PDA

View Full Version : LVEF and exercises

fullofbeans
06-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Since I am with herceptin for the long run (I hope) I had been wondering how to improve my LV ( 59% in January 08 down from 64% Mar 07).

I always thought (without actually researching it) that exercising again can pay dividend. The study bellow seem to agree, however it does not seem as an obvious factor("modest trend") as I previously thought:

"When individual variations in six month changes were examined, participants attaining the greatest increases in fitness and reductions in abdominal fatness, insulin resistance and BP showed a modest trend towards physiological hypertrophy characterised by increased cardiac size and improved LV diastolic function. These results suggest that decreased abdominal fatness may have a role in improving cardiovascular health. "
http://heart.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/92/7/893

Seems that there is not that much we can do...am I right?

AlaskaAngel
06-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Since there appears to be some recovery that can happen for some with discontinuing Herceptin, so that they are able to go back on it, maybe some type of off-and-on therapy of the correct durations might also help, although I know some do quite logically feel that it is key to stay on it as well.

A.A.

fullofbeans
06-04-2008, 06:40 AM
I see your point AA thanks but well I get extremely nervous at the thought of discontinuing Herceptin..
which is why it woud have been nice if LV could be improved some otherway..

sarah
06-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Many of us take co-enzyme Q10 to help the heart.
sarah