PDA

View Full Version : Our Favorite Places

ElaineM
08-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Aloha,
After reading all the wonderful descriptions of Kenya I have a suggestion. Why don't each one of us share a little information about our favorite places in our countries or states?
I will start. My favorite island in my state is Hawaii Island or as we say here, The Big Island. You can find beautiful beaches, volcanoes, mountains, lush rain forests, wide open spaces, waterfalls, and snow capped volcanoes on the Big Island.
Who wants to share a favorite place next??????????

notamrnpsn
08-09-2008, 02:11 PM
My favorite place, even though I live in Florida is Scotland. I was born and raised there, and there is nothing more beautiful that being up in the heather covered hills, where you can still see the Highland cattle and the red deer running. To go there in the autumn is breathtaking. The water from the streams is pure and ice cold. Thats why they make such good Scotch. Going back in the spring for a visit. Jeanette

juanita
08-11-2008, 04:14 PM
my favorite place in indiana is the southern part of the state. the hills, the roads cut through the rock and the ohio river.

Believe51
08-13-2008, 07:59 AM
My favorite place to be is in my husband's arms, On or Near the ocean. The sun reaches down to kiss our faces, the sweet smell of salt air breeze blows away all of our sorrows, the sound of the vibrant surf makes our senses come alive. I love the sand between my feet as I walk the beach with my favorite person, his arms around my waist, the smiles when he looks at me...I have never been so free and content as when we are at the water.

As for places, I think I would have to say Grand Cayman.....let you know when I get back from our "Remission Cruise" if that has changed!!>>Believe51

Joe
08-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Believe 51,

You've taken NED to a new level. I may have to send a bucket of SoCal water to Rhode Island to cool you off.

Our favorite place is a restaurant called Dini's By The Sea in Carlsbad. It overlooks the ocean and has the most gorgeous sunsets.

Regards
Joe

Believe51
08-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Joe, trade ya for some Ispwitch clams, (smiling hard)>>Marie

hutchibk
08-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Marie - Joe is right, we need to all send you buckets of water to cool you down - LOL!

My favorite places in Texas are (it's a BIG state, so cut me some slack...):

The Texas Hill Country, which is central and slightly west of central Texas. Just beautiful quintessential Texas which includes the Highland Lakes, Fredricksburg, etc.

Southeast Central Texas between LaGrange, Victoria and Houston... RoundTop, Schulenberg, etc.

The real Cowboy cities of San Antonio, Ft Worth and El Paso...

Highway 281 all the way from north to south through the state.

hutchibk
08-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Now, for the rest of the world, my fav places are Heidelberg GER (and Bavaria), Elmau AUS, the Cote d'Azur (St. Tropez FRA and Monte Carlo MON), Portofino and Santa Margherita ITA.

Jean
08-13-2008, 12:35 PM
What a "Great " thread!

Well, like Marie and Ed, my family and I are water bugs. Love the Ocean and the Lakes.

But my Most Favorite Place is Lake George in the Adirondacks - Swimming in the Lake is so liberating
and when my husband, son and I swim a great distance in the Lake out to a buoy and each year we take a laundry magic marker and put the year on it. So far
the three of us have done this for 9 yrs. (minus the summer on chemo).

Jean

ElaineM
08-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Aloha,
Mahalo for all the great contributions so far. I am happy to see you are enjoying this thread and contributing to it. The more the merrier !!

harrie
08-13-2008, 11:45 PM
My favorite place is my home and yard. We have a very modest home, but it is located on top of this hill with acres all around us.
Depending on the direction on where you are turning...you can see the ocean, the mountains, forests....at night the air is so clean and pure....the sky is always a majestic view to behold with the changes in the color of the sky and the formation of the clouds.....You see trees and hills for miles and miles....
You can lie on your stomach on the ground, look out, and just imagine what a bird must feel like soaring in the sky just in front of your eyes.
In the mornings you can see the sunrise over the ocean, every evening you can see the sunset over our mountain.
Like I said, this is not a fancy place to live, but the peace, serenity and beauty given off by the land and the sky makes me feel very appreciative to be alive.

