PDA

View Full Version : Could a cyst be mets to my liver??

swimangel72
06-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone - I really need to pick your brains! I'm worried that a liver cyst could be BC mets, yikes!

I had a cat scan done on June 6 to rule out an abdominal hernia following my Diep surgery back in March. No hernia, thank God and now I finally got a copy of the report. Neither my primary doctor nor my plastic surgeon told me that my liver showed a "1.5 cm hypodensity in the right lobe of the liver measuring 15 Hounsfield units likely representing a cyst". I'll be sending a copy of this report to my new oncologist - (funny that my primary never suggested that I give him a copy.) So often I feel like I'm falling-through-the-cracks with my doctors and I really have to constantly advocate for myself! http://community.breastcancer.org/javascripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-yell.gif

So of couse now I'm worried about mets............I've haven't had any tumor markers done yet but I have had symptoms of liver problems prior to my dx........especially a pain under my right rib cage that the doctors attributed to a gallstone. But when I researched online about liver cysts, it says they can cause pain, but most liver cysts are benign unless another underlying disease is present (like breast cancer??)

My question to you ladies is should I be worried about mets to my liver already? What tests should my onc perform to rule out mets? Has anyone else had a liver cyst show up on a cat scan which turned out to be nothing? I'm feeling quite anxious now AND upset that my doctors didn't mention ANYTHING to me about this.........what do they think, that I'm NOT going to get a copy of my reports - that I'm NOT going to ask questions?? Or are they so narrowly focused on one thing and one thing only (abdominal hernia) that they don't carefully read the report? The least they both should have done is mentioned the liver thing to me and reassured me it's nothing to worry about.

So here I am, nearly a month later, trying hard not to worry - trying hard to put on a normal happy face for the family - with no one to talk to about my fears except you dear ladies. Thank you all for your helpful advice!

BonnieR
06-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Kathy, I can't answer your questions but wanted to offer support and empathy. I share your feeling of "falling through the cracks". I sometimes don't know which doctor is responsible for what follow up. I feel I have to be so vigilant.
Hopefully, with time all of this will settle down. But, meanwhile, you are right. We need to be our own advocates. Wouldn't it be nice to have a "project manager"?
Keep the faith. And keep us posted.

Barbara H.
06-28-2008, 12:52 PM
HI Kathy,
I am certainly not competent to give you information about this cyst. However, my oncologist has told me that it is common for CT scans to show findings that appear serious to us but are not. These tests are so accurate that they pick up all kinds of things. (even in people who walk in off the street) The greatest problem is that these scans are not always so easy to read, and different radiologists can give different interpretations, or not catch issues, due to the amount of scans they look at in a day. This does not mean to criticize
them. Think about how difficult it can be to proofread multiple works of writing.

Therefore, it is in your interest to request an explanation of these scans. In addition, you could request to have your tumor markers done. They have been accurate for me, but are not for many cancer patients. As a result, many oncologists are more trusting of the scans.

Best wishes, and try not to worry until you are able to speak with your doctor.

Barbara H.

StephN
06-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi -
I am sure that if this spot had the hallmarks of a small tumor you would have heard about it. The radiologists are normally quite good about alerting a doctor of anything suspicious or need further looking at.

In my case I have had very serious and numerous liver mets. Once I became NED, there were still a couple of those liver "hypodensities" that would show up on my scans. They seemed to be able to tell that these were not any new or recurrant cancer.

There is something called a hemangioma that can show up in various organs and the radiologists can tell those from tumors.

Put in a call to the doc or nurse to voice your concern, but I think you are most likely all right. http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon12.gif

Mary Jo
06-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi Kathy,

I just wanted to put your mind at rest. When I had an abdominal CT scan last Oct. (G.I. related CT) a cyst was also found in my liver. When the G.I. doc mentioned it she flippantly said "and a liver cyst." I'm like ..."WHAT A LIVER CYST - I HAD BREAST CANCER - IT'S PROBABLY A TUMOR." She very kindly put my mind at rest and read the report and said, it is a cyst and the radioligists can tell the difference. Well, me being me I called my oncs. office and asked them to check - again - they were not concerned and said it was a cyst. When I just recently went in for my 6 month onc. check up - my blood work and liver enzyme tests were all perfect. My onc. then read the report again and said I had nothing to fear. It was not a met. but a cyst. I was also told from the G.I. doc and my onc. that liver cysts are quite common and many people have them.

