PDA

View Full Version : port removal

Blanche
05-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi I'm having my port removed tommorrow and I was wondering if any one knows along this procedure will take, I forgot to ask my breast surgeon. My daughter and I want to make a day of it by shopping and celabrating but I don't want to leave her for long she is 16. Blanche

BethC
05-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Blanche,
Mine took about 45 minutes but I had a whole bunch of scar tissue. It was no biggie at all. She used a local and there was a tugging sensation but no pain. And no pain later. Congratulations and happy shopping!
Beth

Joan M
05-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Blanche, I had my port removed in the hospital and was put under anesthesia. The actual procedure was only about 30 minutes but by the time I checked in and out, I was there a few hours. Joan

NanaKaren
05-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Blanche,
Mine took about 30 minutes in the office. She just used a local anesthetic and pulled and tugged as some tissue had grown around it. I did have pain afterwards, so I would wait about an hour before you decided shopping was on the agenda. Nana Karen

Blanche
05-15-2008, 06:35 AM
thank you everybody now i don't need to call the doctor, i'm sure my daughter can keep herself busy between the cell phone and ipod for an hour (ha ha) and I think we'll do a little shopping before this way I'll be on a little schedule which might reduce spending ( I can only hope) thank you all for your responses this web site is truly a blessing for me. Thanks Blanche

basset girl
05-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Blanche, I had mine taken out about a month ago. Was at the hospital a couple of hours. No much pain at all afterwards. Felt really happy from the demeral though all afternoon!! Was a great feeling to get it out.

BonnieR
05-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Blanche, I was not clear if you were having this proceedure done in hospital or doctor's office. How did it turn out?
My surgeon tells me it will be an office proceedure when mine needs removal.
Hope yours went well.

Blanche
05-17-2008, 05:21 AM
Hi Bonnie, yes my was done in the hospital and it did only take about 45 minutes, with no pain. I love my breast surgeon so conversation was endless and I feel happy about removal. My daughter also enjoyed her day we ate at a sidewalk cafe and I treated her to a couple trendy outfits somehow it was really a gift more me just making her happy. thanks for asking BLanche

BonnieR
05-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Glad it went so well. I like the idea of eating and shopping afterwards too!
It sounds as though you just had local anesthesia, then, since you were talking! My surgeon said it is easier to remove than to install (easy for HER to say!) therefore it is an office proceedure. What sort of port did you have? Mine is a Bard.
I would like to hear other's experience with this too.
Thanks Blanche.

atdec05
05-18-2008, 10:52 AM
My port removal was done in the OR, as my surgeon said "just in case". I had it almost 2 years, so I'm sure it could have gotten attached to some surrounding skin, etc. Plus, when she had done a biopsy in her office it had bled a lot, so I think she was wisely being safe.

I had no discomfort afterwards.

- Anna

swimangel72
05-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi - I'm just wondering (I just got my port in this month) - when they remove it, do they go through the same 2 inch incision they used to install it? I hate the thought of yet ANOTHER scar!