PDA

View Full Version : !Hola Amigos! Headache worries...

SoCalGal
08-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi -
I am in Mexico with my kids for a few days. Trying for some R and R. Just got my internet working - and checked in here of course so I feel more at home.

I've been having a lot of migraine headaches - so finally called the onc to see if it is some side effect of my chemo combo. She said go have a brain mri. I'm due for one around now anyways. NOT what I wanted to hear. I do have a life-long history of migraines - as do both my kids. But I have been pretty free of them since my hormones left about 10 years ago. It is unusual for me to have so many of them but not unheard of. I asked if migraines were a sign of brain mets and was told not usually but can be. I had no symptoms when I had the little met zapped in February. And even if it came back from my "all clear" in May why would it make headaches? Can you tell I'm obsessing? I feel scared and really don't want to think about the worse but with my head hurting again it's hard to change the subject in my mind. (I already tried to make a deal with god to just please let me have one good week with my kids. So far I have another headache. Maybe I should have asked in Spanish?)

Thanks for listening to my fears again. I'm afraid you all know the drill oh so well. Let me know if you have any insights. (If I had to guess I'd say it's a combo from the vagifem which gives me hot flashes and the tykerb/herceptin/avastin which seems to have given me an allergy type stuffy sinus thingy - or another random bout of cluster migraines that have no rhyme or reason).

By the way - it is really beautiful here in Cabo San Lucas - our first time here - and I am overlooking the Sea of Cortez and watching the ocean change colors as the sun goes down. Feeling gratitude for so much but I want more - I want pain free living!

xoxo Beso-beso
Flori

Sheila
08-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Flori dear....get a check on the B/P...it could be the culprit....Avastin did a number on mine, and of course higher B/P can trigger the headaches....
I am hoping that the sea salt will be good for the sinuses and the headaches will disappear so you can enjoy the beauty and tranquility of this trip with your children....you are a warrior woman...you deserve the R&R!

Jean
08-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Dear Flori,
I am sorry you are having those headaches.
I can feel your worry through the internet and who can fault you.

But, you are on a wonderful vacation please try to enjoy yourself and your family (I know easier said than done)
but your description of the sea...and the view sure sounds divine. Have fun enjoy it all...when you get home you will address those headaches....which will turn out to be from side effects of chemo or stress related.

My prayers are with you...
Por Favor, Querido Dios Flori hacer la cabeza se nada y se van.

(which says: Please dear God, make Flori's headaches
be nothing and go away.)

Now go have fun!

Kindest Regards,
Jean

Yorkiegirl
08-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Flori, I don't have any answers. Just wanted to say I'm thinking about you.
Maybe it could be a change in the climate?? I do agree about having your BP checked.
Do try and have fun with your kid's.

Catherine
08-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Beuno Flori,

I do not know spanish, but I have been to Cabo. So I am picturing you there, dipping in and out of the pool. I do not know anything about migraines, but I too, vote for checking out your BP. Try not to worry. Enjoy your family and your vacation. I will send good vibes south to you. You better hurry back, because everyone is getting on face book. My computer skills will keep me here for now. Bye, bye migraines we hope.

Catherine

hutchibk
08-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Oh crud, Flori. What a headache headaches can be. I have no advice, or ideas for you, but I am thinking about you. Sheila might be on to something... or could it be allergies? Enjoy your vaca as much as possible... Love ya, Brenda

BonnieR
08-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Flori, as the other have said, and I know it is difficult, but do try to concentrate on the holiday you are having. Although the pain is hard to ignore, at least try to not project about the cause. There will be time enough to do that if, and when, you actually have a reason. Which you probably WON'T.
I hope you have something for the pain? Sometimes pharmacies in Mexico are able to give you medication over the counter that we need prescriptions for in the States if there is something you are accustomed to taking for relief at home..
via con Dios.

