PDA

View Full Version : Sad News-Jane McGrath

Belinda
06-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Jane McGrath was well known here in Australia, especially to Australian women with BC. She was an extraordinary young English woman who fell in love with and married an Australian Cricket legend, Glen McGrath.

Jane passed away today. She was 42, with a young family. She was initially diagnosed at 31, then had recurrences in hip and brain in 2006, at which time she found she was HER2. Her death is said to be due to post-surgery complications and a sudden decline in the past week.

This is such terrible news for her family, and for the tens of thousands of Australian women for whom she has been a public and glowing beacon of hope.

Jane and Glen established the McGrath foundation, which raises funds for BC and especially funding for breast care nurses.

A newspaper article can be found here:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23903586-421,00.html

and you can see her on an Australain interview program here:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/transcripts/s1115161.htm

Such sad and devastating news.

Bx

kcherub
06-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Belinda,

I actually just read about her death on another site and was coming here to see if anything was posted. What a hopeful family, and what a sad loss. I know that their foundation (I checked out the website) has and will help so many women. What a wonderful legacy...

I wondered what her initial diagnosis was, and whether or not she was HER2+. I know we all do a lot of "what ifs" around here (and out here)...did she ever receive Herceptin?

Take care,

Becky
06-22-2008, 08:20 AM
She may have received Herceptin when she recurred but she could not have received Herceptin when diagnosed as it was prior to November, 1998 when Herceptin was FDA approved for metastatic disease in the USA (the first country to approve it). Herceptin is re-writing the Her2+ bc prognosis. Jane's recurrence after almost 10 yrs is rare and not the norm.

Do not be preoccupied by the injustice of such a recurrence as this and look forward.

PinkGirl
06-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi Belinda

It is so difficult for a country to lose the kind of inspiring
role model that Jane McGrath was.

I am very sorry for your loss.

lexigirl
06-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Such sad news. She looked to have a very sweet spirit about her. Praying for her family.

Lexi

ElaineM
06-22-2008, 09:04 PM
I am so sorry to hear the sad news. My sympathies to her family and friends.

Andrea Barnett Budin
06-23-2008, 04:49 PM
I understand. It is hard not to identify. It is a tragic loss for so many.

When Dana, Christopher Reeve's suddenly died of lung cancer, I immediately called my dear friend in Chicago. She is now 4 yrs out from her initial lung dx. I told her, I know what you are thinking, but don't go there. This was an unusual and catastrophic experience. Of course she tried her best but inexplicably such shocking things can occur. To anyone, at any time.

I pray Belinda that you and those who have admired Jane so throughout the years will make peace with this sad turn of events. I send my deepest condolences. Our heroes and sheroes mean the world to us. Sending love and hugs,
Andi

Roz
06-24-2008, 08:19 PM
We are all feeling sad after Jane's death. It brings death so much closer to us as individuals. Becky, Jane was diagnosed in 1997, but did not have a recurrence until 2002. She and her well known husband appeared on a popular chat show in 2004 (I think that was the year) and she came across as a warm, funny and courageous person, as did her husband. Her funeral is today, and $200,000 have been donated by the Australian public to her foundation since her death last week. I fel very sad for all her loved ones and for her death at such a young age.