PDA

View Full Version : what's FEC 100?

sarah
05-20-2008, 10:03 AM
A friend just started on FEC 100. what is it? She's having a terrible time and she's done everything including cisplatine which is supposed to be the toughest.
Is it a chemo she could take once a week instead of every 3 weeks? I took Taxotere every week and I think it saved me a lot of bad side effects by not having a stronger dose every 3 weeks.
Any suggestions of what might help her - severe headache, vomiting, sever body pains, she also just got over shingles.
what can she eat?
any ideas appreciated.
sarah

norwegian
05-20-2008, 10:23 AM
I had FEC100 4 times every 3rd week. Usually one gets FEC60, but if you have an agressive type of cancer, you get FEC100. It is 3 different types of drug, - but stronger- and hopefully more effective. The side effects are absolutely there, but your friend will get through, I'm sure!!
Water with gas and lemon taste was good for me, - it helped me to get the air out and made med less sick. Your friend is not alone,- we are many women behind her, holding her. Give her my hugs!

norwegian
05-20-2008, 10:30 AM
what did I eat? I bought a kind of mix at the drugstore, which gave me all the vitamins and minerals one need in one meal. That was an easy way to "eat" (drink) and I didn't miss any important vitamins. But- food wasn't really a big deal....

caya
05-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Sarah,

I had FEC 100 - it is 3 chemos given one after another - Fluorouacil (also known as 5FU), Epirubicin (an anthracyline), Cyclophosphamide. This is a very common regime used in Canada, Great Britain and other commonwealth countries. I did it every 3 weeks, which I believe is the standard protocol. I did 3 x FEC100, then 3 x Taxotere. Then I had my year of every 3 weeks Herceptin.

I ate mostly mild vegetable soups, applesauce, bananas, soda crackers and drank gingerale for the first week after the infusion. Did the onc. not prescribe some kind of anti-nausea med for her? She should get one and take it immediately after the infusion, regularly, whether she feels nauseous or not - It's best to take it consistently, this really helped me.

all the best
caya

sarah
05-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Hello Caya and Norweigan,
Thank you for the information about the drugs and suggestions of what to eat etc.
My friend is allergic to Taxanes unfortunately so I don't think she'll get the Taxotere - maybe Abraxane being slightly different might work????
She's got IBC and the bc is in the ganglions and some tumors in the lungs.
I've emailed her your advice and will stop by to see her this afternoon.
Caya, I was born in Victoria BC but I now live in France.
I am so appreciative of this site and for its wonderful community that makes me feel I have a loving, knowledgeable family out there to help me and my friends get through this ordeal
hugs, love and good health and happiness
sarah