PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin without chemo studies-need info!

lizm100
05-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Does anyone know of any published reliable studies of the "effectivness" of Herceptin without chemo? Especially for for early stage breast cancer. I am seeing my oncologist on Thursday, May 15th this doctor told me that she does fell comfortable giving Herceptin alone without reliable studies. She will not entertain chemo for me. (I don't need another opinion, I've already had 10 oncologist opinions and 1 radiation oncologist opinion who all say no chemo/Herceptin for me because they all feel that the risks outweigh the benefits for me). This doctor is known to be agressive in treatment and open minded if I can show her proof. She told me to bring in any studies to the appt., if I can find any.... I'll be done with radiation on May 20th and am starting to feel very anxious/nervous if I did enough despite what every doctor I've consulted with told me. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.
Liz

dejaboo
05-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Ah, Liz. I wish I knew of a Study.
I want the study too to show to my Onco!

Maybe someone will have something...

Lani
05-13-2008, 10:09 PM
for metastatic breast cancer. It is widely cited and was by Dr Vogel of Florida.
It obviously does not apply to you as you are seeking adjuvant therapy for early nonmetastatic bc.

The problem is that clinical trials are set up to add something to the standard of care as they feel to do less would rob the trial participants of their best chance of curing their cancer and be immoral. So it is very hard to see if less will be just as good.

From the Vogel trial, the results cited were not as good as combining herceptin and chemotherapy for her2+ bc and resistance was inevitable(but again this was in those with metatastic bc)

Hopeful
05-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Here is a link to a study of neoadjuvant Herceptin, where patients who had not previously had chemo were given Herceptin without chemo prior to surgery: http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/full/10/17/5650

I think there is more than one study that looked at it, but this is the one I could most easily find. If I can find the links to any others, I will edit the post.

Hopeful

runtolive
05-14-2008, 06:58 AM
http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00509769?term=dm1&rank=4&show_locs=Y#locn

ask your doctor about a clinical trial of herceptin dm1 ..

its herceptin with a toxin attached..

many women on this forum are now using it with greater success than regular herceptin + chemo..

run to live

Lani
05-14-2008, 11:34 PM
I believe lizm100 was asking "especially for early stage bc"

As far as I am aware herceptin-DM1 trials are only for those with metastatic bc

Alice
05-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Hi,
I did not see a signature along with your post and I am just curious as to your stage and specifics of your diagnosis? I think the specifics of your cancer would have a lot to do with the treatment plan.
Alice

lizm100
05-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Well, I'll be of to my oncologist's appt. shortly.
Thank you to all those that responded to my post. I'm new to this forum but I've already learned that ALL of you are truly a wonderful caring group. Wish me luck;+)

Liz

Sandsam
05-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi Liz
I have a similar diagnosis as you. Early stage BC, stage 1, grade 1, er+, pr+, her2 +. no family history. My oncologist here in New Zealand and those he has consulted with all agreed that treatment (chemo/herceptin) is not necessary given it is early stage, I've had my breast removed and no nodes (17) affected. I was prescribed tamoxifen however I had terrible side effects and made the decision with my oncologist to stop taking it. I too have struggled, as everything you read about her2 states about its agressiveness. Seek as many opinions as you can and ask many questions so that your treatment is best option for your BC.Take care
Sandra