I hope this helps put your mind at ease.

God's Peace surround you Kathy,

Mary Jo

goops
06-28-2008, 03:24 PM
After my mastectomy they ran a CT on me to look for mets. It showed two liver cysts. My original oncologist told me that it may be nothing or that it may be cancer and that they would just re-check it later. When I was going to start radiation the radiation oncologist said that there would be not reason to give me radiation if I had mets in the liver - he wanted to find out for sure what it was. They sent me for a pet scan and the pet scan showed that it was nothing to worry about. To set your mind at ease I suggest you request a pet scan, a pet scan will also show if you have cancer in other areas of your body as well.

I hope your tests will come back benign as well, my oncologist told me that one of the problems with CT's is that they show to much and often cause needless worry - good luck and try not to worry.

Joan M
06-28-2008, 04:28 PM
In July 2005, about two years after my mastectomy, a CT scan showed a hypodense nodule in the liver. A follow-up MRI identified it as focal fatty tissue (or fatty liver).

Does the CT scan report suggest a follow-up study. They often do.

swimangel72
06-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Thank you all so very much! You've really put my mind at ease (and helped me to stop being so angry!)

Joan the last words of my cat scan report say, "Clinical correlation recommended" - this was concerning the abdominal wall deformity (bulge) due to my surgery - nothing at all about the gall stones or the hepatic cyst. Still I'll be bringing this report to my new onc - the last time we spoke, he said he likes Pet scans, so perhaps he'll order one for me.

My liver has been a big question mark for a long time ever since I had such high enzymes while in the hospital for staph. The gastro doctor said they were high due to all the antibiotics and pain meds I was on - but even my last blood work showed the enzymes were still on the high side. So reading about the cyst just got me a bit worked up. I feel much better now - and will let you know what the onc says next week.

Thanks again sweet ladies - you are all my heroic angels!

harrie
06-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Kathy, before my oophorectomy, I had a CAT scan done of my abdominal area and my liver also showed a cyst. Very benign, was nothing to worry about.

swimangel72
06-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks Harrie! I spoke with my PS today and both he and his nurse said the same thing, it's nothing to worry about, so I feel very much relieved. Still I'll be bringing the cat scan report to my oncologist so he has it for his records. Thanks again everyone for calming my nerves!

harrie
06-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Yes Kathy, nothing like this support group. It has given me reassurances many times!
....so BIG EXHALE.....and sleep good tonight...

harrie
06-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Oh yea....and isn't this one time we just love hearing that it is FAT!!!! LOL!!!

harrie
06-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Ok everyone...pray that I have a green thumb so my cherry tomatoes dont turn into one BIG JOKE!!!

swimangel72
07-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Thanks Harrie - and I'm doing an old native American "cherry tomato growth dance" which will guarantee that you will be blessed with overflowing tomatoes - so much so that your friends and neighbors will be overcome by your generosity and will hide when you show up with yet another free bag of your home grown, salmonella-free produce!

Mary Jo
07-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Yahoo Kathy that all is well with you and your liver. Doing the happy dance and thanking God.

As for you Harriecarrie.....asking God to make that thumb of yours GREEN. Hope you have tons of little tomatershttp://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif I'm growing a tomato plant too. Only one because I am the only one who eats them. So far I have about 6 little "baby" 'maters growing.

Love to you guys,

Mary Jo

loveher
07-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi Kathy
i just wanted to tell you that my mom had a 1cm nodule on her liver and i was immediately sent into a panick thinking of every possible bad outcome but it's been about 4/5 years now mom's going strong and it never showed up on her scans again.

sooo yea be very vigilant get all the tests and scans neccessary but try stay calm and positive even if your crazy like me lol. best wishes to you and your family

Sherryg683
07-05-2008, 06:51 PM
I have 2 of those liver hypodensities that I have had from the start. They were watched closely the first year. They showed on the PET scan but never lit up. After 2 years of scans they have never changed or lit up and an ultrasound said they were hymangiomas. They are fairly common...ask for a PET scan to see if they have any intake..sherryg683

swimangel72
07-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks ladies! The good news is that my new oncologist does perform Pet scans - I brought in the cat scan report so when I see him next Wednesday I'll be sure to ask him what he thinks. The other good news is that his office is only 2 miles down the road from my house - certainly beats driving 45 minutes back and forth to my old onc's office. My new infusion nurses are all dolls - so I'm happy I made the change!