PDA

View Full Version : Turning 60

vickie h
06-07-2008, 07:23 PM
I will turn 60 on June 22, after 4 years of non-stop chemo for inflammatory BC. I am not on the calendar for some reason, but I am still grateful for my life and my time amongst the trees, wind, and ocean. Everyday is a good day that I wake up a part of this earth. It has been a journey of tears, laughter, absurdity, hope and fingernails chewed to the bone. I have crawled from my safe place to the blackest, coldest tempests. I have learned to let that extra car in, to scream into the wind, to run through the mountains, to reach out to those who need it most, even if they don't know it.
I have kissed the fear from my grandchildrens' eyes, cupped the face of a friend struggling with change, held my husband close through the storm, and stayed in bed on cloudy days. It is all good, all meant to be, all true.
Happy birthday to us all, whether it be in hours, days, months or years.....We have a chance to celebrate every minute we take that breath.
Love, Vickie

Mary Jo
06-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Hi Vickie,

Although it's a bit early for your birthday wish, I'm afraid if I don't say it now, I might forget to say it on the 22nd SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO a VERY HAPPY birthday I wish you.

Your post was intriguing and very heartfelt....I could "hear" your emotion come through loud and clear.

Yes you are right........every day we are given is a gift. Every day we are given is an opportunity for us to reach out and love someone else - to bring joy and love to others. Only in living that way can we experience true joy - in my opinion.

Praise God for another year of life for you Vickie and may His Peace and Love continue to surround you.

Mary Jo

Joe
06-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Vickie,

Your birthday is on our calendar, is that the calendar that you are referring to?

I drove through your town several weeks ago on our way to Monterey. Love the area.

Regards
Joe

vickie h
06-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Thank you Mary Jo and Joe.
You have always been so kind and life affirming to me and others these past years. Your message lifts me even higher and fills me with renewed love. Love always, Vickie h

Paty
06-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Vicky,

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday, today, tomorrow and every day! You are right, we have to enjoy every breath we take as life is the best of celebrations.

All my love!

Paty

dhealey
06-08-2008, 04:23 AM
Wishing you a early HAPPY BIRTHDAY! To me every day I am still here is a birthday! Bless you.

Barbara H.
06-08-2008, 05:43 AM
Hi Vicki,
Your post is very affirming. Wishing you a very "Happy Birthday" and a great year ahead. I am also hoping that you reach ned again. I was also born in 48. While many of my friends are upset about turning 60, for me it was a milestone that I reached. I was diagnosed ten years ago in May and four years ago I developed mets and graduated to stage 4. This website has been a major support to me as I am sure it is for you.

May you celebrate many more birthdays!

Best wishes,
Barbara H.

Mary Anne in TX
06-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Have a wonderful birthday month! Yes, it's great to turn 60. Here's, also, to 70, 80, and 90+ to come! Best wishes, ma

Jackie07
06-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Happy birthday, Vickie!

60 is 'the' big birthday for Chinese. Actually, according to the old tradition, '60th' is the first one to be 'publicly' celebrated. The old tradition in China teaches children that their birthday is their mothers' suffering day. So instead of celebrating, one is supposed to relect his/her own life and thank his/her mother on the special day.

Now when one turns 60, most likely he/she already has children and grand children. And since 'There have been few that made to 70...' (a very, very old saying - now the quote is "life begins at 70"), 60 is the first big birthday celebration. Following the 70th birthday, the 80th becomes the true big celebration! And if you make it to the 90's like my father, you will be viewed as having had great blessings.

So, congratulations on your upcoming big '60'! And thanks for sharing with us your wisdom.

ElaineM
06-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi,
A very, very BIG "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" to you. I wish you many, many more to enjoy all life's experiences.
I never complain about getting older. It is great !!
Life on earth is a gift that keeps on bringing surprises and lessons to be learned.

chrisy
06-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Vickie,
early birthday hugs to you! There, got that over with. Now you can start looking forward to, say, 70 or 80!

Love
Chris

Diana1993
06-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Welome Vickie to the 60's club. I was diagnosed at age 46 in '93. Celebrated the 50's and enjoyed each year, and now at 61 and still around to tell about it, I feel blessed. I don't often respond to threads but your message struck a chord with me. I will wish you Happy Birthday now, because on June 22 I will be in San Antonio, picking up my Granddaughters and bringing them back to Canada for a few weeks vacation. Best wishes and Hugs,
Diana

Jean
06-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Vickie,
Thank you for the beautiful and inspiring post.
So happy that you are celebrating your 60 th Birthday.
Wishing you many many more!

