PDA

View Full Version : weddings and surgery

rinaina
06-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Been lurking on and off but haven't written in quite a while. My daughter's wedding is July 5 and it has all but consumed all of us! In 2 weeks I will be the mother of the bride for the very first time and I am filled with such pride and joy. It is so nice to have something so wonderful happening in our lives. This has been an interesting year. I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism and will be having surgery the Friday following the wedding, July11. I will have to be hospitalized overnight at a minimum because they will need to monitor my calcium levels as well as my kidneys. I have already had some kidney disfunction due to this condition. The prognosis is good thank goodness. My husband suffered a major silent heart attack on April 24, (following a difficult tax season for him, he is a CPA), but also thank goodness he is doing very well. He is 58 and in great shape. He works out 5 -6 days a week and is not overweight. Go figure. Genetics was what worked against him. His father died at 45 of a major heart attack. He is probably the last person anyone ever expected to have heart attack. I am writing this to all of you to let you know that he had no symptoms other then a little bit of heart burn, so please, do not take any symptom lightly, no matter how incidental it may seem.
On the breast cancer front, I had my check up with my oncologist and all is great. That is the kind of news I love to hear. Oh by the way, my surgeon agrees. My breast surgeon also specializes in parathyroid and thyroid surgery so I didn't have to look to far for an expert in that field...woo hoo! Well now that you are updated, I will be in contact as soon as I can after surgery but in the meantime keep me in your prayers please.
Rina

G. Ann
06-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Rina,
Wishing you, the mother of the bride, a peace-filled and joyous day. Weddings are so hectic and crazy making. I'm sure everything is in place and you'll weather any unexpected events. You and your husband share the blessing of walking your daughter down the aisle. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

I had thyroid surgery in 1989 for precancer and then was blessed to have the same surgeon in 2004 for mastectomy. Thyroid surgery was pretty easy and no problems since.

Wishing you happy wedding & quick recovery.

rinaina
06-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Actually G Ann, my surgery is parathyroid not thyroid. Thank you for your wishes.

Liz J.
06-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi Rina,

First off, Congrats on the upcoming wedding. I know what you are experiencing as my only sister will be mother of the bride in a few months. I am only the Aunt and Godmother and I know how hectic it is. I will say some extra prayers for you as you have your surgery, but all will be OK. Enjoy the wedding day. You have earned it.

Sincerely,

Liz J.

rinaina
06-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks Liz for your congrats and prayers.
Rina

caya
06-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Mazel Tov Rina on the forthcoming marriage of your daughter. I'm sure it has been a hectic time, but "good" hectic.

I hope your surgery on the 11th goes well. Take care of yourself and your DH.

all the best
caya

rinaina
06-23-2008, 05:20 AM
Caya, you are so right about this being a busy time but I welcome this type of busy anyday. It has been a lot of fun planning this wedding despite our unfortunate interruptions. As long as everyone stays well, that is all that matters. Thanks for your Mazel Tov. Hope all is well with you.
Rina

Jean
06-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi there and welcome back!
You have been missed. I have been thinking of you.
Well, Mother of the bride....how wonderful enjoy your special day...please post a picutre of you and the bride.

Sorry to hear you will need surgery and I hope you have a speedy recovery. Also very sorry to hear about your
husband...:( Taxes - they are nasty to everyone, stress
to the accountants and their clients.

Hugs,
Jean

rinaina
06-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks Jean for the welcome and for your kind words. I know it can be worriesome when a member disappears for awhile. Life just gets in the way sometimes but I check in every now and then. Hope all is well with you. Things have definitely been interesting to say the least here. We have had the good, (the wedding planning), the bad, (a new diagnosis requiring surgery for me), and the ugly, (my husband's heart attack), which was the same exact one that Tim Russertt just dies from. Scary stuff! Thank God for this wedding to keep us in a happy state. Be well and thanks again
Rina

jones7676
06-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Sorry to hear your bad news and glad to hear the good. I hope the wedding (which can be very stressful for the mom) and your surgery both go well.

rinaina
06-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Thank you Barb for your thoughts and wishes.

Sheila
06-24-2008, 04:42 AM
Rina
We missed you last month.....I think you were on vacation....the old saying when it rains it pours....you can attest to that....sending prayers that your surgery will be uneventful and successful....also so sorry to hear about your husbands medical problems, (and we thought that taxes only stressed us)....hoping a sppedy recovery for him as well, and health in the future, and oh how busy you must bee with the wedding...I remember when my daughter was married...seems like everything falls on the mother of the brides shoulders....take care of yourself Rina, you need your strength for the surgery, can't wait till we are having a giant salad in Oakbrook again!!!! Sending love and prayers....you will be a beautiful mother of the bride!!!!

rinaina
06-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks Sheila for your lovely reply. My husbands heart attack preempted our after tax season vacation this year as it happened two days before we were to leave. Vacation Smation.....at least I have him with me still and that out weighs importance of any vacation. His heart attack was the same kind that Tim Russett suffered so we feel blessed and thankful he pulled through. Someone was watching over him for sure. Look forward to another get together after the wedding...one week to go!