PDA

View Full Version : I got my port out

Brenda_D
06-11-2008, 05:41 AM
It's a new start, and now I feel I can start to move past having BC, even if it's for a little while.

I just wanted to note that my breast surgeon would not remove the port in his office. He set me up for removal in the O.R., and I'm glad he did.
I was offered the choice of being put under or using a local. I let him decide, since I didn't know how how hard it would be. We did use a local, although about halfway through, I was wishing for sedation.
My port had been in place for a year and a half, and tissue had really grown into and around it.
It was a hard removal and yes, it hurt.
After I came home, and the local wore off, it really hurt, and doc didn't give me any pain meds.
Thank goodness I had a few left from treatment.
But I did sleep better than expected and it's better today. I did realize that I had to wear my bra, to keep the breast from pulling on the incision.
That helps a lot.
I have to say that when you're in there, getting your port removed, you do have second thoughts on whether you're doing the right thing. What if I need one again? Right now, the last thing I want to think about is having any more surgery.

StephN
06-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Dear Brenda -
Now you can say you are OFFICIALLY done with breast cancer adjuvent treatment.
But I can't believe your doctor did not offer something for pain. What do they think we had in there, a bee sting!!??

Getting the port out has the psychological effect for some people that they can more easily move on. Thay are able to dwell less on what they have just experienced over the previous year or more.

If you had kept the port it would have to be maintained by getting it flushed and heparinized every month or so to keep the line from clotting.

Joan M
06-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Brenda,

Congratulations! I remember what a relief it was to have my port out -- after three years.

The surgeon who put it in at the hospital gave me the option of taking it out in his office under local anesthesia, but I opted for the hospital and to be put under.

I was kind of surprised that he could have taken out the port in his office.

Joan

juanita
06-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Congratulations! I was so happy to have mine out so I'm sure you'll be doing a happy dance.