ElaineM
08-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi Maryanne,
Wow !! Your description of your home makes me want one of those !! You are very lucky to live in such a beautiful and peaceful place. Do you live between downtown Hilo and Mountain View or between Hilo and Akaka Falls?
I spent a week at a friend's log cabin in the mountains north of South Point one summer. We used an outdoor bathroom and shower. I took showers while looking at tall trees. When we sat outside we could see all the way to Hilo and the ocean beyond. The air was cool and clear at night, so we could see alot of stars. We slept in sleeping bags in the living room, because there were not enough bedrooms, but it was alot of fun. We met wild turkeys when we took walks through the woods. We picked fresh veggies and fruit from the garden for dinner. It was heaven on earth !!

Yorkiegirl
08-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Even tho I live in Texas. My most favorite place is just about anywhere in Germany. We were stationed there for 5 yrs and if I could I would go back in a heartbeat.

AbbyDawg
08-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Favorite Place in My Home State of Minnesota:
Dell, MN - in the 1960s before the white country church burned and the country school and store were torn down - about 4 miles from Frost, MN, and 2 miles from my Grandma's farm on the Blue Earth River. In the 1850s, my fraternal great-great grandparents came from Norway and built their log cabin near there, and my Swedish great grandmother was born in a dugout by the river. They lived there until their log cabin was built. All within 12 miles of where I live now in Blue Earth, MN. Dell was an official town and I doubt the population was ever much over 15. In my childhood years, every Thanksgiving and Christmas we would harness up Red (the horse), complete with a strap of sleighbells, and a single-bench red sleigh (cutter). All of us cousins would pile in with Grandma and my Aunt and sing off-key, "Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house we go. The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh, through the white and drifting snow...." We'd ride in the cutter from Grandma's farm to Dell and back. ............ Heaven on Earth.

Favorite Places in Colorado (Where I Went to College):
The town of Ouray, high up in the central part of the Rockies. The view of Wolf Creek Pass near Durango. And riding the Durango-Silverton steam train in the Fall.

Favorite Place Outside of USA:
Southern Germany - The view on the way up to Berg Eltz ... a castle on the Mosel River). A slightly steep walk through thick forest in a light misty rain up a natural slate path ... then around a dark hidden turn it opened into a view of the castle in the sunlight.

AbbyDawg

Henny
08-15-2008, 09:15 PM
My favorite place to smell the ocean and feel the wind is the Oregon coast

Henny

Henny
08-15-2008, 09:15 PM
With my husband and dog of course

H

Sheila
08-16-2008, 05:24 AM
I have a few favorite places and one of them would half to be Florida...the gulf coast and the keys..especially Key West .I love the ocean, the sand, the sun and the palm trees...I truly feel at peace surrounded by those things...I alwasy use them for visualization when having my brain MRI's! Key West has a very simple life, beach bungalow atmosphere that makes me want to grab a book, a rum runner and lay in a hammock while the breezes blow, the waves hit the sand and the sun warms me...through in a little reggae and it is paradise. I think Hawaii or Tahiti could be my favorite place, but since I have never been to either, I will never know. My son went to Tahiti on his honeymoon and it looked glorious, and Hawaii...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kathy S in Tokyo
08-17-2008, 06:50 PM
White Lake in the Adirondacks - cold clear water, a big shelf of books next to a comfortable chair on the screened in porch overlooking the lake.

ElaineM
08-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful contributions. Too bad we can't take a tour of all those places. :) :) Well, we can pick one from the list or our favorite places and keep it in our minds during prayer, visualization or meditation.
Maybe the universe will take us there even it is only for a few minutes.

hutchibk
08-17-2008, 09:30 PM
It's so much fun to learn a little more about everybody - I love hearing that many of us LOVE Germany...

I lived there for 10 years as a kid (army brat) and it is definitely my other home~

karenann
08-25-2008, 08:48 AM
We lived in Australia for two years, so I would have to say Balmoral Beach, watching the new years eve fireworks, while sitting in the Botanical Gardens by the opera house and many other locations around Sydney. I also love my garden in Northern California, too.

Karen

Believe51
10-07-2008, 01:26 PM
And I must say that St. Thomas is a glorious place with all of our favorite elements. We saw a 4 foot Iguana there and Ed named him Iggy. Photo hag that I am I was about 2 feet away when I was grabbing pictures. Of course he puffed all up and looked at me like "Hey, I did not get this huge being afraid of humans and I will mess you up. What is so wrong with me?? We hope to take another vacation in the near future and it will be solely to St. Thomas. For now I will settled for another day with Mighty Oak, nothing better!!!>>Believe51