PDA

View Full Version : What's a MUGA scan like?

Terri B
05-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Hi ladies!

I will be having one of these soon, and I'm wondering what to expect. What kind of machine is it? How long does it take? Are there contrast dyes involved?

I've had the MRI's, the CT's and the Bones scanned. I don't like having to lie completely still for ANYTHING. It makes me anxious. I can deal with it, but I'm a wiggler.

You guys are most knowlegable. Give me your wisdom!!!

basset girl
05-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Terri, when they did mine it was like getting an ultrasound of the heart area. They just put the ultrasound goo on you and then just rub the ultrasound thing around the heart area. Took about 15 or 20 minutes. The worst part for me was holding my arm above my head not too long after my masectomy.

Terri B
05-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Beautiful! That's exactly what I needed to know!

Thanks Basset girl!

Sheila
05-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Terri
It sounds to me like Nancy is describing an echo...which can also be used to check the LVEF....with a Muga, they do inject contrast dye, much like a CT and you do have to lie still....ask for the echo, cheaper and easier....just hard to read if you have had L sided reconstruction with an implant. If you get anxious during these scans, ask your dr. to order an Ativan...just have to have someone with you to drive you home!.
Hope this helps.

basset girl
05-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Oops, sorry Terri. Sheila is right. They did echos on me when I was on Herceptin. Ask for the echo. I never had the Muga.

Terri B
05-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Well, okay then. I hope i get to choose!

I have expanders in currently, no implants yet. And I've only been filled to about an A cup, so there is not much "obstruction" there (giggles)!

When I went through my MRI, that one was the hardest. The gave me xanax and I didn't care after that!

The bone scan was hard because they wrapped me up and told me i couldn't move. That's very annoying and when i start "thinking" about it, it brings on a mild anxiety attack!
Heart starts thumping, I start breathing fast.

Am i weird??

CoachPlayWin
05-15-2008, 02:13 PM
I've had several Muga's. They start out by injecting a chemical into your vein which is "sticky" to attact the radioactive chemical to your red blood cells.Then you sit for 15-20 min. Then, they inject the radioactive stuff and take you into the room for the test. It lasts about 12 minutes and you basically just lie there while it takes pictures of your heart beating. The machine is positioned close to your body, but there is nothing resembling claustrophobic conditions. I usually doze off. It's pretty easy. The worst part is getting stuck, but hey we're all used to that by now, right?! Good luck to you.

Terri B
05-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Stuck?!? Stuck how??!?

OMG... my heart is starting to beat fast....

Sheila
05-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Treei
With a needle to inject the dye....just ask your doc and see if an echo is OK...some prefer it!

swimangel72
05-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi Terri - no one gave me a choice - my onc just told me I had to get a Muga scan, so down the hall I went. They injected something into my arm, then I had to lay flat on my back with my left arm over my head. It wasn't claustrophobic at all.....but my arm got tired in that position - fortunately they gave me little breaks. They took 3 scans, each one lasted about 15 minutes. Between the scans I could put my arm down and rest it......even though it was resting against my forehead, it got very tired. Fortunately it wasn't my "bad" arm on the mastectomy and SNB side......no way could I have held it in that position. But my Muga was soon after my surgery - so hopefully you're feeling more recovered and the arm position won't bother you. My MUGA score was a 68% which they said was excellent. (Somehow, I feel like I'm in school and only 100% is excellent - but what do I know?)

Good luck Terri - let us know how it goes!

CoachPlayWin
05-15-2008, 02:31 PM
I've heard that sometimes they have you lie with your arm over your head, but that's not the way they do mine. Weird, isn't it, how different these things can be? Maybe it's different types of equipment. Don't worry about getting stuck...it's just a little pin-prick!

Terri B
05-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Oh no!! Ha ha haha!

When you said "stuck" I thought you meant "stuck in the scanning machine" or something like that. Never mind me. I'm practicing for "chemo brain". I do not fear needles, thank goodness!

Swimee, I have recovered nicely. Both "zippers" are closed, all scabs gone. I just have a bunch of extra skin (mostly under my arms. PS said he can take care of that later). I have been "filled" to an adolescent cup size. Hey, I'm not complaining! I think it's cute that my boobs are smaller than my 13 year old!

Speaking of stuff to make you smile, my 13 year old said to me "Mom, now that you have NO boobs, you look REALLY pregnant".

Thanks kid.

Jackie07
05-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Just wanted to add something before the 'injection'.

I think the staff 'drew' a very small amount of my blood first, mixed it with the radioactive material, then 'injected' it back to my vein.

Also, I think the instruction says not to have food (six hours beforehand) nor liquid (3 hrs?) before the scan.

abitjaded
05-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Had three MUGAs. The scan room was bright. They just bring a large televising size monitor over your chest (heart). Did not take long at all, other than the injection and waiting for it to diffuse. Not confining at all. But boy was I hungry each time. Had to listen to my gut growl during the scans.

Carla

mts
05-16-2008, 02:04 PM
MUGA is not at all confining--- the tech stood and walked around hte room within clear sight. You just lay on a gurney like bed and have a huge disc that resemles the starship Enterprise hoover above your upper body... Plenty of room above you to see the room all around. Just get the pillow under your knees and chillax-
It was very comfortable and soothing. Thye played ENYA whilst I got scanned...
maria

KelliD.
05-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Hey Terri! I'm so glad you asked about this, as I will prob be having one soon, also. Also wanted to tell you that I live about 2 hrs. away from you- in Jonesboro. How cool is that?! Hope to hear from you!! Hugs & Blessings, Kelli

Terri B
05-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Wow, I have sisters here in Arkansas!!

SWEET!! Well, good luck with starting chemo, i will be right there soon.

Thanks for all the advise on the scans. Like i said, it's not really the "claustrophobia" of the scans, it's the "YOU CAN'T MOVE AT ALL OR WE'RE GONNA HAVE TO START ALLLLLLLLL OVER AGAIN!!!"

That's alot of pressure on a girl.

Bill
05-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Terri, you are so funny, and so strong. I thought stuck meant the same thing you did! And kids do say the damnest things, don't they?