PDA

View Full Version : well...

Joy
05-29-2008, 12:39 PM
guess who is starting the herceptin dm-1? Yes, it is me! Please tell me this is a good thing! I have to jump through all of the hoops and should qualify. I will join you fellow commuters as i will have to travel to Denver a lot. My alk phos is gradually rising and ALT, I think, is slightly elevated. The trial is set to close in June and my docs did not want me to miss the window of opportunity.

I feel overwhelmed and a little scared, but I know so many of you have done so well on it. I just want to be one of you all. Could really use some encouragement and reassurance. I have so much to live for these days, more than ever and have felt kind of down about it all.

Thanks

Mary Jo
05-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi Joy,
Let me be the first to offer you heartfelt encouragement and support in this trial you will soon begin.

I'm so happy you were able to be a part of it and feel confident it will work wonders for you.

Asking God to give you His peace, strength and joy and thanking Him for all the blessings you've been given thus far.

Love to you Joy...

Mary Jo

abitjaded
05-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Joy and others,

Hey all you DM folks. Thought you were at Dana Farber.

I am in Denver and have two guest rooms, private downstairs with a bath. Not too far from Univ Hosp. Is this where you are headed?

I'm here if you need me. Feel free to PM.

Carla

tricia keegan
05-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Joy, I've been following your postings of late and although I have no advice I'm thrilled and excited for you begining this trial. Just to wish you luck and hope you do as well as other's on it...I'm sure you will!

fullofbeans
05-29-2008, 01:51 PM
I wish you all the best my dearest Joy, lots of positive thoughts going your way. I hope it will be just the ticket you have prayed for..

Ruth
05-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Joy,

Best of luck to you as you begin this new trial and hopefully this is going to be successful for you.

I love reading about your life. You make me smile and bring JOY to me.

You so deserve a break!

Hugs ~ Ruth

CLTann
05-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Joy,

The window of opportunity is wide open for you and I wish you the best.

Ann

chrisy
05-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Joy, I think this is great news! Is this the 3 week or the 1 week trial?

Either way, I hope you have some good books on tape or whatever now that you'll be joining the weekly DM1 day-trippers. They are very, well, anal (can I say that?) on this trial which is a good thing as the drug is so experimental. I'm glad they monitor everything so closely so they can get the dosage answers they need and keep us safe. Even though I had to get my last treatment pushed back :(

Of course, you've been round the block enough to know that everyone responds differently with respect to side effects. I started to list all the ones I've had in gory detail, but then I remembered you wanted ENcouragement, not DIScouragement!
So, I'll just say it is more toxic than regular herceptin but not as bad as chemo. In terms we can all understand, on the spectrum starting with lemonade --->margarita--->tequila shots, it's sort of a slushy weak maggie.

I know you will do great on this trial!

Jean
05-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Dear Joy,
I always look for your posts....you are one of the most
interesting, adorable members....From what the trial
is presenting thus far it appears to be doing a great job.
I wish all the best for you as you begin your treatment.
Please keep us updated...and as far as encouragment,
I am sending you heaps of love and support.

Hugs,
jean

Mary Anne in TX
05-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Sending bucket loads of love and hope for smooth sailing and fabulous results! ma

madubois63
05-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Good luck to ALL!!!!!!! This is great news for everyone. I know trials pay for a lot, but don't forget Angel Flights America and The American Cancer Society Hope Lodge. Free flights and lodging for patients and family.....

Bill
05-29-2008, 03:59 PM
As always, you're in my thoughts and prayers, Little Sis. Try not to be too worried. You'll do great! Love ya, Big Brother Bill

Barbara H.
05-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi Joy,
Welcome to the DM1 Herceptin club. I am sure you will love this drug. It has very little side effects with most people. However, expect your liver enzymes to rise. It is a normal side effect. By the way, chrisy, my treatment was also withheld today. Joy, I hope this treatment will put you into remission for a long time.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

swimangel72
05-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Best wishes Joy - I've been reading your posts and feel so inspired by your optimism and courage! I'll be praying this treatment works and that you'll have safe travels to and from Denver.

Gerri
05-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Dear sweet Joy,

Yet another one of our amazing warriors! I sure hope you find this combo easy to tolerate and that it does the job! I just know that the happiness you are now feeling in your personal life will carry you through these tough times.

All my best,

sassy
05-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Joy,

I'm sure this is a "good thing" as Martha says. Hoping all goes well and your trips are not too hard on you.

Hopeful
05-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Joy,

This is indeed fantastic news. Best of luck to you with the trial. Please let us know how you are doing.

Hopeful