PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my Port...Help

Brenda S
06-15-2008, 04:56 PM

Hello All,
I have had two chemo infusions. When I arrived for my second, I was informed that my port had "flipped" The nurse tried for about ten minutes to turn it the correct way so I could be infused. She was eventually successful...thank goodness for the nurse.They are all so very helpful!! Since that day, I think it has flipped again. I also feel a little stretching or pulling in my neck. Is this normal? Have any others had this type pf problem. When the chemo nurse was trying to correct the problem, it was uncomfortable and she said sometimes it cannot be manually turned. I've got an appointment with the surgeon this week. Any assistance is appreciated.
Thanks,
Brenda

NanaKaren
06-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Brenda,
Seeing your surgeon is the best thing to do. He/she can reinsert it so it will remain stable without all the fussing before every treatment. Good luck with it. I loved my port and never had any trouble with any of my infusions. In fact, when I had it removed my surgeon gave it to me for "show and tell". All my best, Nana Karen

Gerri
06-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Brenda,

Your surgeon should be able to tell you exactly what is going on with your port. I have heard of them flipping but that never happened to me. At times my nurses had trouble accessing my port but it was because of its location - sort of in my cleavage area. They started using longer, thinner needles and the problem was solved. My surgeon didn't think that made much sense because my port wasn't that deep, but hey, whatever worked was okay by me.

I hope this can be easily solved and the rest of your treatment goes smoothly.

Take care,

hello
06-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi,
Yes. A chat with the surgeon should help explain why your port flips. However, sometimes the position we sleep in can affect the port's movement. If it can't be flipped back manually you may want to try raising your arms up and down, taking deep breaths or moving around in whatever way the chemo nurses suggest. In most cases ports are better than using the veins all the time. Just thinking about using my veins makes me say "ouch".
ElaineM