PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin Side Effects

Brenda S
07-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Hello All,
I've just completed my fourth round of Taxotere-Carboplatin-Herceptin. The side effects have ranged from mild-vomiting, to sever- fatigue and constipation. I have six rounds of this protocol scheduled and then 12 more rounds of Herceptin alone. What side effects might I expect from Herceptin when taken alone? When might I expect my hair to grow back? Thanks for any assistance. I wish you all the very best as we fight this hideous disease together. This site is such a wonderful resource and help!!

DanaRT
07-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi Brenda,
Your dx is similar to mine although I was not a canidate for mammosite radiation. I am now on Hercpetin and my hair is growing quickly. I just had my second of the "every 3 week" regime. I feel pretty good but my joints ache really bad when first standing. Mostly knees and ankles. One onc nurse told me it was a residual side effect from the taxotere and another said I may fall in to the 4% of patients who suffer from joint pain with Herceptin.

Keep up on the anti-nausea meds, Brenda. That really helped me through the big chemo. Orange Sherbert helped too-yum.
Drink tons of H2O...as you well know.

Dana

MJo
07-14-2008, 01:24 PM
It's been more than a year since my last Herceptin. I remember that three months after the last dose I began to feel better in general. Specifically, I was tired. I also had body aches. I had mild nausea and what I called the "herceptin cough." I would start coughing about 20 minutes into my infusion at the cancer center. The cough was more irritating than harmful. It went away once I was done with Herceptin.

Chelee
07-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Brenda, I did TCH also. I hate to hear your dealing with any vomiting at all. With the meds they have these days you shouldn't have to go through that. Please talk to your oncologist and tell him/her that your having this problem. They have emend, Zofran and others that work so well to control that. The nausea meds they have work great. You might need to ask for a different kind if yours isn't working fully. Just make sure you take them before your infusion and right away regardless if you feel like you will need it. If you stay on top of it you should be ok.

Now the fatigue and constipation I dealt with too. I used the senokot for the constipation...its the only thing that really worked for me. As to the fatigue...I gave into that and I did rest alot. You only have two more to go and this will be behind you. I thought my 5th and 6th infusion of TCH would be worse and it wasn't. I actually handled those better then the first few. Its like the body adjusts to it.

As to just doing the herceptin alone it is a piece of cake compared to taxotere and carbpotin. I did weekly herceptin to complete a full year and it was no problem at all. I was a little tired the day of infusion but that was it. Some sinus issues with running nose, slight headache once in a while...but other then that I felt pretty normal. You shouldn't have a problem with just the herceptin. As to your hair...I can't remember exactly when mine started coming back in? It was a slow process but it came back in once I finished the taxotere. So hang in there. It comes back faster then you would think. :)

Chelee