PDA

View Full Version : follow up testing

LynnC
05-26-2008, 01:20 PM
What follow up testing is recomended after an all clear Pet Scan? What will the doctor let you do if no symptoms of spreading? Just want to know nothing is going on.

Stage III B, Her 2 ++, chemo, radiation, mastomy

Sheila
05-27-2008, 06:12 AM
Lynn
It somewhat depends on the oncologists....soem will run a Pet or CT scan, bone san and brain MRI every year, some every 6 months, some only if you have symptoms, others refuse them. Some do tumor marker blood tests, some don't. You need to ask for what you are comfortable with, and aleways, if you notice something "different" that doesn't go away, (cough, pain, headache, dizziness, fatigue etc.) contact the Dr and get scanned. I would demand a brain MRI yearly, this type of cancer has a high incidence of brain mets, and if found sooner, the results are in our favor....we have had several members here get diagnosed with brain mets.
Hope this helps.

Ruth
05-27-2008, 07:41 AM
Lynn,

Every Onc. is a little different and mine is the type that goes on symptoms more so than testing...however, I did have tests at the end of my year of herceptin. Since then he would order tests only if something felt wrong (which luckily I haven't needed) ~ I do have 6 month mammograms on remaining breast and bloodwork done. Where are you in relation to treatment?

Hugs ~ Ruth

LynnC
05-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for your replies. Where am I in treatment at this point.
April 06 Started Herceptin and Taxol
Then Adrimycin & Cytoxen
Mastestomy Oct. 06
Radiation Nov. & Dec. '06
Jan. 07-Sept. 07 Herceptin
Oct. 07 clear Pet/Ct scan
Oncol. wants me back every 6 months now, but I think 3 is a better time. He once said I could have a CT scan every 6 month, so I'm asking for it tomorrow. I'm not sure a CT scan of what, whole body, or just chest area. And then one said yearly MRI of brain. I will be asking him about that also.
Thanks so much, Lynn

Joan M
05-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi Lynn,

It really depends on the oncologist. Mine was big on following up with scans but that's because I had positive lymph nodes.

Each situation is different.

Best, Joan

Ursula
05-28-2008, 12:32 AM
I’m wondering how common it is that there isn’t any symptoms of brain or liver mets? I know some women whose blood doesn’t show if their cancer is proceeding and therefore they demand scans at least once a year. Even so, Sheila described perfectly the situation how it is. For instance, my follow up protocol consist originally blood tests and mammogram 1, 3 and 5 year after the operation, but as a Stage IIIb I definitely need follow up more often!!! Therefore I demanded mammogram and blood tests every year but should I also ask brain scan or MRI, I keep wondering, knowing that the risk of brain mets is high. In one year follow up my mammogram was clear and CA 15-3 very low, all values (blood, liver and kidney) were excellent.

All the best!

LynnC
05-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Just returned from my oncologist visit. He was somewhat concern with a small lump by my scar. He said he was pretty sure it was scar tissue, but wanted testing. Will have a Pet/Ct, & biopsy next week. So I guess my question got answered this time about testing. Also had blood work done today.
I asked about brain mets being a concern. He said it would usually spread to bone or something close to original site before going to brain.
Has anyone had little lumps by thier scar that their doctor was concern about? But just was scar tissue.
_______
April 06 Started Herceptin and Taxol
Then Adrimycin & Cytoxen
Mastestomy Oct. 06
Radiation Nov. & Dec. '06
Jan. 07-Sept. 07 Herceptin
Oct. 07 clear Pet/Ct scan
May 08 start test for small lump

Yorkiegirl
05-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Lynn, yes I have a BIG lump that is on the scar line. I had PET Scan last year (June) and also a biopsy this past January. It has all been only scar tissue.
I do still have 3 month follow up's and blood work every 3 months. I am very comfortable with my schedule.
If any thing seemed out of whack my Onc most probably would have tests done.

Ruth
05-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Lynn ~ Me too. A bump not exactly on scar line but just a little below it. It is scar tissue and formed as a result of implant reconstruction but nonetheless was worrisome. Hope yours turns out OK.

Hugs ~ Ruth