PDA

View Full Version : Finallllllyyyyyy - Yipeeeeeee

IRENE FROM TAMPA
06-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Well my friends - I finally received answer from Genetech on the Herceptin/DM1 trial -

I'M IN.......

Talk about being stressed...we are scheduled to leave for vacation tomorrow and we have been back and forth now for seems like an eternity of waiting.

Since I am now down to the bottom of the barrel, so to speak, of what to take next, this comes as a God send.

I take my first dose tomorrow morning and then we leave for vacation - but I am so pleased that they accepted me. Can you believe that out of about 12 tumors sites now - we HAD to find one 2 cm or larger.
Who would believe that we were praying for one to be bigger.. go figure.

I have been having back pain now for about 3 weeks and my onc feels it might be due to the spine mets??
They have called in some Vicadin to see if that helps.

Just wanted to share this with everyone and pray I get response from this trial.

Hope everyone is doing well.

runtolive
06-10-2008, 11:40 AM
congrats.. good luck in the trial

run to live

PinkGirl
06-10-2008, 11:44 AM
YIPEEEEEE is right!!!! That is great news
Irene. Thanks for letting us know.

You are such a warrior - getting a treatment and then leaving on your
vacation! I'm more of a couch potatoe type.

Enjoy your holiday and please let us know how you're doing on
this new combo.

tricia keegan
06-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Irene I'm really pleased for you and hope you do really well on this. Pink Girl is right...tx and then leave for a holiday????? Wow whad a woman!!!!!
Have a lovely time and hope you come back relaxed happy and de stressed:)

runtolive
06-10-2008, 12:14 PM
irene .. which tras-dm1 are you going to be in. there will be at least 2-3 different trials running..

Donna
06-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Dear Irene,

praying that this is finally the magic bullet you have been waiting for! Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

Donna

Faith in Him
06-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Just wonderful, Irene. Now you can enjoy your vacation knowing that you have just received the herceptin smart bomb. Good for you.

IRENE FROM TAMPA
06-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Run to live - I am not sure which trial. It is given every third week with blood tested weekly.

I know I tried earlier in the year to qualify and I was told I had taken too many drugs and also had had a stem cell transplant - but they have since waived these exclusions.

My trial co-ordinator really had to work hard getting me in this time - but she did it.

I know there is another trial (same name) opening up in July with a little more leeway on it. I was going to try for that one when it opened if I could not qualify for this one. So there are more to come.

Thanks again.

lilyecuadorian
06-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Irene my friend you will love this drug is easy ...enjoy your vacations !!!! 2 types of vacations (#1) heavy drug vacation and (#2) your vacations ...

Julie2
06-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Irene,

It is such a good news! now you can relax and let the drug do its work. Wishing this will keep you NED for a very, very long time.

Julie

DonnaD
06-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Irene,
Congrats! Sorry it got down to the wire for you but you are in!!!! Please know many will be praying this will be the answer you need.

I hope the treatment goes well and you will enjoy a wonderful vacation. God Bless you!
Donna

StephN
06-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Irene -
Just the news I was waiting for.
Now you can get that first dose, and hopefully your vacation does not include too much activity so you can kick back if you need to. (Some of the ladies have reported not feeling so hot after the first dose.)

Wishing you good trial results and a happy vacation. Now give those mets a good licking!

Barbara H.
06-10-2008, 03:48 PM
HI Irene,
I screamed when I heard this news. I am so excited for you because I was really worried you might not be accepted. This treatment has a very good response rate. You probably won't fill great with your first infusion, but it is doable. If you are in pain you will know if you are responding. I was in pain for three months, and pain free within two days of my first dose.

Irene, I so hope that this will work for you. With all the drugs you have already had, you won't believe the quality of life you will have on this drug. The hardest part is having to come in every week. At least you only have to be treated every three weeks,

Keep us posted. I am so excited for you.

Best wishes,
Barbara H.

chrisy
06-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Ok, Irene, Before I Even Read Your Post, I Am so glad You Are Saying Yippeeeee!!! Some Sweet Spirit Must've Opened A Window Somewhere.

Now I Gotta Go Back And Read Your Post, My Friend!

Jean
06-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Irene,
I am thrilled to hear your good news. Wishing you a grand vacation and the very best with your new
treatment.

Regards,
jean

chrisy
06-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Irene, I just knew you would get in this trial somehow! I knew it!

