PDA

View Full Version : New cancer found in remaining breast

Val Pfeiffer
06-21-2008, 10:03 AM
hey guys--
I know the odds were supposed to be higher that I'd end up with cancer elsewhere in my body than the odds were that I'd find cancer in my remaining breast, but I guess the odds aren't always correct! The good news is that this time it's a very early stage, so when I have the mastectomy this time, I probably won't need to follow up with chemo or radiation. I don't know yet whether it's Her2+ yet, so I'm not sure what I will decide about the quarterly herceptin I've been taking. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

More details are on my blog (including the pathology; see the "All About Me" column at the right of the page)...here's the address to my blog:

http://journals.aol.com/valleygirlvnp/BreastCancerUpdates/

Val

dhealey
06-21-2008, 10:09 AM
That sucks! But good it was found early. Best of luck with your up coming surgery and praying you have a speedy recovery.

StephN
06-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Darn sneaky devil of a disease! Another example of why surveillance is mandatory. All positive thoughts that this is the only site.

Are you sure that surgery is the way to go and not some other treatment?

Will check your blog to see the rest of the story.

Val Pfeiffer
06-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks, Steph :-) Once you read the rest of the story, you'll understand why surgery is the only option. In fact, after all the hassle of having the biopsy, I was ready to do this even if the biopsy was negative. Anyway, the cells were found throughout the entire biopsy sample. And besides, a biopsy sample taken from an incredibly small breast leaves it sorta funny looking...so yes, the breast has gotta go!!

Val

tricia keegan
06-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Val

Just wanted to tell you I'm sorry you're facing this again although given the choice I suppose if it's going to return it's far preferable in the other breast than elsewhere in the body.
Just wanted to wish you well with the surgery and glad it looks like that's all you have to face this time. (as if that was'nt enough!)

Becky
06-21-2008, 06:11 PM
ahh Val. I'm so sorry. Stay strong dear girl. I'm thinking of you. I'm glad you nabbed this one early.

Love and hugs

sassy
06-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Val,

Sorry you have to go thru this, but glad that you have found it early. Good for you for being diligent.

Good to hear from you, but sorry this is the reason.

G. Ann
06-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi Val,
Sorry you're dealing with BC for remaining breast. I totally agree with you about getting the breast removed. Please keep us updated on your surgery and findings. I'll be praying one more surgery and that's it!

kareneg
06-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Val,

I am so sorry you have to deal with this again. sending you all my love and prayers

Liz J.
06-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi Val,

I am sorry that you had to go through this. I am sending all good wishes your way.

Sincerely,

Liz J.

TSund
06-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Val,

Tis a drag that you need to hassle with this but I"m glad that the prognosis looks good and you seem to have a great attitude.

Sometime when you have time I'm curious about your quarterly Herceptin; perhpas could you share some info on that when your current stuff is dealt with.

Best to you,

Terri

Val Pfeiffer
06-22-2008, 08:22 PM
No magic in the quarterly Herceptin...I just wanted to have something to keep the battle going. It seemed too scary to completely quit :-)

Val

lexigirl
06-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Dear Val,

I am sorry that you are facing bc once again. However, I am happy that it was discovered early and that your prognosis will be good.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

jones7676
06-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi Val,

I'm sorry you have to go through this again...but I'm glad it was caught early.

My wish for you is that you have the strength and the knowledge to face, endure and be rid of those pesky cancer cells.

I hope whatever treatments you choose that they are very successful.

Barb

notamrnpsn
06-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Hey Val, I know exactly how you feel. I just had my second mastectomy on the 19th, came home the 20th. I had ductal cancer in the left breast, but this one was Lobular.
It was very small also ,no node involvement. I see my surgeon tomorrow and my onc. in a couple of weeks to see it I do need any treatment. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
It is like getting a punch in the gut when you hear the news, but like true Warrior Women we will get thru it. Hugs and Blessings, Jeanette

MJo
06-23-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm sorry you are going through this, too. It could happen to any of us and we all must be vigilant. I think you have made the right decision about the mastectomy. May you have many years of health ahead of you.

Colleens_Husband
06-23-2008, 07:54 AM
Val:

I am sorry you have to do this a second time. I can't imagine how tough you will need to be to repeat all the grief of a second go-around.

Val, please know that you are not alone. We are on your side. Our prayers will go out to you and your family.