Sheila
08-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Flori
Reading what Bonnie wrote brougfht back an old memory from Puerto Vallarta Mexico...Never having taken Spanish class in high school, I was in Mexico in the early 70's, with my husband and his parents. My mother in law was "body surfing" and ended up with muchos sand in the pants...which in turn caused irritation or minor "sandblasting" to the crotch....being a nurse, I took her to a pharmacy type place, looking for some type of cream to soothe the irritation...EVERYTHING was in SPANISH....so I am thinking, they have to have Desitin..perfect for a babies bottom, perfect for my mother in law....I found a package called Desenexo...this was it, the perfect solution...I grabbed it & purchased it like I had found the cure for smallpox. I presented it to my mother in law , who in turn respected my medical advice, and began applying the cream....about 15 minutes later she called me...her unmentionables were on fire, this cream had caused a "volcano" in her pants.....oh yeah, I had purchased Desinex for Athletes foot.....could this be why she is my "former" mother in law? Be careful what you purchase unless you are fluent in spanish.

lilyecuadorian
08-12-2008, 07:48 AM
what type of medicine is for headaches ? if is tylenol or advil ? there is the same overthere ...all sub-america !
I remember my DOc prescripme that when I start having headache before my brain metastasis , but never took it becasue it was diferent headaches!
I just call a friend and she said "migradoricina" ok that is in Ecuador and another "doricinarelax" and with this one is for relax and sleep better maybe is en Mexico too!! ...just try to help ! I'm not a DOc my friend !!..

BonnieR
08-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Flori, since you are in Cabo I hope you could find a pharmacist (not just a clerk) who speaks English. Certainly you would have to be extra careful that you are receiving the same medication that you already take for migranes. I would not let anyone "prescribe" anything new. Any hopefully by the time you read these messages the headache will have gone away anyhow. God bless.

PS: Sheila, good story! I have done the same thing with menus. With less dire consequences!

Joan M
08-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Flori,

I'm sorry to hear of your headaches. But I'm glad you have a history of migraines -- as strange as that sounds.

Perhaps it's more of that, but I don't blame you for being worried. We've all had our share of worries. In fact, I'm due for a brain MRI since I haven't had one since May 2007. It's best to just check it out.

Try to enjoy Cabo San Lucas. It sounds wonderful.

And you can talk about your fears all you want. We're always listening.

Joan

Gerri
08-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Flori,

There is no pain quite like a migraine! I too have a life-long history and finally got them under control taking a daily med. I have nothing to offer as far as the possibility of brain mets, but I do know exactly how you feel. I'm sorry to hear that your kids experience them too. No chance that they have migraine medication with them? If you are having them non stop (UGH!) this is definitely something to get checked out. I hope you can enjoy your time in Cabo.

SoCalGal
08-12-2008, 11:06 PM
thank you for being with me - it's like I cannot navigate for myself with certain things that might be something bad so I fall apart and my thinking gets drowned. I do have my migraine meds with me - they don't really help - they make me kind of ish-ka-bible. But today was a good day. I took low doses of Ativan most of the day to get rid of anxiety that woke me at 6:00. Decided to stay on a low dose (.25) every few hours until I felt like my old steady self. Was fine this evening and intend to continue along that path for the rest of our trip.

GREAT story Sheila. Might just have to stop at a Pharmacia tomorrow just to see what they have. Like you said Jean - I can deal with them when I get home. Thanks again everyone. xxooxxoo Flori

Lien
08-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Dear Flori,

I'm so sorry you are having migraines, and even more sorry that you are scared they might be cancer=connected. My migraines turned out to be allergy related. So perhaps there's a link with the allergic reaction and the sinusitis. One can develop allergies later in life. It happened to me. So please try to focus on that possibility and have a great time with your kids. I hope the migraines will subside soon.

Love

Lien

loveher
08-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Flori
good to hear your feeling a bit better. i get migranes too (hate em) i hope yours are just the routine annoying kind. i also hope they aren't affecting your vacation too much. enjoy it! Cabo sounds relaxing!
i am probably the queen of worrying as you know but dont let those bad thoughts take over. you'll get the mri done, then you will know for sure and then you'll share the good news with us!
*hugs*
sue

AlaskaAngel
08-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi Flori,

I'm so sorry to hear you are in limbo. Could it be the change to a place with constant bright sunshine and white sand that is bringing on the headaches?

Hugs,

AlaskaAngel

R.B.
08-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Gosh the Gulf of Cortez sounds wonderful.

Have a great time.

Usual boring old message and a good excuse for some seafood in the unlikely event you have not already taken care of the Omega 3s.

There is some evidence that Omega 3s may assist although trials are mixed

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Omega-to-soothe-migraines

http://www.hbnarchive.com/2008/081608.mp3

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12480795?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anl.Pubmed_RVDocSum