PDA

View Full Version : All this for a Colonoscopy!

StephN
05-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Hello Everyone -
Just sitting here with a lump in my stomach after seeing that our dear Carol H has earned her wings. But knowing that her family is safe and in good hands helps. She did not give up easily, which is what her children will remember.

Yesderday was my COLONOSCOPY, which I put off from last year due to all my troubles with a very sick father. "Clean scope" was what stuck in my foggy mind. Not even one little, bitty polyp to take out. I did go into bradycardia or lowered heart rate (knew what it was as my dad would do that after his heart surgery) during the procedure and after.

What woke me during the procedure was a nurse pressing hard on my belly and the doctor telling her to "keep pressing." Ow, I said. Being short waisted, the air they have to put in to make room for the scope was pressing on my vagus nerve which affects the heart. So she was trying to press some out!

When I was in the recovery period my belly was still hurting quite a bit, and again my monitor started beeping as my heart rate dropped. They called code on me as the doctor did not immediately answer. I got a shot of Atropine which brought my heart rate back up almost instantaneously. I was pale and clammy and felt woozy before the shot (they kindly used my port for the whole procedure).

They called my hubby in right after that and he sat with me till I could drink something and walk a little without getting dizzy again. They gave me pure Simethecone to put in a little water and drink. This is an ingredient in Gas-Ex, but this worked even better. I took it again last night and slept quite well.

Almost back to normal today and eating little bits at a time. Just thought I would share this. They tried to tell me just before the procedure that the prep was the worst part, but with me you never know!

Mary Jo
05-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Geez Steph....You weren't kidding were you? "All this for a colonoscopy?" Wowza!! All that "drama" would have freaked me out royally and it would be a long time coming (if it were me) that I'd have one of those again.

Happy your getting back to yourself today.http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif (that image seemed appropriate after what you've went through http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon12.gif)

Mary Jo

Jackie07
05-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Glad you are O.K. now. What an ordeal! Your posting should be a required reading for all the medical staff in the operation room (as well as the prep room).

tricia keegan
05-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Steph you were almost earning wings yourself by the sound of it! :)
I'm glad you're home and resting now, I've never had this test and now I hope I never do! Sounds like you took it in your stride though but it must have been a scary moment. So glad you're okay.

Mary Anne in TX
05-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Steph....my word, girl! What a deal. Glad you're tough and doing good now! No wings for you! No way! ma

Bill
05-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Wow, Steph, that does sound scary, and it shows how tough you really are to share it so nonchalantly. "Yeah, they tried to call code on me, but I wasn't havin' none of that." You beat back the beast, AGAIN! What an awesome warrior you are, and such an inspiration to others. Best wishes, Bill

Soccermom
05-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Steph,
YOU are ONE TOUGH warrior woman!! Thank G-d you bounce back so well. Take care and rest for a bit ..OK?!
Hugs,Marcia

Joy
05-04-2008, 06:54 AM
that wasn't the birthday present I bet you asked for. You are even more my hero now Steph and that says a lot! Enjoy your special day and I wish you nothing but greatness for your new year!!!

Barbara H.
05-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Wow! You really had a bad experience. I almost died once when given Atropine so that wouldn't have been an option for me. I am always really nauseous when I am put under so I try to avoid it. Sorry to hear that you went through that.
Barbara H.

StephN
05-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks everyone for your caring thoughts. Did not mean to sound "nonchalant" about my experience, just trying to get it down in a concise way without a lot of chatter.

Funny that I never felt my life was in danger even when they told me upon terminating the procedure that my heart rate dropped the first time. The second time, they really went into action as it was down to 40 with blood pressure also dropped. I noted they also had a Crash Cart nearby if needed.

I had every confidence with the staff there as the gastro doc is a full professor/surgeon at the university and the nurse used to assist my brain surgeon. A couple of the other nurses also assisted Dr. Hickman with my port replacement. When you trust your body to a group of people naturally the ideal is to have no anxiety about their competence.

All through my long bout with breast cancer I have never felt that my "time" was near. Don't know if that is just de-Nile, but the life force seems to stay strong with me.

chrisy
05-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Good grief girl! You sure know how to make things exciting! Glad things came out ok, tho.

unregistered
05-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi,
All I can say is good grief !! Your experience should be required study for all gastro intestinal folks and their assistants. I am glad you are doing better.
ElaineM
http://langetc.tripod.com/elaine.html

Bill
05-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Sorry, Steph, maybe "nonchalantly" was the wrong word to use. Your confidence and fearlessness just came through in your post. Your time is not near and you knew it. Thanks for being you.

Chelee
05-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Steph, So much for being responsible and making sure you got your colonoscopy which darned near did you in. That's unbelievable girl. Pretty darned scary if you ask me.
Actually I am glad you brought this up because I am very short waisted myself and my lungs are already comprised as it is. I had problems when I had my ooph in recovery. They pumped all the gas in me and it pushed on my lungs and I was having alot of problems breathing. (Scary) I was put on oxygen and was not allowed any pain meds because it affected my breathing. I was misrable. Lungs felt awful for a good week or more.

I was just going to set up my colonoscopy but I will make SURE I go speak to the doctor first before its done to make sure I don't run into problems like I did with my ooph...or like you did. I had no idea they pump gas in you for that procedure too. :( I am SO GLAD you shared that with us. You may of just saved me a serious problem. All I know is your one tough cookie. I am so glad things worked out and those doctors were on top of things so quickly. I can't believe how calm you sounded about the whole ordeal...you amaze me. Thank goodness everything worked out ok. I'm sure glad you won't be needed another colonoscopy for a very LONG time. :)

Chelee

StephN
05-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi Chelee -
Had lunch with a nurse friend and we talked about what happened with the bradycardia. She said that happened to her when she was given a spinal too high when about to have knee surgery. She had to get the Atropine as well.

So it looks like there are several ways that the bradycardia can be brought on, which is why they stick on the monitor leads and have a nurse just to watch the patient.

Hope all goes smooth as silk with your colonoscopy, and if it is a good one, you don't need to go back for a LONG time!