PDA

View Full Version : Surgery/MCC-DM1 trial

Joan M
06-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Just want to update you on what's going on with treating my lung tumor.

I've gathered all the information and when my onc comes back from vacation on July 7, Ill discuss it with her and then make a decision.

It seems to be between doing surgery or the MCC-DM1 trial (if the trial is available to me).

I met today with the surgeon at Sloan-Kettering. She said that if I wanted, she would do the surgery. But she suggested trying chemo first, based on the medical onc's recommentation, and that I could always do the surgery if the chemo wasn't working.

She would do a lobectomy of the left lung. The surgeon said that a fairly large wedge had already been taken and that a lobectomy would not be that much more and be a lot more effective than another wedge. The idea of a lobectomy kind of frightened me. I was thinking, what if the cancer spreads to my right lung, then I don't have a lot of lung left to breathe.

Tomorrow I'm going to call the MCC-DM1 trial study doctor and find out whether it's still open and how it works. I'm a little confused about that from reading the protocol.

The trial information is on the MSKCC website.

It's not an easy decision. There are good arguments on both sides, which some of you ladies have pointed out.

Faith in Him
06-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi Joan,

It sound like your surgeon is really supportive. I will be praying for you as you go through this decision making process.

Hugs,
Tonya

vickie h
06-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Joan,
You are in my prayers. Love, Vickie