PDA

View Full Version : Surgery Tomorrow, Yikes!

Laurieanne
07-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Hi Everybody,
My surgery is tomorrow morning 7:45. Bilateral mastectomy with implant reconstruction. I'm starting to really freak out. Weepy, anxiety, scared to death. Any advise?
Laurie

TriciaK
07-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Our thoughts and prayers will be with you! Any surgery is scary, and I've had a lot so I am really empathising with you. I remember feeling exactly the same feelings you're feeling 23 years ago when I faced the surgery you are having tomorrow. It was more primitive, like silicone implants that later leaked. You'll have a couple of rough days, but you will be so glad it's over, and you'll be surprised how you'll be able to recover. Sometimes the dreading and anticipation is the hardest. The worst surgery I've had was a triple bypass 2 years ago---I'm still recovering from that. The worst part is that it was probably a waste, because 2 of the 3 coronary arteries are blocked again. I'm sure you will get posts from some of the warriors who have had this surgery more recently than I . You will be in all our prayers and thoughts all day tomorrow, and we will be anxious to hear a report from you. God bless! Tricia

CindyE
07-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Laurieanne,
I remember how scary the day before is for surgery. Do you have any pre-meds for anxiety? If so take one, I got some and took just one pill but it really helped me get over the starting-to-freak-out feeling. Take care and take heart knowing that all of us here are sending good thoughts and prayers for your surgery.

ElaineM
07-13-2008, 11:45 AM
I was scared every time I had surgery. It is normal and very human to be scared. If you weren't your docs would probably think something was wrong with you.
I am a bit of a control freak. I had some surgeries with general anethesia and some with only local anethesia, so I could see what was going on !! After awhile I learned to keep my mouth shut and just listen and watch during the ones with only local anethesia. I learned alot. Smile. I also recovered faster, because I didn't have to worry about a drug hangover and I could get back to normal faster. I realize that method is not for everybody.
Ask God to guide and protect you through your experience. Ask God to help your docs to do their best. Take good care of yourself after the surgery and get well quickly. Everyone here is cheering for you.

Becky
07-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Good luck tomorrow. Its scary, especially if you really haven't had many/any surgeries before but you will do just fine.

And remember, once done, you will not have any evidence of disease and that nasty tumor that started all the trouble will not be in your body any longer.

By this time tomorrow, it will all be over and you will be able to begin healing and back on the road to perfect health.

Hugs and kisses

Jackie07
07-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Is there a weekend clinic available in your area? You might want to talk to a pharmacist if there's no other medical professionals available in town.

I remember the reaction I had 18 years ago when it was close to my scheduled brain surgery. They were similar to yours.

Do you have family with you? Are there friends or hospital volunteers available?

It's more scary if there's no nearby support available. Do remember that we are all here praying and rooting for you.

Laurieanne
07-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Hey Jackie,

I do have family and friends around, and they are great!
Also have anxiety meds that I haven't needed until today, but I did take one and do feel a little better.

Just can't wait to be over this first step. I'm not usually such a baby, but this is tough.

Laurie

Jackie07
07-13-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm so glad you are feeling better. It is hard to adjust our roles from a capable adult to a 'helpless patient'.

The anxiety is real. I still remember the teary eyes of my oldest brother when I was wheeled into the surgical ward 18 years ago. The side effects listed for my craniotomy included: 1. Death 2. Coma 3. Left-side paralysis. 4. Cognitive defect....

18 years later, I am still here - added some pink ribbons to my shirt and made more friends all over the world.

Draw your strenths from your own experience also. Know that you can do this. Take your pill when in need.

And know that we are all here for you...

chrisy
07-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Laurie,

Think of it this way: you have cells in your body that have misbehaved and tomorrow morning you are going to have that threat removed.
Also, when you arrive in the morning, if you still feel anxious, ask them to give you something for it.

It's important to have your family and friends around you at this time. Here's a nice ritual you might want to do tonight, it's totally self indulgent and will probably make you weepy but in a good way:

Gather all your friends around you in a circle, each with an unlit candle. One at a time, have them say a little prayer or a blessing or something about how much they love you, while lighting their candle. Have them surround you with this love and strength and carry that with you tomorrow. Then ask them to repeat their prayer for you in the morning, at the time you are headed for surgery.

