PDA

View Full Version : taxol & avastin & weight gain?

Pam P
05-29-2008, 03:34 AM
I just started taxol & avastin. I had my 3rd weekly treatment yesterday. Already I've gained 5 pounds and I don't think I've done anything else differently. Do people gain weight on this combo?

For pre-meds I'm getting aloxi, zantac, & benadryl. The 1st wk I got 10 mg of decadron, 2nd wk 5 mg, and now I can get by without decadron. I know decadron can cause weight gain too. I've asked not to get it for other reasons, I really have trouble with it's side effects.

So far other than slight side effects of achiness, dry throat, my biggest issue has been constipation with this chemo.

I was on xeloda/tykerb for over 3 yrs before having to switch to taxol/avastin. On that I was able to lose weight & keep it off. I still need to lose 15-20 more pounds and am now concerned that I'll be gaining weight back.

Maybe weight gain isnt the biggest issue in the big picture of this disease, but I'm trying to get to a normal weight for me & not be so overweight. The data on being overweight & increased risk with breast cancer is compelling me.