PDA

View Full Version : anyone with bone density loss from A.I.?

CLTann
06-11-2008, 08:12 PM
I have been on A.I. for 33 months. I was on Fosamax for about 12 to 18 months, with an interruption of about 6 months due to digestive system upset and discomfort. When the side effect was not tolerable, the doc put me on a nose spray, which apparently has low efficacy. My bone loss now is about 3.5%. I am aware that there are several more potent treatment, mostly by injection, either monthly or once a year. Are there anyone on these potent treatment here and what are your reaction from the treatment? I appreciate your input.

SoCalGal
06-11-2008, 09:31 PM
I get zometa as part of my chemo every 6 weeks. I know that several women get it every six months. I have had a mild reaction the first time - with some aches and flu type symptoms for a couple of days. The second time it was much more mild - no fever and some aches but not too bad at all. Most women I know who get zometa are using it for healing bone mets.

Hope this helps!
Flori

Patb
06-12-2008, 06:28 PM
I have been on Arimidex for about 18 months and my
Dr. just informed me my bone density scan was much
worse than before and would need to take Actonel once
a month. I have concerns about that since I have GERD
and take Protonix for that. I have become a walking
Drugstore. I want to see what else is available also.
Take care.
patb

hutchibk
06-12-2008, 10:13 PM
I just started Zometa. I will get it once a month for 6 months and then we will reassess with a bone density test, and I will probably move to once every 3 months. I am also forcing myself to be 100% disciplined about taking my calcium and vitamin D. I have never been as vitamin disciplined as I should be, but I am trying to learn!

tricia keegan
06-15-2008, 10:05 AM
I had some bone loss also from arimidex and took fosamax for some months but stopped it for similar reasons to yourself. My friend takes Boniva monthly so I may try that next as my onc only gives zometa infusions for anyone with mets.

harrie
06-15-2008, 05:41 PM
I have shown signs of osteopenia for the past 4 yrs or so and have been on weekly Fosomax. I have been on AIs for about a yr now and am concerned about the bone loss since I had this problem prior to starting AI tx. I was on bi-annual bone density tests before Arimidex but will be having it done annually from now on.

NanaKaren
06-15-2008, 06:13 PM
I too, was oteopenic from the effects of chemo and Arimidex. Have been on Fosamax for 2 years along with calcium and Vit.D. I have recently increased my D intake(thanks Harriecanarie)and hope my next Dexa scan shows improvement. But I am with" hutchibk" it is tough to be disciplined and remember to take those vitamins daily. NanaKaren

sassy
06-15-2008, 06:37 PM
I have been fortunate to take Zometa once a year for osteopenia. I do not have mets. My most recent bone density test showed an INCREASE of 2 to 3%--so it is definately worth it.

The first infusion had flu like side effects. The second was very slight aches.

My insurance would not pay for Zometa until bone loss had been documented. It only took a year for that to occur--and they approved the treatment.