PDA

View Full Version : will advil with avastin kill me?

SoCalGal
05-24-2008, 03:56 PM
I asked my onc who said it was okay "once in awhile". I took 2 advil on Thursday - it helped immensely. Can I take 2 more today? Or am I playing with fire? (the whole bleeding risk thing - I have had 2 rounds of avastin). My mouth hurts (a lot) from the stupid dental work on Thursday. Tylenol really isn't helping. Awaiting your advice.
Thanks.
Flori

Barbara H.
05-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi Flori,
I would call your doctor and see if you can have some painkillers that are stronger and do not cause bleeding. I would not take a chance medicating myself. Interestingly, I am not allowed to take tylenol on my trial because high liver enzymes.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

lizm100
05-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Flori-

Barbara is right, just call your doctor. You shouldn't be in pain when there are many prescription pain killers that can help you and not complicate things for you. I recently had to have surgery not related to my BC but to prevent any additional bleeding, I was told not to take any Advil/Motrin etc. Tylenol & Tylenol w/Codeine doesn't work on me, so I ended up using Percocets for a few days which helped the pain.

Liz

Bill
05-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Flori,,,,,,and all others, take your Tylenol and run to the nearest pier and fling it all into the ocean. I've had many oncs. tell me the stuff should be pulled off of the market. The liver has a hard time processing acetaminophen. Yes, discuss the pain control issue with your doc. Keep us posted, sweetheart. Love ya, Bill

Sheila
05-25-2008, 04:47 AM
Flori
I think Chrisy and I were the first 2 on this board to get Avastin....I was not allowed to even have dental work while on it...had to go off for 2 weeks before a root canal. The onc. also told me no Advil, Motrin, Aleve, Aspirin...only Tylenol, due to the bleeding tendencies. They ordered Tylenol #3 after my root canal and extraction...it took care of the pain just fine. I would check before taking too much Advil....remeber, it sits in the stomach, the stomach is where you have like a gajillion ( is that even a word) blood vessels....and you would be most likely to bleed...so be careful....I would call and ask for something stronger with Tylenol in it...and yes, as Bill said , Tylenol is hard on the liver, so try to limit it especially if you have any liver involvement. How has your B/P been on Avastin? Mine progressively got higher and higher, even with meds!
Hope you are feeling better by now Flori.

SoCalGal
05-25-2008, 09:55 AM
I can't stand other pain meds...but really miss my advil. I took a dose yesterday and it really helped. No bad side effects so far except that I could eat dinner. I have been having dental work all along. Am well into a crown replacement and have only to wait for the crown to be ready. I for sure did not recover like usual from the dental ordeal. Usually all discomfort is gone the next day. Here I am three days post and my jaw/tongue/gums etc are still sore. Oh well - a cake walk compared to other things - right?
Thanks for the advice. It would be nice if they had something definitive on anti-inflams. They really help this achy body:) Maybe I'll have to do less. HA.
Have a great day....I am going to see A Chorus Line today. And will try not to sing too loudly!

hutchibk
05-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Flori - listen to Sheila! Get you doc to call in the Tylenol#3, or how about Vicodin?... I don't want you to have some crazy incidental event that causes more problems than your treatement!!

Birthday sista - you and I are twins separated at birth, I had dental work done on Thursday, too. And my mouth hurts as well, much longer than usual. Luckily, I can still take Motrin...

Thinking about you. Have a great weekend.

SoCalGal
05-25-2008, 09:57 AM
And even weirder - we were posting at the same time! Maybe we are like bill-lee. Flori-da. LOL.

hutchibk
05-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Flori-Da... hahaha.

Sing your lungs out honey! Have fun. I'm hungry and going to to stuff my face and then ride my bike around the block. And maybe shoot my basketball in preparation of my struggling SPURS game against the dreaded LAKERS tonight.

UPDATE: Spurs didn't struggle last night... I guess my afternoon shoot-around helped us get over the hump, LOL.

lizm100
05-26-2008, 05:58 AM
Flori-

How about an over the counter topical pain killer for tooth pain or teething gel. Can't think of any other suggestions...but may be this would help take the edge off the pain especially b/4 bed.

Hope you find relief soon,
Liz