Lee

michka
06-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Val, it gets me upset each time I see that one of us gets hit by this horrible disease. But after going through the heavy treatment once, finding another cancer in the second breast must be so difficult. I read your blog. I understand what you felt about the biopsy. I hope you can give us more news when you will have the final results.
Michka

Jean
06-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Dear Val,
I am glad that you maintain good check ups and caught this early. I am very sorry that you have to have surgery. I wish you a speedy recovery - keep that beautiful smile going....

Prayers and best wishes,
Jean

Joan M
06-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Val,

Sorry to hear that the cancer has returned in your other breast. I would agree with your decision to have another mastectomy. Glad that you don't have any sign of disease anywhere else.

Joan

TSund
06-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Val,

Hope all is going reasonably well.

Did your insurance balk at paying for the quarterly H?

I think it makes a lot of sense.

TRS

Bill
06-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi Val! I'm sorry to hear about this most recent development. Please know that you're in my thoughts and prayers, peace and love to you, Bill

Val Pfeiffer
06-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Thank you so much to each of you for your kind thoughts and words! I am expecting that the surgery will go very well and that the pathology will show no need for further treatment -- other than continuing the quarterly Herceptin. I may consider doing the Herceptin every three weeks again for awhile if the pathology shows that these cells are also Her2+. We'll see. I also may take another look at Tykerb.

And no, the insurance company didn't balk at the quarterly Herceptin. I am a member of a wonderful local HMO (and the last two years I have also worked there :-) But the first time I went though this I didn't work there and they were wonderful then too.

Val

juanita
06-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Sorry you have to go through this again, but glad that you caught it early. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Val Pfeiffer
07-02-2008, 02:14 PM
The surgery was yesterday, and it went very well. The good news is that the sentinel node was clear, so no chemo or radiation this time, which is great news!

Val

lexigirl
07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
That's terrific news, Val!! I am so happy that this was found early and you don't need further tx. Have you decided on your quarterly herceptin?

Big Hugs,
Lexi

Mary Anne in TX
07-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Val, that's such great news! Yahoo!

Mary Jo
07-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanking God for this wonderful news for you Val. My heart is rejoicing with yours.

Gentle hugs and Peace I send,

Mary Jo

Joan M
07-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Val,

That's wonderful news!

Joan

Bill
07-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi Val! Thank God for the good news! Thanks for sharing it with us.

sassy
07-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Wonderful news Val.....now you can get back to writing!

ElaineM
07-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Cancer is sneaky. I am glad you caught it early. I don't blame you for wanting to continue some kind of therapy especially after the sneaky cancer snuck up on you. Hopefully the surgery will take care of it. Take care and hang in there.

Val Pfeiffer
07-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Lexi, you asked what I have decided about the quarterly Herceptin. I'm pretty sure that I will continue with it quarterly. I called my oncologist yesterday and told him what has been going on (I hadn't talked to him since the new cancer was discvered, so I thought it was time to bring him into the loop). We chatted for awhle; he mentioned that at ASCO this year a study was presented that combined the post-tx Herceptin (triple dose every three weeks) with a lower dose of Tykerb. He knows that I have been following and thinking about Tykerb for long time, but previously I had decided to save Tykerb for a "rainy day."

I have an appointment with him on th 17th. By then I will have the pathology report on my new cancer cells. For some reason they never ran the Her2 or the ER/PR path tests on the biopsy sample, so I have to wait for the path results on the tissue they removed during the mastectomy (that really ticked me off...what a bone-headed thing to do). So when I know for sure that the new cells were also Her2 then I can make a better decision.

If the new cells are Her2+, then I will most certainly stay with at least the quarterly Herceptin. Unless someone tells me differently, I don't believe that mets travel to the other breast, so this is a new primary site. There wasn't evidence of cancer in the nodes, so theoretically my situation hasn't really changed. So I guess I could decide to go back to triple doses every three weeks and add the low dose Tykerb, but since things aren't really that different, I may stick with what I'm doing.

If any of you have any other thoughts, please let me know :-)

Val

StephN
07-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Dear Val -
You answered the question I was going to post.
What is the pathology of the new tumor?
Guess you will post that when you know.
In your signature you did not give the GRADE of you first tumor. Mine was high/3 and moved fast.

If it is still HER2, I would tend toward stepping up the frequency of Herceptin. Since you were only getting it quarterly, that leaves you some time between treatments that you are unprotected, giving the cancer time to do its sneaky thing.

And you don't KNOW that there are no micromets in the nodes or remaining tissue. Even though it is considered a new primary, the cancer remained active and did not develop in a vacuum.

Hope you have a great weekend and get in a little fun!