PDA

View Full Version : Port was infectec & had to come out...

mariapiedra
09-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi All, I had my port put in about three weeks ago. Brand new, never been used "Power Port" got infected and had to come out yesterday. I'm glad it's out, because it was so sore. But, now I have to decide what to do next. I've had 2 infusions of taxol/herceptin using the veins in my arm, I have 10 more to go, then herceptin every three weeks until September 2009. I'm not too excited to get another port with the bad experience with first one (what if next one gets infected too), but also worried about damage to my viens with so many infusions. Any advice would be welcomed. Has anyone had success using viens for treatment and have any tips you would like to share that you found helpful? Thanks!!

juanita
09-04-2008, 02:45 PM
I had no port for 6 cmf treatments and then a year of herceptin. Never had any problems except for one week when regular nurse was off and had a sub. I found it helped to use like a hand warmer on wherever they were going to start it at for a few minutes first.

Sheila
09-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Maria
I had my 40th Taxol treatment today and my??? (almost 5 years) Herceptin treatment...I just got my port last November 27th...until then it was the veins in my right arm only....the Taxol did a number on the veins, but I was also on Avastin...still all in all, they held up....
I am glad the infected port is out...how good are your veins? That is the key question...the nurses who "stick" you should be able to answer that!

Becky
09-04-2008, 08:13 PM
I did not have a port for 4 AC and 4 Taxol and 16 months of Herceptin. I get Zometa every 6 months plus normal blood draws for tumor markers and the normal stuff like cholesterol etc. My veins are alittle shot but they get me eventually. There are other kinds of ports. You can explore until you are feeling better and ask the onc nurses their opinion.

Believe51
09-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Thinking of you and wondering how you are healing??>>Believe51

madubois63
09-10-2008, 02:59 AM
Maria - I just posted about my port experiences (well not all the details) on another thread. My first port flipped the night before my last treatment with AC/Taxol. It came out immediately. Four years later, I relapsed and had another one put in. I used that one for Carboplaten/Taxatere and weekly Herceptin for over a year and a half. My port was very tempermental and I had to have it replaced. Then I got leukemia (from too much chemo). I had to have a catheter placed just below my port. When I got to Roswell Park for my bone marrow transplant, they wanted a new catheter. They pulled the old one and replaced it with "their" catheter. Then I ran a fever for less than two hours (I beleive it was nerves). They decided my port was infected (I still beleive that it wasn't). They told me I could not have the transplant unless they took out the port. So they took it out. Several months later, the catheter was removed (just didn't need it - yeah!!). But then the bc came back and I had my fourth port put it. So far so good. I have been stuck sooooo many times in the one arm I am able to use. I would never hesitate to have a new port in if need be. I think they really save you pain, time and aggrivation. In my opinion, you have over a year of Herceptin to go and I would have a new port put in. I hope they gave you some anti-biotics for the infection??? Also, if you decide to have a new port put in, make sure they do CAT scan guided placement. It may make the difference in how long your port lasts and how it performs. Good luck no matter what decision you make!!