PDA

View Full Version : medical evidence for weight gain with hormonal therapies?

karen z
04-21-2008, 08:05 AM
I have heard much anecdotal evidence regarding weight gain while on Tamoxifen or an AI but am unclear as to whether there is actually any solid medical evidence of this side effect. There are so many factors contributing to weight gain in individuals going through certain types of treatment (e.g., chemo) as well as other physical and psychological factors that may be play (lower levels of energy, depression, etc.). Can anyone provide information about medical articles to read that relate to this topic?
Best,
Karen

mts
04-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Karen-

There have been numerous studies but no conclusive evidence that hormonal therapies inevitably promote weight gain...
In my humble opinion, the hormonal therapies usually coincide with menopause and that in itself usually causes weight gain... as well as lack of physical activity during treatment too. As for emotional issues ? That goes without studies... I mean, show me a cancer patient that does not develop some level of depression !!! There have been studies on how imagery and positive thinking may affect treatment and outcome... everyone is different. Many on this board use different ways to cope... either through prayer, the metaphysical, imagery...even psychotropic meds...you name it. But one thing is for sure- everyone handles it differently regardles of what studies may show.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_2_1x_Breast_Cancer_Weight_Gain.asp

If you google "tamoxifen weight gain" you will get a buffet of readings on this subject. I know many of us on this site have not gained an ounce and others have packed the pounds on (I was 150 before cancer and now I am 185 lbs). The pounds just jumped on me after radiation. But they all showed up in the upper body. I am now an apple with asparagus legs. I think this is what I would have looked like (sans excersise) even if cancer were never in the picture.

Maria

karen z
04-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Maria,
Thanks very much for your reply and the link to the article you sent along. My impression of what is out there fits with what you are saying and I do think that there are many contributing factors for weight gain, when it happens. Given the "instant menopause" for many of us as well as the chemo, fatigue, stress, and sometimes depression- there are a lot of factors working against getting back to a healthier weight. For those that have gained weight but have managed to get it off after treatment, I would love to hear what worked best.
Thanks again,
Karen

Becky
04-21-2008, 07:19 PM
I also think the weight gain (from natural menopause, chemopause and/or adding an antihormonal too) is that the body is CRYING out for more estrogen. Our bodies need it and want it badly. So... another way to get some more is to add body fat (as fat also manufactures estrogen). Also, at least the natural time for menopause is about 50 yrs old, our metabolism's are slowing. This is usually due to loss of muscle. So, walking for calorie burn and strength training to maintain or add some muscle (for a higher all day calorie burn as muscle burns more calories per hour than fat) is the way to go.

I walk (did run - long story, bad injury (recent)) and do floor exercises. I am reading about and learning about race walking (as my last run was Sunday, April 13 so I have the aerobic capacity for racewalking - need a go ahead from my Sports Medicine doc but it should be ok as there is no pounding with racewalking (will try this in a 5K Fun Run/Walk that I was supposed to run on June 1. If you can run and you can walk I would suppose I can race walk!

It is a stuggle - the weight issue but I lost 35 lbs and have kept it off for over 3 yrs now. I need to lose 10 more but just can't budge. But staying the same is good.

Watching the calories (go online and link in a calorie calculator to find out how many you need just to go about daily life - its less than you think - then add in exercise and subtract food). If you have a stable weight right now, just subtracting 100 calories a day (eat less or walk one mile) will make you lose 10 lbs per year. I am frustrated because I have already done the quickie eliminations. These are: no milk in coffee, no butter on bread or veggies, no soda, limited sweet treats or chips etc, watch everything. Park car far away. Take the stairs. It adds up. When I was 25, I could just watch for 2 weeks and lose 7 or 8 lbs. Goodbye to that now!

Maybe we should ask Joe to create a Diet and Exercise tips section where we could discuss supplements too!

karen z
04-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Becky,
Thanks so much for your post. It is an interesting idea that our bodies are striving to get estrogen- given all the medical interventions to reduce estrogen. As one of the members who has definitely gained weight since diagnosis and struggling to get back to where I was, I really appreciate your advice- you have inspired me. I think a section on diet, exercise, nutrition, and supplements would be wonderful and perhaps a good way for us to encourage each other and provide that specific support.
Thanks again,
Karen