PDA

View Full Version : Side Effects for Alimta and Avastin

tdonnelly
06-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Can anyone share their experiences with Alimta (Lilly) and Avastin (Genetech) and Taxol.

I have read online info for each; but as we all know with Herceptin and Taxol those statistics and info are frightening for first time users.

My aunt's cancer (Lymphoma has spread to liver/lung/kidney.) We were looking into Cancer Centers of America- but too far from her home.

Her new tx requires special permission to use Alimta with Avastin and Taxol. She is in her seventies with only one working kidney. I am nervous for her; but she wants to go on in her tx.

Any info and prayers would be appreciated.

Tamara
Invasive Ductal Carcinoma 10/2006 HER2+

tdonnelly
06-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Joe & Christine,
Any suggestions ?
Tamara

chrisy
06-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Hi Tamara,
It may be tough to find data on those 3 in combination. I read the info on Alimta as I had never heard of that. As it does specifically mention kidney as an area of concern I can see why YOU're concerned. However, I did not look deeply into the statistics, so obviously you'd want to find out exactly what the risks are on that end. Most chemos are hard on the liver because they are processed in the liver. But although the liver is working very hard, it is a very tough organ, especially if the cancer is not too widespread there.

I've taken Taxol and Avastin, but not together. Neither of these affected my liver or kidney functions. The Taxol of course is not an easy chemo, it's tough on the red and white blood cell counts but these can be supported. Avastin's main side effect is elevating blood pressure, which also can be controlled. Sheila had Avastin + Taxol + Herceptin. And there is a lot of data with combinations of Avastin and a taxane, so it can be done.

What does your mom's oncologist say? Who is recommending this combination? Sounds like your mom has some fight in her, for sure.

Sorry I can't be of more help...but I will send prayers and that actually is not a small thing.

tdonnelly
06-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi Chrisy,
Thank you for info. She starts first tx on Friday but has agreed to see my group of doctors for a second opinion. I feel confident my doctors can oversee what this is all about. I dont think one should allow one doctor sole control over healthcare for this disease. We all need checks and balances with so much uncertainty regarding cancer. Prayer circles are a beautiful thing. I will continue to share any info learned on this thread.
Tamara

tdonnelly
07-06-2008, 03:31 PM
My Aunt received her first small dose of Alimta & Avastin(This dr got her ok from Medical Board for another experiment on my Aunt) She is 77 y.o, already tried trial for Gencitobean ? . Didnt work. My grandma died of congestive heart failure and grandfather-stroke. Prior to cancer dx she had two knee replacements. Chemo already has caused her to have a serious fall-black eye/head trauma/breaking her glasses, injuring her arm. Her cancer was Stage 4 dx-10/2006 along with me. I told her to tell dr NO TO TAXOL-the painful nerve damage/permanent would put her in a wheel chair within a week.

No one wants to lose a love one, but WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE DOCTORS THINKING WHEN THEY PUT SENIOR CITIZENS THROUGH ALL THIS EXPERIMENTATION-IF THIS DOCTOR HAD ANY COMMON SENSE AND MEDICAL ETHICS SHE WOULD QUIETLY EXPLAIN THAT QUALITY OF LIFE AT THIS POINT IS MORE IMPORTANT. MY AUNT IS SCARED AND VERY WEAK SINCE THIS INFUSION-INSISTS ON DRIVING AND WORKING 2 DAYS A WEEK. HER EMPLOYER WHO IS SUPPOSE TO ACCOMMODATE HER TO WORK LESS HOURS HAD HER PUT IN AN 8 HR DAY.

Thank God I don't have high blood pressure but when I heard what this foreign doctor is doing and thinks no one is aware hasn't met me yet. I am not prejudice, but what happened to compassion in Medicine?

Ok thanks again.
Tamara

tdonnelly
07-10-2008, 06:17 PM
My Aunt is experiencing much congestion in her lungs since receiving her first treatment. Is this normal for these drugs? She is very fatigued and weak. We had a nice lunch today, she said she can feel change in her personality since also.
Tamara

Mary Anne in TX
07-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Oh, Tamara, all I can do is pray for you both! Such difficult decisions at any time, but maybe more so for her situation & health. But, we all fight our battles in different ways. My mom fought for her last breath. I don't know what I would do with this for myself, but I pray you both find some peace in the decisions made. ma

Jackie07
07-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Am I understanding correctly that your Aunt is working 2 full days a week right now? She might have needed to do that for insurance's sake. I am pretty sure though that it is completely up to her whether or not to go back to work. According to American with Disability Act (or even before the Act), she can keep her job for a year while undergoing treatment.

My Mother had lymphoma in her early 70's. She found it pretty early with no organ involvement. She was frightened with chemo but went through it with lots, lots of complaints. She is celebrating her 85th birthday this summer.

flynny
07-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Hi Tamara,

My mother was on Alimta and Depocyt. Alimta is primarily used for lung cancer tx, however oncs are looking into what it can do for met BC. My mother had brain mets (leptomeningeal cancer). Everything was very experiemental. Alimta made my mother VERY tired and she had a lot of redness in her face and arms for the first few days. I think it did a number on her body, personally. I believe she had 4 tx of alimta.

tdonnelly
07-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I appreciate all comments/info. I respect my Aunt's wishes for a longer life but am not at Peace with the decisions she has made with her treatments. Rightfully so.

When her brother(my Dad) was Stage 4 Chirosis (?) of the liver we witnessed the inhumane, unethical decisions of his VA Doctors while under their care. He was only 56 at the time but was not of sound mind and body when he signed up for their Experimental Procedures-nightmare from Hell !
At the time of his death, the VA Doctors only seemed interested in the 200+page documentation of his Medical Care received at Christ Advocate during his release from the Maywood,IL VA Hospital- 12/1988

I do not want my Aunt to endure the same pain and discomfort so that her Oncologist can make a name for herself with this so-called new Trial for Cancer.

Her brother and his wife live out-of-state most of the year and are not familiar with chemo & side effects as we are. His only question to the Doctor is how much longer does she have to live? Coming from a man who himself just had a triple bypass should be counting his own blessings and taking better Care of His Sister. I don't even talk to the two of them. I am her oldest niece living nearby and am doing my best to oversee her care and take care of my own cancer. When you have Dysfunction within the family and No Communication; its terrible.

I witnessed just the other day an older man (70's+) crying in pain, waiting to see the Onc. for yet another treatment. Everyone around him including his own family and medical staff treated it all very non-chalant. Seniors are the most vulnerable with Cancer.

Tamara

tdonnelly
07-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Cyle 1- July 1,2008 Side Effects: Painful kidney & vaginal infection (Creme and antibiotic prescribed) Lasted about 5 days. Appetite good.
Platelets went way down but as of today back on track.
Tumor markers down. Was encouraged by her Primary for hospital stay 4-5 days to increase dosege amt. Due to our family history of heart disease I encouraged her not to increase dosage. She was too weak/frail after (1) low dose. Too-experimental at this time.
Brain Capillary leak (2 veins prominent on left side-temple)
Dosage amount of each unknown-told its lowest possible dose for her age/health. 2 premeds also given.
2 hr infustion at dr's office. @ 21 days.

Next cycle: July 25,2008

Any info. or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You
Tamara