Congratulations. Now it's fun to go to the doctor, huh?

Hugs,
Tonya

lilyecuadorian
09-08-2008, 08:38 PM
congratulatios Laurie . I hope everything going to be Ok for you and baby ,my nephew too may aunts here ....