PDA

View Full Version : Breast cancer recurrence seen as low after 5 years

Joan M
08-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Good news!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Women who survive breast cancer for five years after treatment have a relatively low risk of the disease recurring, according to a U.S. study published on Tuesday.

Even women with serious stage III breast cancer have only a 13 percent risk of the cancer returning if they survived the first five years cancer free, researchers said, commenting on a study that generally did not include some newer treatments such as Herceptin and the aromatase inhibitors.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN1248209720080812?feedType=nl&feedName=ushealth200

Ruth
08-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Thank you Joan! I love reading things like that.

I had my 6 month check-up today and he told me just about the same thing. Now I am on a yearly check-up schedule (yippee!!). He told me today for the first time that he thought when I was diagnosed that it was "unlikely" that I would be where I am today just based on what I had (age, path, nodes etc) - YEAH for Herceptin and Taxol! I was his first yearly Herceptin off label gal for my stage. He is so proud and excited!
Hugs ~ Ruth

Margerie
08-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks for posting the article Joan! Looking forward to adding a couple more years of NED under my belt.

Mary Jo
08-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Thank you Joan for posting that. It's so encouraging and encouragement and hope is something all of us need.

Hey Joan, I was thinking of you today and yesterday (while I was praying for you) and wonder when the procedure for your lung is taking place???

Love to you ALL and Ruth - awesome 5 years NED - I didn't know! You go fly and soar and enjoy every dang minute............

Mary Jo

caya
08-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks for posting this Joan - And the article says the recurrence risk did not assess the effect of drugs like the AIs and Herceptin - Can you imagine how much lower the risk recurrence could be when the next big study does reflect them?

Whoo hoo - we're getting there folks.

all the best
caya

Margerie
08-12-2008, 08:18 PM
on what looks like the same study:

http://www.asco.org/ASCO/News/Cancer+News?&reuterview=detail_view&reutersid=11189

The proverbial glass half-empty of half-full!

Joan M
08-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Margerie,

Yes, it's the same study:

"A total of 216 [of 2838] patients developed recurrence. The recurrence-free survival rate was 89% and 80% at 5 and 10 years, respectively, after the completion of 5 years of AST. Residual 5-year risk of recurrence was 7% for stage I, 11% for stage II, and 13% for stage III disease."

But there's a different spin on it.

This article drills down into these specific details (while ignoring other details). For example, I'm sure that if the sample were broken down into women with 10+ positive lymph nodes, the rate of survival would be lower, or whatever else can be pulled out from the study. So it does just depend on how it's looked at. But I think the overall rates as noted above are very good.

But I would agree -- that we are not there yet.

Hi Mary Jo, I'm having the procedure done on Thursday and getting very nervous about it. But I guess that's natural. I'm hoping for a good outcome. I'll be in the hospital overnight and if there are no complications will come home and rest for a few days. Then it will be back to work again. Thanks for thinking about me and for your prayers.

Joan

Chelee
08-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Joan, I had a bad day today after seening my endo...a long story. But this article you posted just ended my day on a high note. :) Thank you so much for posting it. I just love hearing good news like that. :)

Chelee

nitewind
08-13-2008, 07:04 AM
I want to add my thanks for this article. I saw my Onc on Monday for my three month checkup and everything is good. Just had to ask him what he thought about my chance of recurrance. He said everyday out from surgery is a good day and more than likely if I'm going to recur it will be within three years. I'm now two years out from my surgery and so very hopeful. Thanks again for the article.
hugs

Diane H
08-14-2008, 05:07 AM
Thanks Joan! Love this post, great to hear such encouraging news, Thanks so much!