PDA

View Full Version : Turmeric/Curcumin

Faith in Him
05-24-2008, 03:36 PM
I was taking 500 mg a day during my two week chemo break after surgery. My blood work was fantastic during this time. I am afraid to take it now that I am back on chemo but plan on taking it again when I am done. How much are you taking?

Vanessa
05-24-2008, 09:53 PM
My doctor has okayed me taking tumeric during chemo. She said the are doing clinical trials on tumeric at M.D. Anderson and getting good results. I take 500 mg -2000mg. I do much better when I take it, however, sometimes I take breaks, just because I run out and forget and to buy more or just plain forget to take it. Sounds like it it working well for you.

sarah
05-25-2008, 02:10 AM
I hope you're taking it with food or it could burn the stomach. I take it also and suggest it to friends with cancer.
stay well, stay strong
sarah

sarah
05-25-2008, 02:13 AM
a question: how do you take it - all at once, over the day?
thanks
sarah

ElaineM
05-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi,
I take it too. It is supposed to be anti inflamatory. There was also some research and information regarding its benefits and use with Herceptin. I must have it saved on my computer somewhere. I will post it if I can find it.

Becky
05-25-2008, 02:53 PM
I take 550mg (one capsule) and take it after breakfast. I wish I had known about it while still on chemo as it has syngergistic effects, especially with taxanes.

With chemo, I got the go ahead with this as well as the fish oil (omega 3) and a multi but that was it. I did Herceptin alone so I really did the gamit with supplements for a variety of reasons then (including CoQ 10).

Go for it!

Remember that a nice curry meal can substitute and equals about 250 mg.

Jean
05-26-2008, 05:42 AM
Just a thought....to tag on....

I also cook with tumeric, I put two heaping tablespoons
into my rice.

Jean

ElaineM
05-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Hi,
Turmeric on rice sounds good. Has anyone tried it on Asian style noodles? That's very good. I will try it on rice and veggies. Speaking of CQ10----- it is supposed to help the heart. I have taken it for 9 1/2 years. I have taken Herceptin for over 7 1/2 years, so maybe it is helping prevent the possibility of heart problems from Herceptin.

ElaineM
05-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi,
I think these are some of the reference sources for tumeric and curcumin
http://www.lef.org/protocols/abstracts/abstr-022.html
http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-022f.shtml#curcumin
http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/full/62/13/3868
http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcls-txt/t-prtcl-024.html
I think M. D. Anderson has some references to it too.
They have a whole section about various supplements
and cancer on the website.

Julie2
05-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Usage of curcumin during chemo looks controversial. Is it better to avoid during chemo?

Julie

ElaineM
05-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi,
My doctor gave me some results of a scientific study about turmeric/curcumin and Herceptin. According to the document it may enhance Herceptin, but I never read anything about its effect on chemo. I guess we have to decide for ourselves whether or not we want to try it. I posted some results and a place to find out where to get more information about tumeric earlier.

Sherryg683
05-30-2008, 08:27 PM
I have been taking 2000 mg curcumin daily since ending chemo 2 years ago. I have been on Herceptin ever since. Since I have been NED since, I am afraid to change anything that I may be doing right..sherryg683

Mary Jo
05-31-2008, 05:57 AM
Is tumeric and curcumin the same thing or 2 different things? Is it combined in a capsule or you take one tumeric and one curcumin?

Thank you........

MJ

Faith in Him
05-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Hi Mary Jo,

My bottle is labled Turemic/Curcumin so I am thinking they are the same thing. Does anyone else know for sure?

Tonya

Becky
05-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Tumeric is the actual herb. Curcumin the the component in the tumeric that gives food the food its yellow color. For example, tumeric (powdered) is one of the ingredients in curry powder. Curry powder is yellow because of the tumeric (which contains the yellow "molecule" curcumin). It is curcumin that is the active.

Another way to look at it is tea is good for you. You drink tea. The actives in tea that make it good for you is the ECG (whatever - I forget the letters but you know what I mean)!!

You eat tumeric but it is the curcumin in tumeric that is the good stuff.

madubois63
06-01-2008, 03:38 AM
I add tumeric to my homemade chicken soup stock - gives it a great golden color. I also add it to my red sauce - no one knows it's there except me. When I can remember, I sprinkle just a tad on my salads.

Mary Anne in TX
06-01-2008, 07:44 AM
My husband adds it to his oatmeal along with garlic, red pepper, honey, and I can't remember what else. Looks and smells awful, but seems to work for his heart!!! I avoid him for about an hour, but surely am glad he's so healthy! ma

RobinP
06-01-2008, 08:37 AM
I love curry chicken and tumeric spices in cooking and I supplement with tumeric tablets when I lack curry in my diet.

Kim in CA
06-01-2008, 08:53 AM
I would like to take curcumin, but it gives me terrible ( I mean within minutes) bloating and you know what! Any suggestions ?

Kim

ElaineM
06-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi,
I add a little tumeric/curcumin to vegetarian chili and to Asian noodle dishes, especially the ones with soup. Nobody knows. Maybe we can add a little of it to some pasta dishes that are eaten with tomato sauce. I have to try that. I also read that we can add a little blackstrap molasses to chili to add more iron, calcium and potassium, but I never tried that.
I wonder if a couple chewable digestive enzymes available at most health food stores would help the folks who have indigestion after eating things with a little spice! They help me when I have a little indigestion.

ElaineM
06-01-2008, 12:23 PM
hi,
I forgot to mention that I add tumeric/curcumin to hummus and falafal. If I can add it to falafal it can probably be added to homemade vegetarian and other burgers. Humm. I will try that.

Faith in Him
06-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Here's a recipe I came across recently.

Fragrant Rice:
2 cups basmati rice
3 tbsp pine nuts
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, finely chopped
3 tbsp raisins
1/2 tsp turmeric

soak the rice for an hour, then drain. toast the pine nuts in the oil, then add the onions and suate' them until soft and golden. Add raisins and turmeric, stir and then add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed. Simmer for about 20 mintues.

I know sometimes drs do not want us taking supplements with chemo but are ok if certain ingredients show up in our foods. Just thought I would share.

I wonder how many mg is in 1/2 tsp of turmeric?

Tonya

Vic
06-10-2008, 10:18 AM
I loved reading all this about Turmeric, which I started taking last year for inflammation when I hurt my neck. I use Solaray Turmeric (root extract 300mg., guaranteed 95%, 285 mg., Curcumin) and I take two a day.

Plus, like some of you, I add it to soups, even oatmeal along with cumin on occasion. Hey, with what we've been through, we're allowed to be creative in the kitchen and everywhere else.

Enjoy your day,

Vicki