PDA

View Full Version : liquid around the lungs

sarah
06-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Hello,
I've heard about liquid IN the lungs but not AROUND the lungs. What is this? How dangerous is it?
My IBC, HER2+++, ER- PR- friend on FEC100 who also has shingles has this and is now in hospital.
Any info would be great.
I'm be in the hospital tomorrow myself getting my high octane Herceptin fill up so will check up on her again.
sarah

sassy
06-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Maybe Mary Ann DuBois can help with this. I think she had something similar. I could be wrong...

Jean
06-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Sarah,
I believe when this happens the dr. would perform a
pleural tap to remove the fluid from the chest cavity.
Will allow your friend to breath easier and remove the
pressure from the fluid.

The fluid could be caused by different reasons, such as
pneumonia, infections, heart problems and even the cancer, recent surgery can be a cause for fluid.

The dr. usually performs a procedure by a small incision
and places a tube to drain the fluid. Sendng all good wishes to your friend.

Regards,
Jean

Sheila
06-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Sarah
I believe Maryanne and a few others had a procedure called talcing to rid the lungs of fluid...hopefully they will respond.

madubois63
06-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Yes, I did have fluid around the lung. The fluid builds up between the lung and the chest wall. This can be very heavy and making breathing, walking eating and everything else really difficult. I had 2 - 3 liters removed at one time. That's bigger than a big bottle of soda. Theurasetisis is when the they remove the fluid (tapping the lung) and Pleuradesis is when the blow in a talc that is supposed to adhere the lung to the chest wall leaving no room for fluid to build up again. They might leave a tube into drain for a few days. Tell her to take a pain killer when they pull the tube. Every doctor says it doesn't hurt, we've been through enough!! The procudere will really help eliviate the weakness and pain she may be feeling.

Pam P
06-02-2008, 04:22 AM
I had pleural effusions on both lungs. It was caused by the taxotere I was getting. I had thoracentesis done 2 x on each lung. They removed about 1 liter each time. There was no evidence of cancer cells, so they felt it was the taxotere side effect. Small effusions still show up on scan so it never resolved completely but doesn't cause me any problem now. It was very painful & scary when it happened though -- I couldn't walk from the back door to the car without being totally out of breath.

sarah
06-08-2008, 02:10 AM
Many, many thanks for this helpful information. I will ask them to do the talc thing. She's having a 2nd puncture today.
hugs and love
sarah

sarah
06-09-2008, 03:52 AM
Hello,
What if they found cancer in the liquid? what options?
thanks
Sarah

Diana1993
06-09-2008, 05:10 AM
Sarah, they found "cancer like" cells in my fluid from pleura, lung, in 2001, and at this point I was put on Tamoxifin (sp?). It has never come back to that area. Theurasetisis and Pleuradesis were both performed. My breast cancer doesn't discrimnate to any one part of the body. I now have my kidney stents back to open the flow from tumor blockage and now on Xeloda. I just read at this site that perhaps I should not have been taken off Herceptin. I will fax my onc. Lani's report today. Thankfully my Dr. is receptive to suggestion.
Just a small note, try not to worry. I believe that stress gets in the way of healing. Not an easy order!
Hugs,
Diana.

sarah
06-09-2008, 05:59 AM
thank you Diana for your reply.
She is ER- and PR- so tamoxofin wouldn't help her.
I agree about Herceptin. It seems every time she goes off it, she gets a relapse.
Every time I see my oncologist, I hope he won't take me off Herceptin and I have minor problems compared to her.
Her daughter talked to the doctor and he mentioned the talc operation so hopefully they'll do that and get her into shape to get back to herceptin and chemo.
Go luck with your "voyage"
health and happiness
sarah