PDA

View Full Version : UTIS and Taxol

katsc49
06-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Hello, all,
I just started Taxol 2 weeks ago and last week noticed some burning like a UTI,. I passed this info on o my onco, but this week have had pain like a UTI. Is it common for Taxol to cause uti symptoms, when drinking certain drinks? I can drink juiices with no problems but anything carbonated causes problems.
Thanks,
kathy

mts
06-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Any chemo drug will likely give a side effect... I think that many of us going through (or having been through) chemo are much more aware of our bodies and somewhat hypersensitized to anything that may not be normal. I blamed my chemo for anything that was not there before cancer...Thats not to say that your symptoms are not worrisome. Just that the UTI was already going to happen anyway and maybe the Taxol just exacerbated it. Your body defenses are low during chemo. Call the chemo nurse and see if you get a response in the right direction and if not check with your GYN...
With everything you are going through, a UTI is certainly the last thing on your wish list...
I probably did not answer your question, but I would not halt the benefits of the Taxol if I could help it !

maria

hutchibk
06-12-2008, 07:10 AM
For me, each time I was on Taxol, I had UTI problems... eventually, we discovered that disciplined use of estrace cream was the key to keeping them at bay so that I would not have to keep taking antibiotics every month...

dlaxague
06-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi,

I'd forgotten until I read your post that I had an odd thing going on during Taxol. I don't think I ever mentioned it (not to peers nor MD's) - just chalked it up to one more weird side effect. When I peeed (hmm how do you spell pee-ed, it can't have three "e's" in a row?). Voided. Whatever. When I did that, it came out very slowly no matter how much was in there, and towards the end it would stop and start, stop and start. Sometimes there'd be a sort of burning/cramping sensation also toward the end. I have never (knock wood) had a UTI. I always tried to stay really hydrated during chemo because other side effects seemed better if I did and I remember sometimes during Taxol thinking that I was sure wasting a lot of time in that bathroom waiting to empty my bladder.

Anyone else have this slow-pee side effect?

Kathy, did your onc want to check your urine to make sure you don't have a true UTI happening? Your counts could be low and making you more susceptible.

Debbie Laxague

Bill
06-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Nicola had UTI symptoms while on Taxol. At that time she drank, water, juices and Diet Coke daily. After she was off the Taxol, the UTI symptoms went away. Her urologist had her on Detrol LA. which helped.

Rendi69CA
06-15-2008, 09:48 PM
I experience a uti when I started taxol. I end up in the er and getting antibotic. I drink cranberry before, day of, and after chemo. It help me a lot and along with plenty of water.