PDA

View Full Version : Help-Change in Microcalcifications

G. Ann
06-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi
Your wisdom and comments are needed. Since my mastectomy of left breast in 2004, the remaining right breast has had "loosely clustered" microcalcifications. May 28 mammo showed a change of microcalcifications. I went back to radiology today for new pictures--four magnified shots were taken. Saw radiologist and he said he could not tell if they were benign or malignant but there were "more and they are a tighter cluster." He recommended stereotactic procedure. My concern is I'm small breasted (A cup) and I don't think I have enough breast to hang down in the device. Also, saw plastic surgeon last spring and had kicked around idea for reconstruction. Plastic doc also said results are more satisfactory if he's not matching. In remaining breast I've had three cysts, have had two ultrasounds, and two biopsies. I made appt today with original surgeon to have consultation about just removing the breast and bypassing anymore testing. I would appreciate any input.

P.S. I have a picture of a dancer wearing pink ribbons, with the saying: "To our dreamweavers, soulful singers, and ice-cream eaters. To our hope-filled healers, freedom fighters, boundary breakers, and dance all nighters. To our laugh out louders, mercy givers, band-aid bearers, and peaceful wishers, we celebrate with you, our survivor sisters." (copyright--"high hopes, 2004 my chitchats)

The above sentiments fits this website perfectly. For me right now, I'm the "ice-cream eater." Thanking you in advance for your comments.

dhealey
06-21-2008, 10:20 AM
I would opt to have the breast removed. I had microcalcifications in my unaffected breast and last year had it removed. Pathology showed precancerous activity. I was glad I choose to have it removed. That being said I have not done any reconstruction. I was small breasted anyway and am 53, now I just choose what size I want to be with whatever I am wearing. Good luck to you in your decision.

Becky
06-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I am thinking about you. I had cancer on one side and dcis on the other with double lumpectomies (idiotic when I think about not getting the dear girls removed but I didn't know anything then).

First, get a good biopsy - perhaps a lumpectomy type and see what you're dealing with. Then decide what to do. I am thinking about you because this is a bloody difficult disease but you will know in your heart the right thing to do.

Sheila
06-22-2008, 04:56 AM
I can only echo what Becky has said...definately a biopsy or lumpectomy...my journey started with microcalcifications, that turned out to be invasive ductal, we can never be too careful...You are in my thoughts and prayers for good results whatever you choose to do.

Becky
06-22-2008, 08:29 AM
I just wanted to add why I said a "lumpectomy" type biopsy. It is because sometimes these things are so small that a needle can miss it and the biopsy comes back "benign" when it really missed the dcis.

When I had my lumpectomy on my cancer the surgeon said she "thought" she saw some micro calcifications on the other side and wanted to do a surgical biopsy on that side because I was already going to be put out.

She didn't think it would be anything but it was a 3mm dcis (low grade). A needle might have missed it and it ended up being "alittle" something.

G. Ann
06-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi Becky, Sheila, & dhealy,
Thanks for your input. Since my first post, I'm now scheduled for stereotactic biopsy on July 2nd. I also saw surgeon and he Ok'd mastectomy even if benign findings. The stereotactic biopsy would aid the surgeon if it was malignant as far as checking lymph nodes & sentinel nodes. Otherwise, I think I'd skip it.

It's been 4-1/2 years and I don't even want to think about chemo, radiation, etc. So first things first. I'm feeling less anxious (except for the stereotactic procedure) since there's a plan in place. The results from stereotactic will help me decide about doing reconstruction at the same time if it's just a prophylactic mastectomy and no BC evident.

Thanks again for your encouragement, prayers, & great Winnie-the-Pooh quote.

jhandley
06-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Get it off asap. My recurrence only showed a couple of microcalcifications,,nothing on ultrasound and guess what they found on surgery...4 cm tumour and one spot to liver.

harrie
06-25-2008, 10:58 PM
G. Ann, I have also been thinking about your thead. I read it quickly today and then tonight searched and searched and FINALLy found it!
I had DCIS on both breasts, lumpectomies in BOTH breasts, rads in both breasts. (about 6 yrs apart per breast) This does not include the numerous bioposy that showed negativity, ultrasounds and you name it.
In 2006 I finally had my bilat mastectomy with reconstruction.

What I wanted to say in regards to your situation, if there may be any doubt that the stereotactic biopsy could miss the calcification that does show cancer cells, being that you said there is a cluster of calcifications, then I would highly recommend you go for the mastectomy.

I was also very small like you. When I look back, lumpectomies to conserve my breasts were in reality more like partial mastectomies anyways! I am very content and happy with my mastectomy and reconstruction.

harrie
06-25-2008, 11:00 PM
G.Ann,one more thing, I had my mastectomy and reconstruction done at the same time. If you ck my profile, I was stage I.

G. Ann
06-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Hi Harrie & jhandley,
I so appreciate your posts and the earlier ones. It really makes a difference to share my concerns and fears and have people I don't even know take time to answer and share your experiences.

I am convinced I need to get the remaining breast removed. If the stereotactic biopsy comes back negative for cancer, I won't confident it's accurate. I guess you never totally know for sure, but I've felt for three years that I should have it removed since the first ultrasounds & biopsies.

Today is my birthday and of course I'm thankful for family and friends that I know. But this also is such a wonderful website and wealth of information plus caring hearts--- I am very grateful for all of you.
G. Ann

harrie
06-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Happy Birthday G. Ann!!!
What is really REALLY good about the information shared here is that when you finally make that decision.....you know in your heart that it was a very good one.
And to me that is half the battle.

SoCalGal
06-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Hi - Two more thoughts -
I had bilateral and NOTHING in the other breast but I'm glad I did the bilateral because when I had a recurrence I was "done" messing around and taking chances AND I also had a stereo tactic biopsy in which they "confirmed" "having" the area w/micro calcifications in the needle/biopsy. The report was negative BUT the radiologist was expecting other news from the mammogram and said that although it was negative and they were sure they had the correct sample - she was not comfortable with that result and strongly recommended a surgical biopsy. That was how they found my recurrence.
So - if you want my advice - I'd go with a surgical biopsy and then make decisions from there. I think that would give you peace of mind on the area.
Flori

Becky
06-27-2008, 05:05 AM
For the same reason as Flori, my almost 2cm tumor was biopsied with inconclusive results and I wanted it out because I have an aunt who died from bc because she was told a lump was nothing (for 4 yrs and it was a tumor and she had 19 nodes involved). So out came my Her2+ tumor (and the calcifications on the other side that was low grade dcis). So I believe in surgical biopsy because they take a chunk out and at least get some of the suspicious area.

You know we are all here to help each other as much as possible