Hugs,
jean

vickie h
06-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Thank you for the wonderfully inspiring posts and encouragement. You are all so very beautiful and sincere. I am humbled by your kindness, grateful for your friendship, enabled by your hope and grace. Much love and more warm hugs, Vickie

swimangel72
06-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Happy 60th Birthday a bit early, Vickie - your post was so beautiful and so true - I can read the courage, wisdom, laughter and tears in your voice, thanks so much for sharing!

Believe51
06-18-2008, 12:14 PM
A tad early but my birthday is the 23rd and I will not be around so I needed to take a moment and celebrate your birthday with you now. Happy 60th Birthday My friend!! Your post made me smile outloud and gave me the boost I so needed just like many others here. Ed has inflammatory also and this moment in time he is on a 'chemo vacation' so his body may recover a bit, when we know where we are at...we will take it from there. No NED yet but you have inspired us truely by hearing this journey outloud. I want to thank you for the uplifting and inspirational post, I cannot imagine being on chemo that long. You are a true Warrior and a very special hero to me, Vickie. I am so pleased to hear the contentment in your voice and the strength behind it. I am excited myself just to be here another day so that I can celebrate my own life and the lives of people I love. Keep them birthdays coming.>>Believe51

PS: I may not be around on the 22nd but I will surely have a small special cake with your name written on it. I will make a wish for you as I blow out the candles; I know what that wish will be!!!!

tricia keegan
06-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Happy birthday Vicki and marie!! (just in case I'm not around on the day!) Love to you both and enjoy your day!

GemmaG
06-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday! happy birthday! Happy Birthday, Dear Vicki!!!!
Yeheyyyy!!!!! Now make that wish! Blow the candles!

Sending you my hugs and love!

Hugs,
Gemma

vickie h
06-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Dearest Kathy, Marie, Gemma and Tricia and all my beloved sisters here,

Your greetings and wishes have literally meant the world to me. This is a special birthday, indeed, because of your kindness and love.
Sweet Marie, Your birthday is a day after mine! I am sending you my love and prayers for a fabulous birthday. You deserve the cake, the songs, the gifts, the blue skies, the ocean waves falling gently onto the shore of your life and that wonderful husband of yours. I will be blowing out the candles of our cancers and replacing them with pillars of light and life and hope.
I love you all very much, Vickie

Joy
06-20-2008, 07:43 AM
from a beautiful woman. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you. I know it is early, but you should be celebrating continuously. I am so happy you are here and you are a fighter and so grateful for all of your encouragement!

Believe51
06-20-2008, 07:44 AM
......as we do you, we are loving you right back. Thanks for your birthday wishes to me. I have everything I deserve, I can now see the colors back in my life, I hear the music again, and the smell of the ocean has never been so sweet. This will be a hard birthday for me because I share it with our Angel MichelleH and I wanted so much to be with her on OUR day. Well Vickie, it will always be our day and I will rejoice in heart with her. She had a way with gifts and she left me one last present........

........her best friend contacted me to thank me for the love and friendship I had with her best friend of over 25 years, Stacy. We have remained in contact with one another and I can see why Michelle loved he so, she is almost a clone. Michelle lead us together to mourn, to laugh, to celebrate and to remember her grace. I only knew Michelle since she had BC and it is so refreshing to get to learn more about the spectacular person she was before her journey. How about that for the best gift ever??

So I leave tonight after a BC seminar to celebrate our birthdays. Wish you could see the shirt I made with The Mighty Oak's picture on the front. It says: "STILL FIGHTING". On the back it says: "REMEMEBRED" and I have names of our Warriors......Michelle, Nikki, Kate, Sandy, Lolly, Carol, Pat, Luann. Gorgeous shirt for tonights festivities. Cannot wait to light the luminaries for them (4) and luminaries for us whom are still fighting. I especially cannot wait to eat, hehe!

Sending love back at 'cha and all of us who are aiming for just another day. May we work as one as we search for a cure. Love you all>>Believe51