View Full Version : ???Detox Diets???

RhondaH
08-01-2008, 09:45 AM
What's your opinion of detox diets?

Rhonda

Mary Jo
08-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Rhonda,

It's funny you brought this up today because just this morning I was thinking on those lines. Not so much "detox" as fasting. I've wondered about a day long fast - only water - maybe monthly but wondered if that would even serve a purpose. I'm thinking a detox diet would involve diarrehea (sorry to be gross but that's what I think it means) and that sounds like way more fun than I'd like to have........but, hey, I'm open to anything........maybehttp://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

MJ

caya
08-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Rhonda,

I've been wondering about this too. I have my first post-treatment 3 month check up next week, I will ask my onc. about this. (He probably won't like it, but I will ask anyways).

all the best
caya

chrisy
08-01-2008, 05:31 PM
I think generally, our bodies are able to handle everyday detoxification provided we eat a healthy diet etc. That's what they were perfectly made for.

However, I've recently come to believe that under certain kinds of stress (like chemo!), these processes can become overwhelmed. As in my case with Traz DM1.

So I've actually had pretty good results from a liver detox diet in helping my liver function markers get a bit lower.

I guess it can be useful at times, but normally just all the "good clean foods" rules should cover us.

Just my opinion.

Alice
08-02-2008, 10:32 AM
I have also been wondering about this subject. I think as long as they are not too severe, they can be of benefit even if it is just to the point of feeling as though you are not just sitting on the sideline waiting for the other shoe to drop. Just my opinion. Chrissy can you give us some info on the liver clense diet?
Thanks, Alice

BonnieR
08-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Detoxing from what?

Alice
08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Detoxing from all the badness in our environment. The air we breathe, the addatives in our foods, the poisins we spray on them etc...

Alaska Laura
08-02-2008, 11:09 AM
If you'd like to cleanse your liver, I suggest the Fat Resistance Diet (not the whole thing) by Galland, there is a section in there where you eat blueberries, cherries, grapefruit, promagrantes, and other certain fruits and vegi's, on a daily basis, I do it for about a week. It will cleanse you out and you get the added bonus of natural antioxidants. I have done it twice since I have finished my radiation treatments and I usually feel pretty darn good after eating this way for a week. You feel great, clean you liver, and you don't starve. You can get the book from the library, that's what I did, just so I could copy down the core type foods.

Esther
08-03-2008, 09:29 AM
A good cleansing diet can help rid your body of chemo and other chemicals, like scan dyes, etc.

I found a good one that recommends lot's juicing of fresh fruits and vegetables. Basmatti Rice, limit meat, get protein from legumes and nuts. It seems to work well. Lemonade made with fresh squeezed lemon is great too.

It make me feel good, so that it reason enough for me to do them occasionally.

chrisy
08-03-2008, 10:51 AM
My 'liver cleansing' diet is to include the following daily for 7 days:

1C carrot salad (pulp from juicing or just ground up fine in food processor + 1T each olive oil and lemon juice)

1-2C 'green soup' (equal amts celery, zucchini, green beans simmered till just tendered then pureed in a blender, add 1T each parsley and butter). I also have been adding artichoke, and you can season this with whatever spices you want

2 glasses of Green Drink (juiced from any green veggies, then mixed with equal part of mild juice made from fruits). Technically you're sposed to juice this all, but I usually make a smoothie from carrots, "green stuff" like lettuce or greens, cucumber, protein powder (chocolate flavor of course!) blueberries+/- other fruits, and beet juice. DELICIOUS might be a stretch, but if you get good proportions it can be quite tasty. You also need to add some water of course, and if you don't add enough it looks like polyjuice potion from Harry Potter.

3 oz fresh beet juice (total, not in addition to if you put it in the polyjuice potion). Since this is such a mess to make, I juice a bunch of it and freeze it in an icecube tray, each cube is about 1oz.

1 tablet milk thistle/silymarin with each meal.

This is NOT all I eat, I fit this in with other meals - - lots of veggies as was suggested by others.

The key is to get most of this consumed by midday!

hutchibk
08-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for your liver cleansing info, Chrisy... I have been looking for info like this~ you rock.

chrisy
08-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Oh, forgot - in the carrot salad, you can also add raisins or pineapple or blueberries to it.

DanaRT
08-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. I should use the juicer more than I do.

Dana