PDA

View Full Version : Hysterectomy/ Her2 Pos?

Unregistered
05-21-2008, 03:05 PM
I was diagnosed a year ago with Stage II breast cancer node negative, est/pro -/- and her2 pos. I completed 4 chemos, 6 weeks of radiation and will complete a year of Herceptin in August. I went yesterday to my gynocologist for the yearly check-up and she told me that I need a hysterectomy because the gene can produce an increased risk of developing cancer in the ovaries or cervix. She also said that my daughters should be checked for the her2 gene. My oncologist never said any thing about an increased risk of cervical or ovarian cancer and he also said the the gene is not hereditary. I think the gynocologist might be mistaken; has anyone ever heard this?

Donna

kcherub
05-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Donna,

Yes, your GYN is incorrect, or at the least--misinformed. If she doesn't know the basic facts, you need to get a new GYN. It is the BC gene (1 or 2, I can't remember) that increases your risk for ovarian cancer. However, you have to have GENETIC testing to determine if you carry it. How old are you, and how old are your daughters? Just to let you know, there are millions of women that do NOT have either of the BC genes that DO get breast cancer.

Being HER2+ isn't a big indicator of whether or not you are more at risk for ovarian cancer. ER+ can be, depending upon your age. However, you are not ER+. Some women who are carriers opt to have the ovaries and the fallopian tubes removed (after age 40). Most do not need to the uterus removed. There are issues with not having ovaries, hence the after age 40 for younger women diagnosed with BC.

Your GYN has pissed me off today. :)

Take care,

Bill
05-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi Donna, I can't help here, only to let you know that it sounds like Krista is right on the ball, although a bit reserved. Krista, why don't you let us know how you really feel? (wink, wink) Please keep us posted, Donna. Thoughts and prayers, Bill

Jean
05-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Just had my GYN check up yesterday.
Donna - what gene are you referring to? The BRCA 1
and the BRCA 2.

These genes are mutations and those women that carry the gene do have a higher risk of developing breast and ovarian cancer. It is a 50/50 chance, do note that if you do carry the BRCA 1/or/2 gene it does not mean you will get
breast cancer/or/ovarian cancer, it means your risks are greater. But those women who are BRCA postive and do get breast cancer may at that point consider to have the ovaries removed.

Maybe your onc. meant that HER 2 is NOT hereditary
and you became confused with the BRCA gene?

In any event - you must be tested to determine if you carry the gene. Also I just had this conversation (yesterday )with my GYN and we discussed ovarian cancer. Yes, those women who have been dx with Breast Cancer do have a
SLIGHT increase risk for ovarian cancer, but certainly not a risk to warrent a hysterectomy. I had this very conversation with my dr. as I was concerned and wanted to be certain about this issue. Ovarian cancer is a very silent disease so it is vital to have regular checkups. I had (for the first time) a pelvic
ultra sound performed and I plan I having one each year along with my regular exam from now on. My dr. assured me that even though there is a SLIGHT increase in risk since I was dx. with bc, it does NOT mean surgery must be performed. Like everything else - we must keep a watchful eye
and continue to have our check ups.

Is there a history of ovarian cancer in your family that would certainly alter the situation. Otherwise you should relax....

Regards,
Jean

harrie
05-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Donna,
I carry the BRCA2 gene and therefore I had an oophorectomy to remove my ovaries and fallopian tubes. I still have my uterus. The BRCA2 gene increases risk of ovarian cancer.
Maryanne

Jean
05-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Personal history of breast cancer
If you have had breast cancer, you also have an increased risk of developing ovarian cancer. There are several reasons for this. Some of the reproductive risk factors for ovarian cancer may also increase breast cancer risk. Also, if you have a strong family history of breast cancer, you may have inherited a mutated BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene You have a strong family history if one or more of your close relatives age 50 or younger has or had ovarian cancer.
Note: This is posted from the American Cancer Society.
Revised: 01/19/2008

jean

Paty
05-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Donna,

The girls are right, I believe your gyn has mixedup information. I believe you should ask your onc about the gene, I am sure he will support what our sisters have said here.

Unregistered
05-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Hello everyone -
My name is Digna and I am 36 years old. I was diagnosed with BC in 2006, a week after my 35th birthday. I am a slight stage-2 BC due to the size of tumor. HER2NEU positive. I had 7 1/2 weeks of radiation, just finished herceptin in April 2008. In February, I had hysterectomy due to cyst forming on my ovaries. Through it all, I managed to work full-time. I tried to stay home while going through chemo and lasted only a week. I was feeling sorry for myself and cried the whole time I was at home. So, I thought that being around people may take my mind off my personal situation and it did. It was hard at first, I didn't even want to see anyone, which was hard because I manage 220 employees and they all have problems, some are worse than what I was going through. Work was therapy for me!!

Anyway, I wanted to find out information about what food to avoid to prevent from BC form coming back. I am now on remission and I feel like a ticking time bomb and don't really know what to do. Is it normal to feel like you are just there existing... It could be hormonal, but I am just not sure. I hate to ask my oncology about it, I feel like I am whining or what have you. I was fine while I was going through the treatment, it's the post-treatment that got me down. Any suggestions! You can email me at deethomas1071@yahoo.com. Thank you so much!!

schoolteacher
05-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Digna,

I worked through my neoadjuvant therapy too. Like you, I found that if I was working I did not feel as sorry for myself. I also have a cyst on my right ovary that measures over 6 cm, and I know that I am going to have to have a hysterectomy at some point. How long did you stay out of work for your hysterectomy?

I have been trying to avoid sugar and eat 5 to 6 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. The ladies on this board have told me to drink a lot of water also. I am estrogen positive, so I try to avoid foods with soy. This has been really hard to do, since most of our foods now have soy as an additive.

Amelia