You are in the same trial that I am - every 3 week treatments, weekly visits. The schedule is pretty demanding unless you live close to where the trial is - so I hope it is right in your backyard!

You probably know, the first infusion day is a real marathon. - 90 min infusion time plus observation, vitals and blood draws periodically for 4 hours after that. So bring a friend to bring you food! Also, I don't remember if your most recent treatment included Herceptin or not...if not, you may have a reaction of flu-like symptoms. Plan on vegging! As you continue on the drug, you will feel very good - just like on regular Herceptin.

I remember when you had to fight to get on the Tykerb/Xeloda trial and then jetted off to Italy on vacation. That worked out very well - so you may be onto something with the instant vacation.

One final comment, when I started this trial I asked about why would this work where Herceptin or Tykerb has failed? She told me "because it's different - you are not counting on the Herceptin to kill the cancer (which may have found ways to escape), you are using it to deliver the toxin which kills the cancer. It's like a smart bomb". Irene, you've had such good response to Her2 target therapies, I think this will be another success story for you.

Much much love
chris

dhealey
06-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Irene, That is the best news I have heard this week. (having a bad one) You have lifted my spirits. Best of luck and enjoy your vacation!

Mary Anne in TX
06-10-2008, 04:37 PM
So pleased for you!!!! And I'll be believin' and prayin' all the while that it gets to work quickly! ma

WomanofSteel
06-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Great news! Hope this does the trick.

Patb
06-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Congratulations, this is such good news and have a wonderful trip.
patb

hutchibk
06-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Such good news Irene! What a great start to your vacation... where you going?

Joan M
06-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Irene, Well done! Now, enjoy your hard-earned vacation! Best, Joan

kareneg
06-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Oh Irene what wonderful news my thoughts and prayers are with you as always! Have a great vacation to keep us posted on your progress!

caya
06-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Great News Irene...
Hoping this is the magic bullet for you.

Now go enjoy yourself on your vacation.

all the best
caya

Mary Jo
06-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Oh glory be.........happy news.............My heart rejoices with yours Irene.

Asking God to please let this be your "magic!"

Love to you...

Mary Jo

Becky
06-10-2008, 06:46 PM
I am very happy for your good news.

Gerri
06-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Much needed good news Irene. Enjoy your vacation and keep us posted.

ElaineM
06-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi,
Congratulations on getting into the trial. Relax and enjoy your vacation.

schoolteacher
06-11-2008, 05:45 AM
I am so happy for you Irene. I will pray for you.

Amelia

basset girl
06-11-2008, 06:04 AM
Great news!! I hope you have wonderful success with this treatment.

IRENE FROM TAMPA
06-11-2008, 06:10 AM
I am on my way - wow what a roller coaster ride I have been on....as all of us.

I hope not to feel too bad with this but our vacation this year is taking us to Boca Grande Beach. About 2 hrs away from home, not far and will just have to drive back for 1 day for blood next week.

When we scheduled for vacation, I figured since this had not been a good year for me, that a beach vacation would be just the ticket. If I dont feel good, I just just veg out a bit. And the sound of the ocean is always therapeutical anyway.

Will let everyone know how I faired with the 1st on my return from beach on 6/21

Love you guys - I can just feel your love and support thru the wires.

Take care

Sheila
06-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Irene
I am so happy for you that you were accepted....hope the 1st treatment is a breeze, then go and get your healing energy from the warmth of the sand....prayers for you have been answered Irene!!! Enjoy your get away.

Joy
06-11-2008, 09:32 AM
How wonderful Irene, you are even beating me with getting your first dose!!!!!! Here's to great results and fun vacations and a level of relief! I begin on the 18th providing all the dumb tests are okay. Let's keep each other aprised! So happy for you!

Becca
06-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Irene, best wishes as you start on this trial and on vacation. Your courage and spunk encourage the rest of us.

Paty
06-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Good for you!!!! Congratulations and Enjoy your vacations!!!

Paty

MCS
06-16-2008, 07:11 PM
yippeeee back

I'm so glad for you Irene. You're such a fighter

love
maria

Bill
06-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Way to go, Irene! I'm so glad you got in! Love ya, Bill

jones7676
06-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Congratulations - I hope it works wonders for you - and I hope you enjoy your vacation!

Believe51
06-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Thinking so much about you and wondering how things are going?? If you are feeling up to it to update great, if not we will talk to you when you are more up to speed. Just wanted to take a moment and send smiles and love to one of my Sweeties!!>>Believe51