PDA

View Full Version : Port Port info please!

Unregistered
09-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi ladies,
Still me (Soccermom) not logged in...got a quick question for a friend...
If you have a "power port" (one capable of taking contrast etc) did you have any pain with it during the use of contrast for example the feeling/pain when the contrast was pushed directly into an IV during CT scans etc?
Thanks in advance for your responses!
Hugs,Marcia

Barbara H.
09-06-2008, 05:04 PM
HI,
I don't have a power port, but I have had a burning pain when it is going into my vein. My veins are small. Next time you use it tell them what has happened in the past and request that they set the machine at the lowest possible setting.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

SoCalGal
09-06-2008, 05:59 PM
On my last mri I told the tech that I hate the "taste" and hot feeling of the contrast. She said I won't have it how she does it - and for the first time in 10 years it was fine. The key she told me for future -tell them to use a small needle (for my veins) and push VERY VERY VERY VERY slowly.

Bill
09-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Nikki had a power port the second time around and I don't recall ever hearing her complain of any pain during the contrast injections. Our only complaint was trying to convince the techs. that yes, they could inject the contrast dye into the port.

Unregistered
09-06-2008, 07:50 PM
THX y'all ..keep those somentaries coming in ..I will forward them to my friend who is contemplating getting a power port..

Hugs,Marcia

ps I will try and get my pasword sent again...

Soccermom2006
09-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Okay am logged back in..whew..I just wanted to thank you all for your input...I think Michelle is concerned she will still have the pain of the contrast push with a port. I have tried to reassure her that having a port is a good thing as she has recurred after a ten year run and will be taking Aredia every 6 weeks. her veins are not so hot and every stick has been very painful. thanks again you guys!
Marcia

Bill
09-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah, it seems in my experience, that in the long run, a port is a good idea. I hope you have good luck in convincing your friend.