PDA

View Full Version : Surgery on Wednesday - Think good thoughts

rebecca0623
07-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Even though I have only been reading this message board for a few weeks it has helped my frame of mind tremendously to know there is support and no oneis alone in this. I was interested in the "stress" and the mindbody connection and have been trying to keep myself on an even keel at least until my surgery, path report (although I have the biopsy report) and staging. None of my friends have gone through this but everyone wants to tell me how their "cousin, aunt, friend of a friend" had breast cancer and it was all just fine. I understand their reasons for saying this but it feels like my fears are being dismissed.

That being said, my surgery is finally 2 days away and I am glad to get it over with but so worried about the results. I would appreciate your kind thoughts as I do believe that we gain from the positive energy of others. Thanks so much for the information you all contribute and for this forum.

Yorkiegirl
07-28-2008, 12:52 PM
prayer's going out for your surgery on Wednesday.

Chelee
07-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Rebecca, First of all I am so glad you found this board because I know it was the first thing that really helped me when I was first DX. I believe most of us felt the same way you are right now when we were DX. The first thing I heard from everyone I knew was about their aunt, uncle, brother, sister, long lost friend etc that had cancer and was doing great. (So I wasn't suppose to worry.) Ha! The stories I heard...I'm sure they all meant well but that didn't help me! Seriously the only thing that helped me at that time was this board. Everyone so "gets it" as we say here.

So I have a very good idea of how your feeling about now. Your fears are real and very normal. Your world has been turned upside down overnight and its frightening. (It was for me anyway.) All the unknowns. But that being said as hard as it is to believe now...you will get through this and we our here to help support you in any way possible. This is all so overwhelming when you first start. But try to just take one day at a time and not jump ahead. (Easier said then done!)

I know all this is so hard to deal with but you will get through this. (Don't let anyone dismiss your fears!) You are off to a great start just by posting here on this board. We will all be here for you every step of the way...you are not alone. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for your up coming surgery. You hang in there.

Chelee

Gerri
07-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Rebecca,

Hope all goes well with your upcoming surgery. Your fears are real, but try to keep them in check. It is always the fear of the unknown that we have a hard time dealing with. Once you get your results you will be able to move on to the next step.

Keep us posted.

Take care,

Patb
07-28-2008, 02:59 PM
I will be sending healing thoughts your way for your
surgery. I had lumpectomy two years ago and all
is well. Take care.
patb

Bill
07-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Rebecca! You will be in our thoughts and prayers, especially on Wednesday. Please keep us posted and feel free to talk about anything here. I'm sure you will do fine. There are so many of your sisters here that can help with any question you have. Peace to you, Bill

juanita
07-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Hope that all goes well with your surgery. I'll send positive thoughts your way on Wednesday.

Joan M
07-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Rebecca, I'm praying for an uneventful surgery and diagnosis. I had a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction. It's a little tough, but you'll come through just fine. You're young and strong and will recuperate well. Joan

Mary Jo
07-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi Rebecca,

I'm confident you will do well with your surgery. I pray for a good outcome for you.

We all "get it" here so you found a safe place. I'm so happy you have found us and we are very happy to encourage and support you as you begin your journey.

Asking God to hold you close and give you His peace and protection.

Hugs....

Mary Jo

Terri B
07-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Rebecca, good luck Wednesday.

It's okay to be afraid. This is your body, your surgery, and don't allow anyone to take this away from you. But know this: you will be fine... really.

What i wanted most of all before my surgery, was someone to just listen to me cry, and not try to cheer me up. I found that....... right here.

Take care, sister

lynnw
07-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Rebecca,
Just wanted to let you know that I can completely relate to how you're feeling, both your fears and the reaction of others who seem dismissive of those fears. I remember how scared I was prior to my mastectomy, not so much about the surgery or loss of my breast, but about learning the status of my nodes. I had neoadjuvant chemo and was hoping for a complete response. That wasn't the case; I had 8 positive nodes. I also remember searching for hopeful stories, and I'm happy that I can share with you that I am now more than four years out and doing great! Praise God!!

I'll be praying for you as you undergo surgery and get a more complete picture of what you're dealing with. We're all here for you. Please let us know, when you feel up to it, how you're doing.

Take care and God bless,
Lynn W

Jean
07-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Hi Rebecca,
I think the worst part is the waiting!
Try to keep this thought in mind...once your surgery is over you will be on the road to recovery.

Yes, there will be bumps in the road, but please know that your new family of sisters will be here to help you.

I think that when people hear about a dx. they are afraid and just don't know what to say and often times say the wrong things. All you want to hear at this point is, "I am sorry this has happened to you" or/and/
"I will be here to support you "....we have all heard some wrong things Rebecca and they hurt like heck. Try to close your mind off when around anyone saying the wrong things. Just know they do not understand that what they are saying is upsetting.

Set your mind on this thought: You will beat this, it will not beat you!
Knowledge is power. The more educated you become, the less frightening the unknown is....and yes some of the new information will worry you. But keep in mind you are now treating your bc and on the road to recovery.

Know you will be in my prayers for a speedy surgery with great results.
Please let us know how you are....sending you healing energy.

Hugs,
jean

Becky
07-29-2008, 03:32 AM
Dear Rebecca

This is another adventure on the road to survivorship. Surgery was the scariest part for me because it was the first time I was going to be put out (had C-section with an epidural). The surgery is not bad and at least you will know when you awaken that the cancer is GONE.

One step at a time and you'll be there.

Sheila
07-29-2008, 05:02 AM
Rebecca
You will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow...I think most of us dread surgery, its natural, but you are taking a necessary step to begin your healing from this disease....and one step closer to fighting this with all you have....like Jean said, knowledge is power, fill yourself, know everything you can, and take the lead at fighting this disease. We will all be there with you in spirit.
Sending you a big hug.