PDA

View Full Version : Need information about a surgical lung biopsy

Barbara H.
07-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi,
My CT scans have shown progressive inflammation since January. My oncologist has not been concerned but thought I should now see a pumonologist. I did today and it was recommended that I have a a surgical lung biopsy to determine exactly what is going on. This procedure requires a three day hospital stay.
Possible results:
lung mets: unlikely (no nodules)
inflammation (various causes) possible
inflammation from the Herceptin MCC DM 1 trial drug (This is most likely.)

I am very worried because this drug is really working for me and it is possible that I may need to go off the trial if it is causing this.

Also, I am interested in knowing about the recovery for this procedure. I need to set up my classroom and start school in September. I am also curious about how much pain is associated with this procedure.

I am leaving for Michigan on Friday to spend a week with my family and am quite unhappy about having this hanging over my head.

Best regards,
Barbara H.

Ceesun
07-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Barb, Is this an actual open surgical biopsy? I have had 2 needle biopsies of lung which sound scarier than they actually were. They were done as an outpatient and were not painful--collapsed lung was a concern, too...but not the norm. I suspect what you are describing might be different. Let me know if I can help with more info. Ceesun

Barbara H.
07-30-2008, 05:50 PM
They want to do an open surgical biopsy. I think they want to make sure they get enough tissue to determine if it is a reaction to the drug or general inflammation. I still have to meet with the surgeon and will know more then.
Thanks,
Barbara H.

madubois63
07-30-2008, 06:25 PM
I had VA (video assisted) biopsy of the lung twice. They go in through the back, take some pics (I have full color pics of my cancer - yuk) and snip what they need. You are asleep, so you don't feel anything for a while. It may be a little painful afterward, but it also depends on if you are in any pain now. I was experiencing fluid in the lung and having difficulty breathing at the time, so I was taking pain meds regularly. just ask, they will give you what you need. Make sure you tell the doc to have the orders there just in case. Don't worry too much and try to enjoy your trip. It's not as bad as you are imagining and you'll be fine in a few days!!

Joan M
07-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi Barbara, Sorry to hear that you need to have a biospy to figure out what's happening with your lung. I had a needle biospy and then video-assisted thoracic surgery to remove my nodule but there was not doubt after that biopsy that the nodule was malignant. Will you be having a VATS procedure for the biopsy? I understand the reasoning for the surgery as opposed to the biopsy. It's very hard to get a biopy with a definitive diagnosis from a small lesion. I went through all that. So I guess they want to get enough tissue to make a definitive diagnosis. I think it's really wonderful that that you are doing well on the trial. You are in my prayers. Joan