PDA

View Full Version : Life is still good...

fullofbeans
05-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Just had my 4 months scan results today..

Few days before the scan i started to be really scarred somewhat I was thinking that things simply have gone so well and that somewhat I will take a bashing soon...(too good to be true kinda of thoughts)

But no my oncologist that I had not seen for more than a year (at which point I thought..here we go..) came to tell me that I am his star patient!

You know the funny thing is: I really love my life now, much much more than before I was stage 4, I love it love it love it... and the thing is I live and plan on a 4 monthly basis not that I am pessimistic but rather my phylosophy is yipeehh got another 4 months of healthy living ahead !!!! thank you thank you thank you..I simply cannot beleive my luck (actually I even play down my contentment to certain people around me I would not want them to get jalous..haha!)

StephN
05-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi Wonderful Woman -

Is that the onc that did not want to give you the Herceptin?? Showed him, I should say! And he even now admits it. Going to Germany and all that for treatment was not due to his encouragement!

You and the Dalai Lama have it right - where there is life, there is hope.

What is your next feat? Going to Kilimanjaro?

fullofbeans
05-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Hello my lovely lady, my beam of hope..

No he was happy to give me herceptin but did not want me to go to Germany and had not wanted to give me the first scan that allowed me to make the right change to my treatment anyhow he did allow me to have more taxotere that UK protocole allows for so he redeemed himself at the end! But still have to beg to get a scan when I do not speak to him personally anyhow..

Not sure yet what is coming next..I think I want to learn Spanish (being French it is quite easy and I kept on thinking that when doing the pelgrimage) and on the 15 June I will be doing the London-Brighton Bike race (70/80 miles) for charity.. Indeed my primary target is to continue to really get fit and healthy: I want to breeze health!!.. I want people to think that the rumour about this girl categorised as having incurable cancer is obviously very silly!!!

Hey by the way I went to Nottingham last week end to actually see the Dalai Lama in person who was giving teaching lesson to us (a large audience)..he is very wise indeed and has much warmth about him..

Mary Jo
05-28-2008, 02:51 PM
What a wonderful post "beans!" I'm so happy your 4 month scans were WONDERFUL but I'm even happier that you've found that true happiness that we all seek. Cancer has a way of teaching that to us, doesn't it?

Sending up prayers of thanks and a gentle hug from me to you.

Mary Jo

harrie
05-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Fullofbeans, I absolutely LOVED reading this thread you started. It is so full of energy, love of life, gratitude and a very strong spirit!
It is interesting what you wrote about loving life more now then before you were stage 4. I can tell that the experiences you went through from going through stage 4 gave you a multitude of personal rewards and personal growth. It sounds like it opened up a whole wide world of passion for you to love and appreciate.
That to me Sister is what life should be all about.
I am incredibly happy for you.
Maryanne aka Harriecanarie

harrie
05-28-2008, 11:31 PM
PS.....
Please do not, and I repeat, DO NOT downplay your luck and joy with all of us! Your enthusiasm is contagious and it brings joy to me just hearing it!

Wow, that must have been a great experience seeing the Dalai Lama in person!

Another ps here.... I really appreciate hearing how you make your time frames of reference for appreciating good health and life. That's great. I need to keep that in mind myself. Thanks.

The bike race coming up for you sounds awesome!! Good luck and keep us posted on the event!!

Fullofbeans, we have a lot in common. I absolultely love my athletics also. Reading what you are doing makes you my role model. I hope we can both stay friends and keep in contact.

Keep up the good work.
Aloha,
Maryanne

Lori R
05-29-2008, 05:29 AM
Thank you so much for sharing your good news.

Your journey has so many inspirational points that are valuable for everyone on this board.

#1. Demanding what is best for you from your Dr.
Congrats on pushing for drugs and scans!!! Camp out in the office for scans if that is what you feel is best for you. When they go to shut the doors and you are still sitting there with magazine in hand they might order a scan just to get you out of the office.

#2. Being Grateful for Each and Every Day
I too am living on the quarterly calendar. I have mixed emotions about living that way but...I do enjoy the little things in life that I used to breeze right past.

So FB....enjoy, continue to love life and of course I wish you many more "quarters" of an active, healthy life with friends and family.

Keep posting the good news!!! We'll be waiting for another good news post in 3 month.

Lori

chrisy
05-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Hey beans,
Life is definitely good! So glad you are doing so well. I know what you mean about living your life quarterly between scans. I used to call it getting a license to breathe for another 4 months!

fullofbeans
05-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks you to all of you for your encouragements it is lovely to hear and yes thank you for reminding me it is ok to write about it here. I actually hesitated because many have had bad news...but then I know that good news reminds me that there is hope of better time when things are not so well..

HarriCanarie off course we can be friend, that has been a bonus to get to know lovely people from various different place in the world..I have to say Hawaii sounds so well uh like it definitely ought to be cancer free;)!

Lori, it took me a while to adjust to the 4 months thing too simply because during my entire life it was about getting somewhere..studying, job, mortgage, wanting children bla bla bla.. so it is hard to reprogram yourself because your brain goes there automatically.. It took a while aswell to stop comparing my life with my friends but look at all that I have instead: People know that they should do that but I think that unless you are very wise, it does not come unless well.. you realise how beautiful life just for life itself because the odds are against you...

Jean
05-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Dear Fullofbeans,
The ODDS are NOW WITH YOU....just thrilled for you.
Enjoy every second.

Hugs,
jean

kk1
05-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Hey Beans, that brings such a smile to face. Keep it up. Yahoooo!

k

Leslie's sister
05-29-2008, 09:41 PM
what a great post beans. (I love your screen name!)

You keep living life to the fullest!

Reminds me of Tim McGraw's song......Live Like You were Dying. I so love that song. (I don't at all think that song is pessimistic. It means exactly what your post is saying, "live and plan on a 4 month basis" but LIVE)

So you keep on Sky Diving, Rocky Mountain Climbing...........

Lisa

harrie
05-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Fullofbeans...just wanted to share with you that I am also a runner. I am like a "mini-version" of you considering the long runs you go on! I only started running competitively during the past 4 yrs and have run in a couple of 5K, one 10K, and one 10 mile. The 10 mile was a killer for me! The 10K was mean because there were 3 lengthy hills....not to brag, but on that one I came in 3rd for the women's division! I wanted to post a pic of me with my metal, but I can't figure out how to reduce the size of my pic. I have not run in a race since my last surgery. Maybe someday again. Who knows....
Reading your information give me tons of encouragement.
Aloha,
Harieeeecanareeee