When I had my surgery, I asked everyone to send me positive loving vibes at the moment my surgery was scheduled to begin. As it was, I was still waiting around at that time but I FELT this jolt of love hit me right at that time. I wasn't really thinking about it, and I got this I don't know, energy surge right in my chest. I remember thinking "wow, that was weird", then I looked at the clock and it was the moment I was supposed to be in surgery. I swear this really happened! And I wasn't on any meds at the time, either.

So take that for what it's worth, I'll be sending my love for you tomorrow.

much love
Chris

dhealey
07-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Good luck tomorrow. May God be watching over you during your surgery and recovery period. Best wishes!

lexigirl
07-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Laurianne,

I wish you the best on your surgery tomorrow. Saying a prayer for your anxiety and for an uncomplicated surgery.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

Bill
07-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Laurieanne, you've gotten some great advice from your sisters here. I can only add that you will be in my thoughts and prayers, especially tomorrow. Please sleep well tonight and know that we are with you.

juanita
07-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Good luck tomorrow!

Joan M
07-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Laurie,

Good luck tomorrow with the surgery.

I'm praying for a speedy recovery.

Best, Joan

G. Ann
07-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi Laurie,
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope you have a quick recovery and keep us posted. I'm very interested in hearing how you're doing.

Jean
07-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi Laurie,
Of course you have all those feelings that make you feel
upside down, it is only natural.

Try to relax (easier said than done) have confidence that you are ridding body of those nasty cells. I hope
your healing is fast and that you will relax after your surgery. The hardest part of this journey is the first
step. Pleae know you are not alone.

Hugs and Prayers being sent to you.
jean

Mary Jo
07-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Laurie,

You said "I'm normally not such a baby!" Oh my gosh honey, you surely aren't a baby. You are strong and brave. You are about to encounter a surgery that will start you on the path to recovery and healing - that dear sister makes you one strong, brave woman.

As the others have said......any surgery is frightening and "cancer" surgery makes it even more frightening because you are dealing with that big "C" word BUT as the others have said to you also - having this surgery is wiping this nasty stuff RIGHT OUT OF YOUR BODY.

So dear sister - you are awesome, brave and strong. You are "taking care of business" and all will be well.

God is with you......He will continue to give you all you need to move forward.

Prayers surround you dear sister,

Mary Jo

caya
07-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Good luck tomorrow Laurie. Your tumour will be gone and you'll be on your way to a speedy recovery. Try to take it easy, and keep ativan nearby. You will be fine.

all the best
caya

jones7676
07-13-2008, 08:34 PM
I can't offer any advice that hasn't already been given...just wishin' you luck and I hope you heal quickly.

harrie
07-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi Laurie,
I also had a bilat mastectomy with reconstruction. This was done Nov 2006. It was a very involved surgery, but I was in good hands and everything single thing went well.
Please know you are not alone and have many wonderful good thoughts sent right to you from all of us.
I truely believe in the power of thoughts and prayers.
Have faith that you are in excellent hands and have a great support around you (us at HER2)....you will do fine.
Much love and hugs....
Maryanne

lilyecuadorian
07-13-2008, 09:44 PM
good luck !!

Laurieanne
07-14-2008, 02:34 AM
Thank you to everyone,
It's 5:30 and I'm off to the hospital!

Have a great day!
Laurie

christie
07-14-2008, 09:23 AM
dear Laurie,

i hope your surgery went well. the new advancement in medical technology and surgery procedures , things are not so bad, i had my mastectomy last month, i do feel as if i had a flu and i am out of it. things have been made very comfortable. but the journey is long.... you have to be strong, you have taken the first step.

God bless you
christie

Sheila
07-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Laurieanne
Sorry this is late but sending lots of healing wishes for a quick and painless recovery...take care and don't push yourself....the first step toward healing is over....sending a big hug.

Laurieanne
07-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi Guys,
Thank you so much for all your support. My surgery went well and I am home resting. I'm pretty sore but doing quite well. Your good wishes and prayers have helped me so much.
I'm sure I'll be leaning on you in the future. You guys are the best!
Love, Laurie

harrie
07-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Great news Laurieanne!
Rest up, recuperate, and before you know it you will be as good as new...or maybe even better then before!
HarrieCanarie

Jackie07
07-17-2008, 09:14 AM
(For Gal's eyes only)

Look at Maryanne, and you know you will look (and feel) better than before!

(I am just being sour :) since I'm still flat-chested just like I used to. I am still wearing all my old bras which are padded.

hutchibk
07-17-2008, 09:19 AM
God's speed - heal fast! You will be good as new, or good as what we call 'new-normal' - LOL. Take care and let us know how you are doing!