PDA

View Full Version : Never thought THIS DAY would come!

StephN
06-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Well, Dear Group, you know that yesterday was quite a hard day for me. Yet it was bitter-sweet. While Lolly's hubby was giving me the sad news I was getting ready for another landmark event in our family.

My grandson number 1 graduated from high school last night. Eight years ago I did now know if I would live to see him get his diploma. He always was a good student so I knew he would graduate, with or without my support and love.

Both of his grandparents on his dad's side passed away from lung cancer so he was missing them very much. I used to watch the two boys many times during their school breaks and summer when I was bald and weak. I would take them to a park or tennis court, set up my folding chair, and let them work off their energy. It was bookstores on wet days.

It was I who taught Marro to use a computer with Windows 3.1 when he was 4. He interviewed me once for a report on "decision making," and there are so many other great memories along the way.

I was really in two minds as I sat in the colliseum last night. Feeling sorry that Lolly would never be present at her grandson's graduation, and feeling very grateful that I was able to attend mine and cheer at the top of my lungs when his name was called.

Life is STRANGE!

Vic
06-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Steph,

I just read your message and you gave me chills of love, gratitude and appreciation as I read it. The special memories and devotion you showed to your grandchildren were amazing and I can just picture you nestled in a bookstore on a rainy day with peace and joy in your heart.

Not only have you brought happiness and joy to your family, you have brought it to me, as well. That was beautifully written and I thank you for sharing it.

I am so sorry to hear about Lolly. Her lovely photo always lit up this board each and every time I saw it.

Yes, life is STRANGE!

Still we must keep cheering for one another as you did at your grandson's graduation.

Love to you,

Vicki

Vi Schorpp
06-11-2008, 11:05 AM
most of life's moments are bittersweet. How joyful for you to experience this celebration. I was up all night at the hospital 5 years ago waiting for my grandson to be born. I left the hospital at 8:55 a.m. for a 9:00 a.m. visit in another wing (which confirmed that I had breast cancer). At the moment the doctor came in my cell phone rang that my grandson was born. It was a strange, bittersweet day.

What great memories you built with your grandson and I'm happy you got to celebrate.

Mary Anne in TX
06-11-2008, 11:08 AM
so true, Steph, bitter sweet. What a wonderful night to see your grandson reach his goal (and yours). Having read Lolly's son's message makes me think that she poured so much good into her family that it will reap good things for generations to come. Life is strange and sometimes hard to live, but I am so grateful for this very day and the ability to share even the sad times with those I care so much about. May those in trouble get a gift of peace today and a gift of blessings in the days to come. ma

Faith in Him
06-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Steph,

I am so glad that you were able to be there. What a wonderful memory for you and your grandson. Here's to many more special events.

Tonya

Colleens_Husband
06-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Steph:

Congratulations to your grandson. Cheer just as hard and just as loud when he graduates from college.

Personally, I am glad you made it eight years. Otherwise I would have never known you. You are an amazing human being.

Lee

Barbara H.
06-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi Steph,
And to think that I was talking to you fifteen minutes before the ceremony was supposed to begin. I developed mets a few weeks before my sons graduation and attended shortly after my brain surgery. For awhile I didn't even know if I would be able to attend. Each moment in our lives seem much more precious.

Thank for being willing to give me some time yesterday. I was just so shocked and upset when I read your post.

Nevertheless, I am happy for you that you were able to enjoy and celebrate your grandson's graduation.

Best wishes,
Barbara H.

Paty
06-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Dear Steph,

I know how much this means to you, so for that my most sincere congratulations. I bet you'll see him graduate from college. Take care, Love,

Paty

Bill
06-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Congratulations, Steph, to you and your grandson! You both keep up the good work.

dhealey
06-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Steph, Each milestone that comes and goes, such as my daughter's recent wedding, makes me feel so blessed. I didn't think I would be here for her graduation last year, but I was bald and all. Then came the wedding this past April, again didn't know as things with my health keep cropping up. But there I was with my husband walking her down the ailse. Yes life is bitter sweet and I have found with the bad always comes some good. May you make many more memories with your grandson!

caya
06-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Congrats Steph on your grandson's graduation, and for being 8 years out!! Very uplifting news.

I also celebrated 2 milestones since dx -my younger DD graduated high school in June 2007, and this week, on Monday, our older DD graduated from university. When I was first diagnosed in October 2006, I did not know if I would live to see either of these grads - but I did, and am looking forward to many more happy events.

all the best
caya

CindyE
06-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Graduation is such a wonderful memory. I'm so glad you were able to be there with your grandson on his special day. I know my youngest son graduated just this last Saturday from HS and I know how blessed I felt to be there to celebrate his achievement.

Best wishes on many, many more special days and memories.

Cindy

Jean
06-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Steph,
I am so very happy for you to share your grandsons special day. I wish you many many more years of
special days with your family.

God Bless,
Jean

belle
06-12-2008, 01:37 AM
Steph,

Let me also wish you many more years of such happy highlights in your family. You seem to be a great grandmother and this is another incentive for your to stay there for your grandchildren who are wrapped up by your special love. Wish you to see the children of your grandchildren!

Best,
belle

mts
06-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Very eloquent... congrats to you and your grandson.

maria

RobinP
06-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Steph, I'm Glad For Your And Thanks For Bringing Us Your Awesome News.

lizm100
06-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Steph-
I'm sorry to hear about Lolly. I don't believe I posted with her but I recall her picture vividly. When I first joined this forum, her posts were one of the 1st one's I read. Just from her picture she seems like a very special person. The solice in this is that she is at peace and may all her memories live on.

Congratulations on your grandson's graduation!!! It is wonderful news. You must be so proud and you have a right to be...

Liz

Joan M
06-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Steph, Congratulations to both you and your grandson. You've both earned it! May there be many other family celebrations that you'll cherish. Joan

juanita
06-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Congratulations Steph! I can't wait for my 2 grandkids to graduate, though I do have a long wait ahead of me.