PDA

View Full Version : As we light up our BBQ....

Jean
05-23-2008, 12:54 PM
over this holiday weekend....

Please take time to honor the men and women of the U.S. military who have made the ultimate scarifice in defence of our country.

Leslie's sister
05-23-2008, 01:11 PM
....you are so right. It is easy to get excited over a three day weekend and lose sight over why we have it. I love the quote from John Stuart Mill

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

Thank you to our military. Freedom certainly isn't free.

Lisa

Believe51
05-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Semper Fi, dear friend....will do.>>Believe51

StephN
05-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Good reminder.

Anyone remember when it was called "Decoration Day?"

The flag will go out for all to see.

We don't have a barbeque, we use the oven broiler. It is not a "French" thing!
Also, don't appreciate being "fumed out" by some of our neighbors. Others have better outdoor grills and we only have the meat smell from them.

Sheila
05-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Jean
You are so right....let us pay our respects to those who lay down their lives for us everyday, those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, and our loved ones that are gone. Memorial day is about rememberance...may we also remember all those warriors who have fought and lost their battle from our site...my life has been changed by knowing them.

hutchibk
05-23-2008, 03:05 PM
I love all branches of the American Military. I love our country, problems, warts and all. I love our flag and proudly display it at various times on my car, house, person, etc. I love holidays that celebrate our fortunate and charmed lives, and those who have given their lives in service of our country and its citizens.

I don't do flame-cooked BBQ either, Steph... due to the carcinogens that are caused by high temperature cooking.
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/heterocyclic-amines

Have a great weekend everyone!!

CindyE
05-23-2008, 03:45 PM
God bless our soldiers and their families.

Bill
05-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Amen, Jean, you are spot on, as usual! Lisa, I love that quote you posted. Steph, what's wrong with the scent of a finely-seared piece of meat wafting into your yard? Maybe you guys just need to go out and buy a better grill than your neighbors and show them how it should be done. I love our military! Whether you agree with the politics or not, these brave men and women are willing to lay their lives down so that we can sleep comfortably in our beds at night. God bless 'em.

StephN
05-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Yes, Bill. Agree with your sentiments about sleeping safe at night (as long as we live in a decent area of our cities).

Nothing wrong with the MEAT smell - just don't like the charcoal lighter to start the coals. The people who have gas grills are better tolerated! When it is hot we have the French doors open to the back to cool us off and that is where all the smells come in. No air conditioning needed in this part of the country. Means lower power bills...