PDA

View Full Version : Cloths

notamrnpsn
06-25-2008, 07:28 AM
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I will try anyway. I have just had my second mastectomy and am wondering what type of tops all you ladies wear? Do you just wear your regular clothes? If I do that I look like I am pregnant. I have not looked into getting my prothesis yet as I still have my staples in. Thanks for any info you can give me. Hugs and Blessings , Jeanette

SoCalGal
06-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi-
Throughout my various post surgery periods I usually wore a special compression wrap/bra and then graduated to a sports bra with a "wife beater" tank top and then either a menswear shirt layered over or a little crop sweater layered over. Until I could wear a bra that gave me shape I layered. The top layer was always unbuttoned/open both for comfort (style) and the camouflage effect.

Once you can wear your prosthetic- I imagine that you will feel better.

Hang in there. It takes at least a year of dressing to figure out which fashions work best and feel best on you!
Flori

chrisy
06-25-2008, 08:52 AM
My problem was slightly different as I only had one side "done" - so I was lopsided. Once I could wear a bra I put a sock or a nice soft shoulder pad (knew they were good for something!) in the empty side. I also wore layers and a lot of highly patterned (like aloha) shirts, which distracted people from seeing things were unbalanced.

PinkGirl
06-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Hi Not
I had one breast removed and now wear a prostetic.
Before I was able to wear it, I wore loose t-shirts and
a light weight vest over top. I left the vest "open".

There are some very light weight "forms" you can use
before you graduate to the real deal. I call them
powder puffs. Or you can try Chrisy's method and use
socks or shoulder pads.

You have to experiment with clothes and find what
works for you. It won't be long before you can wear
prostetics and you will be surprised at how "normal"
you will look. Good luck with all of this.

Mgarr
06-25-2008, 02:24 PM
You can also call the American Cancer Society and they will usually get a "softie" out to you until you get your prosthesis.

Mary

DonnaD
06-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Jeanette,
Just wanted to pop in and wish you well on your recovery.

You might find more help if you posted on the Her2group instead of the Keeping your Mind off BC section. Lots visit the Her2group and I am sure you will get more responses.

Good luck to you and God Bless.
Donna